Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Default Onroad Nitro Anyone?

I think its time for a Nitro sedan thread. Just finished assembling the new GT-4R but will have to wait until HOA in June to run it on a large track. I like what I see in the kit. I'm sticking with the GT-4W for the smaller hobbytown tracks.

Foam for HOA but most likely rubber for hobbytown. There were rumors of another track in down by Richfield with new ashpalt I would run foam there too.

Question for the TCHR owners: Are you going to be running/hosting nitro sedan races anywhere this summer?

Last edited by LooseCannon; 04-01-2002 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2002, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is a good question, we have some that want an off-road nitro track, and some that want an on-road. We could run on- road but I think the lot is a bit rough. We are looking for a site to possibly run nitro but nothing yet.
Old 04-01-2002, 02:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is there any way to build a off-road track where the bank used to be?
Old 04-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Loose Cannon, how do you like the GT4? I have an X-Ray now and am thinking of getting the GT4 Pro. I was also thinking of the NTC3 but had a TC3 before the X-Ray and spent too much time fixing it, the X-Ray is great! I have a O.S. 12cv I was thinking of starting with but my hobby guy strongly reccomends no pull start, which would mean buying an engine and starter right away so that puts it out of reach for a while. Give me your feedback please.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

This will be my 2nd season with the GT4 and i'm very happy with it. The pro comes with all the goodies too so you won't have to upgrade so much. As far as the engine, the CV will be down on power compared to what some guys are running. However, it may be better to drive that engine for a while until you get used to the nitro sedan. Ditch the pull start, you can do that without buying a new motor. All you need is a dremel and a backplate and gasket($5). For the starter box, there are plenty of guys that will let you use theirs. Can't comment on the NTC3 haven't driven one; most guys around here haven't raced theirs yet either so you may want to read through the threads on this board.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

LETS USE THE BANK LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2002, 05:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Can one person by himself race nitro? I was told last night that it takes two, and if that's the case I'm out. I would be a one-man team.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Who told you that crap?

You only need 2 people if the main is longer than 5mins. At the Heart of America races they run 20 minute mains so you have to pit and refuel. You would need a pitman in that case so then ask a fellow racer to help you out. However for the weekly races at Hobbytown you don't need a pitman.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

and if you do run the longer mains, someone is usually always willing to help out pitting, ie other classes..... hobbytown will probably be starting after the 15th of may, working on a schedule now with dan............. and the hideaway track is a great possibility, would be comparable track to running the hoa series, recommend foam on all surfaces for the money nothing sticks and lastes longer, mounted elligi are around 12 a pair....... last check

email me for info on the hideaway deal............. it will take more than justa few of us to make that a reality... [email protected]
Old 04-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Andrew,

Can you work on getting Dan to start earlier. May 15th???? Last year we started at the end of April. Broke in new motor today.....smell the nitro... i'm ready to get racing.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Loose Cannon
Are you running the GT4R or the W. Do they race together? What are the differences and do they run foam at Hobbytown? I asked Dan and thought he said rubber but maybe he thought I meant sedans.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Joevano,

I run both. I run the GT4W in the rubber tire class and will be running the GT4R with foams tires mostly at the Heart of America races but I may run them at Hobbytown also.

The GT-R has a narrower rear suspension allowing for wide (32mm) foam rear tires. It has on one-way up front and a solid rear axles. The front wheels are over driven to compensate for the smaller diameter front tires. It comes with the lowered engine mounts, aluminum radio post supports, aluminum overdrive pulleys, adjustable front sway, a lower profile radio plate, and a lower front shock tower to allow for the GTP or Lola body.

The GT4-W has gear diffs front and rear and comes with nothing standard. Yokomo know offers the GT4 Pro which is the same as the GT-w but comes with lots of aluminum goodies including the front sway bar and lowered engine mounts. Both the W and Pro have the standard 200 mm wide suspension setup.

The GT4W, R, and Pro are all sedans. You can run foam or rubber but at hobbytown we have seperate classes for both. Dan, at hobby warehouse, is opposed to foams his opinion being that the hobbytown asphalt is too abrasive for foams. However, the choice is yours. I may run both and I know a couple of guys are going to try foams more this year.

I noticed at hobby warehouse they have some of the GT4-W with RB .12 combo kits left that are a great deal. You may want to look into that if you can live without the sway bar and lower mounts or buying them seperately. Otherwise, I would go with the new Pro kit.

Hope that helps.

Stephen
Old 04-08-2002, 07:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Stephen

I really appreciate your help on this. I am trying to look beyond hobby stores for advice to be comfortable with my decision. It would be nice if we could talk in person. I would really love to see these side by side to compare. At TCHR, you have to run sedan bodies. If you say these both run as sedans, does it matter what body you use? I would love to get away from the Stratus and run the Lola for nitro, will that work on either car? Since you have both, and it seems I could race both at Hobbytown, which would you recommend for starters?

Thanks again for all your help

Joe in Champlin
Old 04-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

You can use any sedan body on either car. The lola and GTP bodies need the lower front shock tower the comes with the "R" but you can buy it seperately for the Pro or W. However, I'm not sure whether Hobbytown will allow the lola or gtp bodies. You can use any sedan or coupe body they're not real picky but we'll have to wait until the first race for a decision on the lola or gtp. I can stop by TCHR Thursday with both cars if you like.

Last edited by LooseCannon; 04-08-2002 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Stepen
I would really appreciate that if you could. I will be there Wednesday as well.
Thanks again for your help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.