[email protected]

Old 05-15-2002, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

greg/ anyone. is there a gain from usign a diff. insert then hpi red? like green, or echo red, or jb foams?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default NTC3 at Hobbytown

Mark,

Good to hear from you. When I built the NTC3 for Jerry(it'll be there tonight if the weather holds), I checked how the cars suspension setup felt against the Mugen I ran last year which was incredilbly good on that surface. The standard spring/oil setup is close, but I beleive it may be a bit to firm in the front. I would look at going to the Red spring right away with the option of going to blue or gold if more front bite is needed.

It is very important to keep your car at 6-7mm ride height minimum. The surface doesn't have alot of traction and it will beat the snot out of your chassis. On the kit tires, I drilled two 1/8" holes in the rims to allow air to pass in and out of the rim, thus making it more "spongy" to absorb the bumbs in the surface. If racing on rubber, it's all about the tires. In the past we used Pit S-Pattern in 26mm with the stock insert. These tires rule at hobbytown, no if, ands, or buts about it. Since they are no longer available, we are going to have to find a similar tire combo thats suitable for the track. I'm fairly certain the V-Rage, even with the extra holes drilled, probably won't be the ticket. I think the kit tires from the serpent might be the best solution so far.

As far as gearing and shift point, the track seems to benefit single-gear cars more than two speeds. I would look for the tallest 1st gear you can put on the NTC3 and see if you can remove the 2nd gear shift through adjustment.

That's pretty much the key things I've figured out about the racing there so far. It's fun and outside, and it's good to see friends and have a little fun.

See you soon.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)
Default Inserts

The new inserts on the market like JB do have an advantage as they weigh signifcantly less than their predecessors like HPI. Since they do weigh less, you're reducing rotational mass(always a good thing), which will allow for better acceleration.

As far as the job they play, the softer the insert the more enrgy it aborbs away from the tire. This typically adds traction at the sacrafice of tire wear. Moving from Reds to Greens would decrease traction(at TCHR), in my opinion and experience, but the tires last longer and don't tend to suffer from the ridge of death around the inside of the tire after some amount of racing.

I'll be the first to admit that inserts are difficult to understand, and my testing is limited to only indoor racing. If you travel, and tried your existing tires and they don't seem to be the right ticket, be sure to ask around so you don't waste any money on testing other combinations. It's unfortunate that tires/rims/inserts have become so expensive...
Old 05-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

thanks