Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Proline Pro MT 4x4 >

Proline Pro MT 4x4

Like Tree148Likes

Proline Pro MT 4x4

Old 10-20-2017, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I run 4s on the 2200kv in my buggy most of the time. It feels pretty tame to me now. I run 6s on my 2200kv on speed runs. With my biggest pinion only 18T I'm in the 70s.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

4S in something smaller than a 1/8 buggy is nuts IMO. I want to try 5S this winter but no way am I going 6S.

Skip to min 115
https://youtu.be/pNKT5yTVjlY
Old 10-20-2017, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This looks like an excellent path for my nephews into the hobby. I am seriously impressed with the build quality of the Pro-2 Buggy, but like others mentioned the support is where the difficulty may come into play compared to Traxxas, which is everywhere.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Notbrick
This looks like an excellent path for my nephews into the hobby. I am seriously impressed with the build quality of the Pro-2 Buggy, but like others mentioned the support is where the difficulty may come into play compared to Traxxas, which is everywhere.
I would also consider the Redcat MT10E if you're nephews are just getting into the hobby. It's a heck of a truck for $300. Brushless and literally only NEEDS the steel skidplate on the front to make it durable. It has all of the other upgrades already compared to something like the Stampede 4x4 VXL. My 5 year old runs the heck out of his and we have yet to have a problem at all w/ it.

The Pro-MT 4x4 is twice the price...and you really can only appreciate it fully after driving the previously mentioned trucks like the Stampede and the Redcat.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbdynsty25
I would also consider the Redcat MT10E if you're nephews are just getting into the hobby. It's a heck of a truck for $300. Brushless and literally only NEEDS the steel skidplate on the front to make it durable. It has all of the other upgrades already compared to something like the Stampede 4x4 VXL. My 5 year old runs the heck out of his and we have yet to have a problem at all w/ it.

The Pro-MT 4x4 is twice the price...and you really can only appreciate it fully after driving the previously mentioned trucks like the Stampede and the Redcat.
You know thats true. They do have some experience with RC but nothing of a true hobby grade. They are kind to their belongings, which makes me feel better. Ill take a look at the Redcat, thank you.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmbscx10
4S in something smaller than a 1/8 buggy is nuts IMO. I want to try 5S this winter but no way am I going 6S.

Skip to min 115
https://youtu.be/pNKT5yTVjlY
Agreed, big difference between the power delivery of an 1/8 system in a 1/10 car vs. 1/8.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Honestly, there's nothing more annoying when I'm driving a monster truck at maybe half throttle and I want to get on the throttle more and it just pulls the front wheels straight up in the air. It's cool to be able to pull wheelies when you want to, versus all the time because the truck is overpowered.
flat6 and RC Juice like this.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MaX-D
Honestly, there's nothing more annoying when I'm driving a monster truck at maybe half throttle and I want to get on the throttle more and it just pulls the front wheels straight up in the air. It's cool to be able to pull wheelies when you want to, versus all the time because the truck is overpowered.
This is where I'm at too. As long as it's got enough power to backflip off a jump then I'm cool w/ it. Wheelies only tear up your truck.
flat6 and RC Juice like this.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Tech Initiate

So ran the MT4x4 for a few hours this afternoon and night. The thing I realized is w/ the Castle 1/8 system, it needed some heavier weight diff fluid. Way too much power loss under acceleration to the front when it's up in the air.

The manual says it has 100K in it...and so I cracked her open to put in some heavier stuff. Well it was almost bone dry in the center diff. It basically coated the gears and that's it. So I cleaned it out and put some 200k in and it was a little better, but I think I even need to go thicker. 200k is all I've got currently. It helps, but I'm still getting a bit too much power loss. We'll see what I can find online that's thicker so I can try that out.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have the Castle sensored Mamba X/2400Kv combo in my Ten-SCBE right now (where it runs on 3s), and I'm considering putting in this truck. Can anyone with this truck comment on how that system would do in the Pro-MT 4x4? Would 3s or 4s be better?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Let's see some pics and vids of your MT please.
The center diff is a big difference from the Redcat MT10E. It's good to hear that someone is having a good experience with it. Redcat seems to be stepping up their quality but I'm still in wait and see mode with them.
The Proline MT looks super solid. The drivetrain looks bulletproof but I'm sure someone will test it past it's limits. It should be able to handle 3s all day.
I saw a Pro2 buggy at my local race track and I was very impressed with it. Hopefully Proline comes out with a SCT and buggy in this new platform.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by skeeler
I have the Castle sensored Mamba X/2400Kv combo in my Ten-SCBE right now (where it runs on 3s), and I'm considering putting in this truck. Can anyone with this truck comment on how that system would do in the Pro-MT 4x4? Would 3s or 4s be better?
I also have a 10-year-old sensorless Castle 2200Kv 1/8 system in the 8ight that I converted to brushless before the 8ight-E was available. That may be a good match for the Pro-MT 4x4.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

So ran the MT4x4 for a few hour...
How are the diffs holding up? Do they require additional shims? Many people had trouble with the Arrma 1/8 diffs unless the re-shimmed. I did that to my Outcasy before the first run and have never had trouble.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
Let's see some pics and vids of your MT please.
The center diff is a big difference from the Redcat MT10E. It's good to hear that someone is having a good experience with it. Redcat seems to be stepping up their quality but I'm still in wait and see mode with them.
The Proline MT looks super solid. The drivetrain looks bulletproof but I'm sure someone will test it past it's limits. It should be able to handle 3s all day.
I saw a Pro2 buggy at my local race track and I was very impressed with it. Hopefully Proline comes out with a SCT and buggy in this new platform.
Soon as I'm allowed to post some pics on this site I will! Gonna get some running video on Sunday.

The Redcat has been solid as hell...can't complain about it at all. I did put the center diff in it for 25 bucks, just because I wanted to be able to limit some of the strain my 5 year old put on the axles...plus he hates doing wheelies because he can't steer it when the front is in the air...so that helped with that as well.

Originally Posted by skeeler
How are the diffs holding up? Do they require additional shims? Many people had trouble with the Arrma 1/8 diffs unless the re-shimmed. I did that to my Outcasy before the first run and have never had trouble.
No issues whatsoever so far. Sound just as good as they did from the jump. Granted, only about 3 hours of run time so far, but I can already tell it's gonna be great long term.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Soon as I'm allowed to post some pics on this site I will!
You can also upload photos to Photobucket or another hosting site, then post links here.

Thanks for the feedback on the diffs. Did you shim them at all?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.