Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bigtim1985
  • 1 Post By Steel_Rain

Old 12-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Cen Collosus XT vs Traxxas Xmaxx 8s

Having a tough time deciding between the two. Will be using for bashing for the most part. I know both trucks are durable just having the hardest time picking one or the other.

Which one is faster out of the box? Better equipped out of the box?

side note: i haven't counted out the LST xxl 3E but from what i've heard, it's not even comparable to the above 2.

Thanks in advance.
titansavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I personally would go with the 8s Xmaxx. It's a fun truck, and it takes a beating. I bought the original 6s version and did the kershaw motor mount and huge leopard motor.

I have the regular non-stretched cen colossus as well, and It's a great truck too but doesn't compare to the X-maxx size wise. X-maxx is a much heavier truck with (2) 4s batteries in it.

I would watch a bunch of youtube video's and decide which you like more. Either way you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind the x-maxx is quite a bit more expensive.
titansavage likes this.
bigtim1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #3
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I owe both and I like them both. The X-Maxx is a turn key truck that, in my experience, has been bash worthy without any major problems. Take off the stupid wheeler bar and get a real set of bumpers/underbody skid plates from T-Bone. After that, it's off to the races. Downsides? Price. I have a set of MX43s, T-bone gear and some SMC 4s packs. Total all that up including the price of the truck and your at about $1400 with tax.

The Cen on the other hand doesn't come out of the box as reliable, but can be made just as bash worthy and fun as the X-Maxx. The must do's:

Shock upgrade is a must. The factory shocks are great at one thing...leaking oil. I don't care for the stock spring either. Get a set of Losi LST-XXL2e shocks and standoffs.

Upgrade the wheel nuts before you run it. They fall off all the time.

Install a battery tray that keeps the battery in position or your packs will suffer.

The servo is a toss out, upgrade to something with atleast 300 oz./inch's.

Check you mesh/pinion. Mine was loose (as in finger tight) and loctite the mount screws and grub.

Bedline/Flexseal the body ASAP. It'll help, but expect to replace the body at some point in the future, it doesn't hold up well.

Using 6s and the stock pinion on warm days (80+F), my motor temps were about 180d. I installed a heatsink/fan but that only brought them down to about 165d, still to hot. I keep my trigger finger in check when running 6s, especially though taller grass. I think I'm in my CEN for about $1200.00

So there ya have it. Getting into 1/7-1/6 scales ain't cheap. The X-Maxx is much more expensive to buy out of the gate...but seems to hold up and is loads of fun. The CEN is cheaper on day one, but it's going to cost you time and money to make it as reliable as the X-Maxx.

I wish Arrma would make a 1/6 scale...
titansavage likes this.
Steel_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Yea I’m leaning towards the xmaxx. I love the cen but the sheer size of it and it will be expensive but it’s the I think start up. What kind of batteries are you using? I’m brand new to electric. From what I understand. Certain batteries will give more speed and power? Is that accurate?

I really appreciate your guys input.
titansavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansavage View Post
Yea I’m leaning towards the xmaxx. I love the cen but the sheer size of it and it will be expensive but it’s the I think start up. What kind of batteries are you using? I’m brand new to electric. From what I understand. Certain batteries will give more speed and power? Is that accurate?

I really appreciate your guys input.
I hear ya.

In my opinion, the best choice for batteries are these guys:

SMC Racing

I'm running these in the X-Maxx:

True Spec Premium 14.8V 6700mAh 131Amps/90C

I also have a set of 4s 9200mah, but I don't see these on the SMC website anymore...strange.

As far as speed/power increases with "better" packs...eh. I think for the bashing crowd...this is debatable. Obviously, I'll tell you to get the best battery(s) you can afford. But anything over a 40c discharge rate, isn't something I can tell the difference with.

Will a 5 year old Traxxas 20c pack that's seen water preform worse then a brand new 60c SMC pack? Of course it will.

Counterpoint...will a $90 name brand (Dynamite Reaction) 4s 50c pack out perform a budget $50 (SMC) pack of the same discharge rate? My experience tells me it won't.

I'm by no means a racer, but I have experience on SCT and buggy tracks and in those cases were "bursts" of consistent speed win races, then yes, I can see why you would want a 100c+ discharge pack that's very expensive and reliable.

Bashing? Not so much. I ran my eRevo on 5+ year old 30c lipo's for several years and when I switched to new, SMC packs, I could tell a difference. For EVERYTHING else I've run (surface RC's, planes are a different animal), I cannot tell a difference in 40c+ or higher packs.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Steel rain: I agree with ya somewhat. Most people in fact kinda get douped on the battery c ratings. But going from a old .(let’s say 3-5yrs) battery at 30c then you go buy a brand new 65c it will in fact feel you put nitrous on it. I’m talking about bashing but if they are brand new the outcome might not be so drastic...so batteries and motor draw are not built same just like brand to brand between either as well. It’s part of the hobby and electric world I guess.

The best advice I can give is research watch reviews as impartial as you can research some more then go buy a battery and try it. Chances are you chose right
Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Xmaxx for sure.
mxracer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Perhaps also consider the DBXL E. It's a true 5th scale and is tough as old boots. Works out of the box but there's a big aftermarket for it.
mondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to m0thertruckah1

I wanted the xmaxx too but when i saw the dbxlE im leaning towards it.coz of the looks
Old 12-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0thertruckah1 View Post
I wanted the xmaxx too but when i saw the dbxlE im leaning towards it.coz of the looks
Owning two X-Maxx vehicle's (one 6s with the power kit, the other stock 8s) as well as the DBXL-E, there is more to this then the shear scale of these vehicles. The driving style is completely different and therefore, it will leave you with two completely different experiences.

The X-Maxx is more of brute and has a "go anywhere" type of feel to it. Both of mine have been tough and have seen many bash sessions. Besides the body on the 6S version, I don't really have any issues. This isn't really made for handling or speed runs and doesn't have the "tossability" of DBXL-E.

The DBXL-E is more refined and while it can still bash, it doesn't have the ground clearance or ability to climb huge obstacles. It also doesn't clear as much when it's running uneven surfaces and that can be a problem. It's at home on a race track and your local bash spot, but your not going to have the same experience if your picking this one just based on it's size and ability to bash.

The DBXL-E isn't a Monster Truck, just like the X-Maxx isn't a Desert Buggy. Pick the one that your going to get the most enjoyment out of, that's the best way to decided.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

I have fixed up and bashed 3 xmaxx's. 1 older 6s version converted to 8s and two 8s ones. I have experience with truggy racing and alot of other different rc cars and trucks. In my opionion the xmaxx is very well designed as a all out basher. Its easy to work on, and fairly reliable. The weak points I have found are the speed control and motor runs a bit hot if you like to upgrade to more speed out of the box. Stock the truck is pretty good.
SvTPower is offline   Reply With Quote