Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Am I Crazy to Want the New Erevo? >

Am I Crazy to Want the New Erevo?

Like Tree121Likes

Am I Crazy to Want the New Erevo?

Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by FunnieKid View Post
Traxxas make a big deal out of the "maxx style" diffs and torque based bla bla center drive. Basically they have just slapped on low grade mod 1.5 ring gears onto the x maxx diff case and put a low grade center diff. Parts that buggys and truggys have been using for 15 years except they use real hardware not cheap form pressed like traxxas does.
Traxxas really pisses me off. I have an Arrma Nero and it pisses me off that Traxxas is suing Arrma. BUT, if this new Revo really has Xmaxx sized diff gears in a 1/8 scale sized truck then they have something. If the gears work most of the time in a very heavy 1/5 sized XMaxx, they should be bulletproof in a much lighter weight Revo. So talk all the smack you want, this new Revo might just be pretty badass, even though I hate Traxxas and will buy anything but Traxxas because I like my big, heavy, waste of money because of Traxxas Nero. Even though Traxxas has made my expensive Nero obsolete, I'm just moving on to other things like my fpv quadcopter and 1/8 nitro. Some day I'm sure I'll do electric land vehicle again but, Suxass ruined it for me for now.
xirton likes this.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
if this new Revo really has Xmaxx sized diff gears in a 1/8 scale sized truck then they have something. If the gears work most of the time in a very heavy 1/5 sized XMaxx, they should be bulletproof in a much lighter weight Revo. this new Revo might just be pretty badass, even though I hate Traxxas
+1
Old 03-03-2018, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FunnieKid View Post
Traxxas make a big deal out of the "maxx style" diffs and torque based bla bla center drive. Basically they have just slapped on low grade mod 1.5 ring gears onto the x maxx diff case and put a low grade center diff. Parts that buggys and truggys have been using for 15 years except they use real hardware not cheap form pressed like traxxas does.
Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
BUT, if this new Revo really has Xmaxx sized diff gears in a 1/8 scale sized truck then they have something. If the gears work most of the time in a very heavy 1/5 sized XMaxx, they should be bulletproof in a much lighter weight Revo. So talk all the smack you want, this new Revo might just be pretty badass, even though I hate Traxxas.
Traxxas marketing strikes again! Micah, going by your post it seems you believe the 2.0 gears are the same as the XMaxx gears or at least close enough. See page 2 of this thread where I posted pics and you can see the difference. The 2.0 gears are lighter in color indicating different metal composition, cheaper and weaker forming techniques and that they are not hardened.

Iíd argue that these changes are significant enough that you canít make any comparison to the XMaxx gears they are based on. Funniekid seems to agree, if you a different opinion thatís fine. But in reality only Traxxas knows how well these hold up and the 5 pages of this thread are mostly speculation sprinkled with some hopes and dreams of backwards parts compatibility.

Hopefully ďReal XMaxxĒ ring and pinions can be swapped in if these 2.0 gears arenít enough.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Outside of the “speculation” I know the electronics will not satisfy my needs let alone the
“Traxxas” 2200kv version motor

I feel the motors I use will destroy those diffs
Old 03-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

It's not really the Traxxas marketing that got me. It was the Big Squid running review that I read. It's the first account of people actually running the truck and not just an "unboxing" video or speculation. They claim to be beating the crap out of the truck and haven't broke anything yet. They claim to be doing large jumps with multiple backflips, standing backflips, and lots of bad landings. All while running nothing but 6s. I don't care if you're running a Tekno, Losi, Arrma, or other rig rated as one of the best. They all end up ruining diff gears when running 6s and beating on them like that. If you're a good driver with great throttle control you can be "careful" when running 6s and make the diffs in a good rig like a Tekno last. The minute you land a backflip on throttle, or do too many standing backflips the gears start to pop and grind leading to their eventual death.
Only time will tell wether the new Revo is the real deal. I'm not saying I believe the hype. I am watching closely as more and more people get this rig, beat on it, and report back. I was excited about the Nero because it had bigger stronger diff gears than a standard 1/8 scale vehicle. I bought one and since owning and beating on it have had zero diff issues. I have however had lots of driveshaft problems. They're crap. Now Traxxas is suing Arrma over the truck and I'm pretty sure Suxass will win. Now I have an expensive discontinued truck.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

I don't trust Traxxas nor Big Squid lol. The latter being sponsored by Traxxas doesn't leave much confidence. But according to BS this new Revo 2.0 could very well be the toughest truck they’ve ever tested, and they've tested the Kraton in the past. That's a pretty bold statement if the R2.0 really is just crap. So either they're not ashamed of anything or the R2.0 is "really" good

I think what you're discussing here is the quality of the diffs. The fact they're downgraded (from X-Maxx) I don't care so much personally. You can't really expect else from Traxxas. BUT if the diffs are X-Maxx size, then firstly they should be miles better then the previous revo, and secondly I could probably swap for true XMaxx diffs (that would be a big plus in my book, having diff options). So, yup, I'm quite positiv thus far
Old 03-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Is the ring size on the e-revo 2.0 the same size as on the x-maxx? I mean if we look at the pictures of the initial x-maxx differentials below and compare them with the pictures of the e-revo 2.0 diffs, we can see that the ring gear on the e-revo 2.0 is smaller, the teeth are shorter in lenght:

X-Maxx 6s

E-revo 2.0.Also the internal gears seem to be smaller and they don't share the same size components either, if we judge by the 3D animated pictures.

Remember this picture, well that is a picture from 2015 comparing the size between the x-maxx 6s diffs and the e-revo diffs, and the 8s have even larger ring gear than the x-maxx 6s version.

If we look at this picture we can see that the ring size is roughly the same size as the center diff ring gear which is no where close to the size of the x-maxx ring gear.

The whole "Maxx" style diff comes from the fact that the e-revo 2.0 diff share some of the design similarities with the x-maxx diff thats is, clear and simple. I am not surprised if the ring size is the same as on the old e-revo, because the biggest issue were the internal gears that shredded due to only having two gears instead of 4.

Last edited by FunnieKid; 03-03-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Whatever size they are. It will be interesting to see if they are any better than what is currently used in 1/8 scale stuff.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

FunnieKid, you could be right about the size difference. Come to think of it, there's probably no way an X-maxx size ring gear would ever fit the revo bulks, and I haven't heard they've made the bulks larger. I'll have a look at my revo tomorrow. Anyone know the diameter of the X-maxx ring gear?

Good thing they've changed to a 4 gear setup - should help.
I want 6S approvel, anything else is useless.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

R2.0 (xirton, I like this designation for the new truck, good job) bulkheads are brand new. For those who haven’t looked through pics they’re still 2 pieces but are now a top and a bottom. There is no longer a diff case, the bulkheads hold the diff similar to a 1/8 buggy/truggy. Getting rid of the diff case alone grants them room for a larger ring gear. With the seam now horizontal instead of vertical they can make the top and bottom thinner around the ring gear without sacrificing strength in the more critical bearing areas. I have no doubt the ring gear is XMaxx size.

As for swapping real XMaxx gears into the R2.0, that we’ll have to wait and see. Been looking at some pics, getting confused about what are original 6s XMaxx, what are upgraded, etc. Never paid much attention to the XMaxx but I think I got it straight now. The pinions are way too different and would require custom bulkheads to run in R2.0 truck. If the tooth count and gear pitch are the same (as the R2.0 pinion) it appears the ring gears will work as the diff cup appears the same to me. Plus the diff cup is a plastic part, there wouldn’t be any cost savings to downgrading that part, unlike the ring gear where they can shave some $ by using lower grade materials and manufacturing processes.

Last edited by Overdriven; 03-03-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

The E-Revo isn't a monster truck, it's a monster truggy. That ought to explain the body styling.

I will never understand people hating on Traxxas so much. My Traxxas vehicles have been among the most reliable RCs I've owned. I think people who hate Traxxas must be the type of people who hate any successful brand that doesn't cater specifically to them, and the durability complaints are just rationalizations. It's like the idiots who argue about whether Ford, Chevy, or Mopar is better.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
I have no doubt the ring gear is XMaxx size
Well this is confusing, but if they've changed the bulks then there's hope. Thanks for the info. I guess we'll just have to wait and see
Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

One can clearly see that the e-revo 2.0 ring gear has shorter teeth than the x-maxx 6s ring gear according to the animated pictures, and the pinions are not the same. Design is similar and the whole idea that e-revo 2.0 has x-maxx size diffs are based on a missunderstanding.

Traxxas are conductiong bad business practices because they apply for patent for stuff they didn't invent and since they are the only ones having the funds to fight the competitors they basically have monopoly on certan solutions which is stupid. If the general customers would be smarter and more well informed traxxas would have never become this big to beginn with, and a typical casual daddy customer seem to be fyrstormer for example. But yeah traxxas vehicles have massive durability issues I know, I owned a e-maxx and not a single stock component was well designed or used quality materials. I look at facts, and according to myself it is a fact that traxxas use cheap materials on their driveline components and they did that on their x-maxx 6s, on the x-maxx 8s and on the e-revo 2.0. The fact that they still use plastic geared servos in 2018 is beyond me, those servos are extremely bad.

Traxxas had negative reputation among enthusiasts long before this patent issue and I totally agree with those saying that traxxas produce overhyped, low quality, highly priced stuff. It is a fact, it is a part of their business model as fancy advertising videos and racing teams cost alot of money. As for the e-revo being a truggy instead of a monster truck, well traxxas advertise it like a monster truck and its design looks goofy because they cater to those type of customers that want it easy and simple and fancy i.e. daddys comming home from work or rich daddy buying his kid a fancy truck.

Even the x-maxx 6s was a total failue and I feel sorry for all those 6s customers when traxxas released their updated version a few months later, and their power up kit is a total ripp off that don't even include the 8s rated motor. The "x-maxx" brand itself is 75% advertise and 25% real value to the customers.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I own both a 6s and 8s XMaxx. Yeah the 6s had issues. But wasnít a failure. And it was a full year before the 8s version. Not like Arrma that screwed those of us that bought the original Nero with the Big Rock less then 90 days later. With $200 worth of upgrades.
Iíd been suprised if these arenít the 6s ring gears. I tried to find part number but nothing listed. Maybe someone that got the demo models will open it up.

As for the Big Squid review. They need video! Iíve been on them about it for couple years. Itís ridiculous that they donít. Itís far too easy today with a phone to not post video with a review.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

comparing the diffs to Xmaxx diffs is not as important as comparing the diffs to the other 8th scale trucks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service