R/C Tech Forums

Sponsored by:
Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks

Like Tree50Likes

Old 12-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default gear mesh and steering

Well fellas...I've an explanation - neither of you are crazy!!

Backyard RC: 3D is correct for 15T

NevWeezy: 2D is correct for 16T

Now that seems illogical right? Nay, nay!

It would seem the inserts were stamped incorrectly when matching the offset with the dimple indicators. Let me illustrate that with an image.

Look at the offset from left to right, it goes...

1-Dimple
3-Dimple
2-Dimple
4-Dimple

I assume 3D and 2D got interposed when stamping...i.e. 2D was supposed to get three dimples and 3D was supposed to get two dimples.

There ya have it folks empirical evidence. The gearing chart, according to what Celt is going to do: Pro-Line feel free to comment...the error doesn't hurt anything, just needs clearing up. outside = dimples facing the outside of chassis, inside = dimples facing the inside of chassis, as viewed from the bottom, front facing up (North)

14T - 1-dimple outside
15T - 3-dimple outside
16T - 2-dimple outside
17T - 4-dimple outside
18T - 4-dimple inside
19T - 2-dimple inside
20T - 3-dimple inside
21T - 1-dimple inside

Getting to the steering and other bits now....but hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Proline Pro MT 4x4-inserts.jpg  
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #182
Tech Regular

I was able to test mine out for the first time. It was really fun! I'm waiting for some diff fluids to come in the mail so what I'm running is stock. It seems a thicker shock oil will be better too.
The motor worked pretty well but it got up to 140F which is probably too high considering it was pretty cold outside. In the video you can see my shadow a few times and you'll see I'm bundled up like that kid in "A Christmas story".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sU12N_lyY
celt and stewdog like this.
Backyard RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #183
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well like an addict I walked into my hobby shop today for a set of body posts and a-arms for my race buggy and walked out with an MT4 so I will be putting that together tonight. Can't friggen wait. Normally I am a hardcore stampede fan, I choose to believe I have one of the best built 2wd stampede's ever. This is of course backed up by many others opinions and not just my own.....but for the amount of money I would spend to make a 4wd stampede as awesome as this truck, may as well just get this one. I seriously can't wait to play with this tomorrow.
djgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #184
Tech Regular

UPS just delivered my truck! I’m excited to start diving in and get it set up.

First thing I checked was if rc8t hub extenders will fit...to run some bigger tires
They will work...just need to drill the pin hole in the hub a hair larger. The rc8t hubs use a slightly larger cross pin. I’m gonna probably mostly run the mx28’s. But I’ll definitely be messing around with larger tires.

I already took out the center diff and filled it with 1 mil silicone. Diff comes out easy, but you have to remove the front brace to get it back in. The front dog bone is almost impossible to get back in place without removing the brace that’s above it.
chainsaw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #185
Tech Regular

1 mil in the center, that's going to be a wheelie machine. How do you get 1 mil into the diffs, with a butter knife?

I took my center diff out but put it back in because I wanted to run it instead of wait for the oils to arrive. I didn't have to take out the brace. Maybe I was lucky. It wasn't easy but I was able to support it from underneath with a flat screwdriver until I could get the outdrive on it.

I'm anxious to see how all your trucks turn out.
Backyard RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #186
Tech Regular

Well this is stupid Proline!
The lower hub pillow ball retainer screw in thing doesn’t recess into the plastic hub. The wheels bind in front and don’t spin freely.
Am I missing something?
I can easily sand it down flush...or directly go to wider hubs, ...but really?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #187
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard RC View Post
1 mil in the center, that's going to be a wheelie machine. How do you get 1 mil into the diffs, with a butter knife?

I took my center diff out but put it back in because I wanted to run it instead of wait for the oils to arrive. I didn't have to take out the brace. Maybe I was lucky. It wasn't easy but I was able to support it from underneath with a flat screwdriver until I could get the outdrive on it.

I'm anxious to see how all your trucks turn out.

We will see how the 1 mil goes. I’ll be running 4s so at least all 4 tires might balloon evenly

I guess if you’re really good at playing that Operation game you could finagle that front dog bone in there without removing the brace. I tried and couldn’t.

Last edited by chainsaw10; 12-07-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #188
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw10 View Post
Well this is stupid Proline!
The lower hub pillow ball retainer screw in thing doesn’t recess into the plastic hub. The wheels bind in front and don’t spin freely.
Am I missing something?
I can easily sand it down flush...or directly go to wider hubs, ...but really?
something is definitely wrong ! not proline for sure ! how does it look on the other side ?
I would take things out and try again ; i had a similar trouble back then with my hobao buggy and it was always my fault !
Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #189
Tech Regular

Figured it out. They threaded in the pivot ball screw crooked. Not really happy ..had to sort of force it to thread in straight. Hopefully it doesn’t pose a problem. I’ll order up some spare hubs just n case.

Last edited by chainsaw10; 12-07-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #190
Tech Regular

Electronics all set. Just got to paint up the body.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #191
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw10 View Post
Figured it out. They threaded in the pivot ball screw crooked. Not really happy ..had to sort of force it to thread in straight. Hopefully it doesnít pose a problem. Iíll order up some spare hubs just check n case.
i saw a close up here https://youtu.be/hEaCSOVKI5k @ 7min26 : same thing ! you were right !
Old 12-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #192
Tech Regular

Simple paint job...ready to roll these are some mx28 Badlands I already had. The new ones are already on eBay.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #193
Tech Regular

Iím gonna try out these Shockwave tires....and a few others once I fit the extended hubs.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:52 PM   #194
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post

It would seem the inserts were stamped incorrectly when matching the offset with the dimple indicators. Let me illustrate that with an image.

1-Dimple
3-Dimple
2-Dimple
4-Dimple

I assume 3D and 2D got interposed when stamping...i.e. 2D was supposed to get three dimples and 3D was supposed to get two dimples.

There ya have it folks empirical evidence. The gearing chart, according to what Celt is going to do: Pro-Line feel free to comment...the error doesn't hurt anything, just needs clearing up. outside = dimples facing the outside of chassis, inside = dimples facing the inside of chassis, as viewed from the bottom, front facing up (North)

14T - 1-dimple outside
15T - 3-dimple outside
16T - 2-dimple outside
17T - 4-dimple outside
18T - 4-dimple inside
19T - 2-dimple inside
20T - 3-dimple inside
21T - 1-dimple inside

Thats makes sense, i just checked my inserts and they are exactly like yours in your picture. They stamped the 2 dimple and 3 dimple with eachothers dimples. I knew i was not crazy and the 2 dot had perfect mesh with the 16t. Glad that got cleared up.

Here is my body i painted, turned out pretty nice. First time doing a 2 tone and i got a little bit of blead but its hardly noticable. Im happy with it, since its gonna get destroyed anyways...lol

NevWeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #195
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post

1-Dimple
3-Dimple
2-Dimple
4-Dimple

14T - 1-dimple outside
15T - 3-dimple outside
16T - 2-dimple outside
17T - 4-dimple outside
18T - 4-dimple inside
19T - 2-dimple inside
20T - 3-dimple inside
21T - 1-dimple inside

Yeah youíre right. I just used the stock installed inserts(two dots) with the stock 16t pinion. Itís perfect mesh. But....if Iím changing gearing a lot I may just not use the inserts. Looks like you can just simply use some button head screws and slide the motor mount to adjust gear mesh yourself. You really donít need to use the inserts if you donít want to.