Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cmbscx10

Smt10 lower control/suspension arms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Smt10 lower control/suspension arms?

I just bought my kid a smt10 GD and 48 hrs later or about 5 packs, I need a new idler gear in the trans (slipper clutch came to tight from the factory?) and a new front lower control arm (hit a piece of drift wood).

I’m looking for lower control arms recommendations. I’m leaning towards vanquish because they look tough and would last. But the ssd arms look tough too plus they have ball ends which are easy to replace. I don’t think the vanquish would break but I’m not into buying things twice. So what do you guys think?

And are the front and back lower control arms interchangeable? They look the same but thought I’d ask.

Last edited by Derejf; 12-11-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Missing (not)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nothing wrong with VP in most cases but definitely not their trailing arms. The rod ends wear way to fast.

I would choose the SSD over the VP simply because of the cost, the rod ends are Frenched in making them a beefier solution and I have read they are a little less wearing on the aluminum itself.

For me, I would go SS JAC Trailing arms for a bullet proof scenario and just a few $$ more. Plus you get color choices.

https://supershafty.com/collections/...i-score-bomber
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cmbscx10
Nothing wrong with VP in most cases but definitely not their trailing arms. The rod ends wear way to fast.

I would choose the SSD over the VP simply because of the cost, the rod ends are Frenched in making them a beefier solution and I have read they are a little less wearing on the aluminum itself.

For me, I would go SS JAC Trailing arms for a bullet proof scenario and just a few $$ more. Plus you get color choices
Thanks for your input and the link. Those look very nice. I didn’t find those when I was searching.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Do you have any recommendations for the transmission gears? I was thinking about replacing all three gears with Hot Racing ones. They have a light weight set but didn’t figure it would make much of a difference so was leaning towards the regular weight ones. As for the transmission case, is there any real benefit to having aluminum ones.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derejf
Do you have any recommendations for the transmission gears? I was thinking about replacing all three gears with Hot Racing ones. They have a light weight set but didn’t figure it would make much of a difference so was leaning towards the regular weight ones. As for the transmission case, is there any real benefit to having aluminum ones.
All depends on the power you going to run. I picked together a SS bullet proof trans and saved a few dollars but my rigs are heavy and run 3-4S. No need to go bananas if you don't need to. A idler gear which you have done and good bearings will go a long way.

If you have the $$ and the trans is opened up I would do all 3 gears and good bearings like Fast Eddy or Avid. After that then a SS motor plate and a Robinson slipper if the stocker can't hold whatever power you have. The lightened vs regular is not really and issue IMO unless you are building a lightweight comp rig. Whatever is cheaper and available.

The Alum case is nice but again depends on your funds and power. Unless you are big brushless power it is more bling than anything.

My last SS Clone I pieced together
Attached Thumbnails Smt10 lower control/suspension arms?-image.jpeg  
MongolPete likes this.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by cmbscx10
All depends on the power you going to run. I picked together a SS bullet proof trans and saved a few dollars
WOW SS is really proud of there transmissions. Definitely don’t need to get that crazy. All I’m running is a castle 3800 on 2s maybe the occasional 3s.
Do you know if anyone makes a auto differential locker or a selectable locker that would work on the smt10. I looked around and couldn’t find anything.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like the ssd trailing arms as well. The rod ends aren't the strongest but easily changed.

I run the hot racing trans in mine but about any metal trans years work very well.