Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go right to the source
Prolineracing.com
looks to have most all parts in stock
Old 02-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Steering slop mod....

After realizing I was getting tons of worsening wheel slop involving the steering rack, I came up with a simple and effective mod. I discovered the 2 small, ill fitting bearings that the rack pivots on were totally blown. Even new ones don't fit the bolts snugly and are simply not up to task. What I did was stacked 2 racks on top of each other and replaced the bearings with 2 3M aluminum spacers 4mm tall. They are just a smidge taller than the racks allowing movement when installed on the bellcrank. I used 4 thin 3M washers total, one on each end of the spacers. Swapped the 2 3x22mm caphead bolts with 3x25mm button head. So far so good, took almost all the slop away and turns Great!!!

Blown stock crap bearings next to new ones and spacers

Spacer pivots no problem in 2 stacked racks.
.AJ. likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rich Duperbash View Post
After realizing I was getting tons of worsening wheel slop involving the steering rack, I came up with a simple and effective mod. I discovered the 2 small, ill fitting bearings that the rack pivots on were totally blown. Even new ones don't fit the bolts snugly and are simply not up to task. What I did was stacked 2 racks on top of each other and replaced the bearings with 2 3M aluminum spacers 4mm tall. They are just a smidge taller than the racks allowing movement when installed on the bellcrank. I used 4 thin 3M washers total, one on each end of the spacers. Swapped the 2 3x22mm caphead bolts with 3x25mm button head. So far so good, took almost all the slop away and turns Great!!!

Blown stock crap bearings next to new ones and spacers

Spacer pivots no problem in 2 stacked racks.
Great mod rich!
SYSTECH likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by .AJ. View Post
Wheelie bar? What are people using? Iíve seen TBR make a bumper with a bolt on one, but Iím really not a TBR fan and think their bumpers look horrid... So was wondering if you guys had found any others that can be modded/bodged to fit?

Cheers
I have seen a Traxxas jato bar bolted to stock bumper and it looked good, I'll see if I can find a pic!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Floundern45 View Post
I have seen a Traxxas jato bar bolted to stock bumper and it looked good, I'll see if I can find a pic!
Here ya go from the proline 4x4 my owners group.

.AJ. likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Great mod rich!
Thanks brother!!! I was so stoked when I realized the spacers fit so perfectly. The stock bearings are too stubby and don't stand a chance with harder bashing.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rich Duperbash View Post
Thanks brother!!! I was so stoked when I realized the spacers fit so perfectly. The stock bearings are too stubby and don't stand a chance with harder bashing.
👍🏻
Old 02-13-2018, 05:00 AM
Tech Addict

Painted my shell, ready for a first bash Saturday

nismoflip likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tip on the loose steering Rich!!! Just to be clear, you're stacking two steering racks on top of each other in addition to the 4mm 3m spacers? Would you mind getting a picture of it all mounted up?

Floundern45, Thanks for the tip on the wheelie bar!!! This truck definitely needs one. I'm surprised that Proline hasn't offered one as an upgrade item at least.

.AJ., That's a good looking truck!!! I'm interested in hearing about your experience with it.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Backyard RC View Post
Thanks for the tip on the loose steering Rich!!! Just to be clear, you're stacking two steering racks on top of each other in addition to the 4mm 3m spacers? Would you mind getting a picture of it all mounted up?

Floundern45, Thanks for the tip on the wheelie bar!!! This truck definitely needs one. I'm surprised that Proline hasn't offered one as an upgrade item at least.

.AJ., That's a good looking truck!!! I'm interested in hearing about your experience with it.
Proline has no wheelie bar because Traxxas holds the patent according to Matt Wallace, guessing they didn't want to pay for it
Old 02-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Wtf, how can someone have a patent on a wheelie bar, thanks Traxxarse for slowly killing the hobby.....
Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by .AJ. View Post
Wtf, how can someone have a patent on a wheelie bar, thanks Traxxarse for slowly killing the hobby.....
It's smart business on Traxxas part but I agree makes innovation tougher( and pricy)

Here's the post from Matt too.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM
Tech Rookie

It's smart business on Traxxas part but I agree makes innovation tougher( and pricy)
[IMG]
Here's the post from Matt too.
Why don't they just patent shaft, motor mount, body mounts what the hell why not just patent whole RC car too while they are at it so their wont be any competition. Really how can you just patent something so broad like wheelie bar! Gheez
.AJ. likes this.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Um...
Old 02-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

On the receiver box? That makes no sense whatsoever. Every manufacturer has a receiver box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service