Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by johnnyshore
I don't think he meant it literally, like an SC10 and Slash are so different that they're like buggies and trucks in design...simply that the two classes are run separately at MMR, like a buggy and truck class.

No disrepect, but it's a shame that guys can't put their "I hate Traxxas" mentalities aside, pick up a cheap Slash, and and come race. I look at it this way...would I ever buy a Rustler or a Bandit? Heck no. But make that a Slash, and add 20 other guys running the same exact car, and it's a guaranteed fun time.

Believe me...the guys at the track that have been racing for a while already know that the Slash handles poorly, is based on a 15+ year old design, and isn't a "race" truck, but it's hard to care when you're having so much fun.
well i don't really hate traxxas it's just that I've bought enough of there stuff to know better. I mean think about it guys it's like saying you can't run you ae rc8b with a losi eight it just doesn't make sense who does it benefit? As long as motor esc and tires are spec who cares it's just for fun right? They are very close in price also. Funny thing is I foresee the ae losi and hpi taking over this class and all the slashers will want in and guess what they will probably be allowed to run Also.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

I do hear what you're saying...in theory, they trucks should be the same...but...

...a similarly powered, out of the box SC10, on the MMR RCP surface turns significantly faster lap times than a Slash...for those that have witnessed it, it's not even a question that the SC10 has an advantage on that surface. You just can't tune a Slash enough, or make enough legal "Spec" class changes to make them to compete.

Would the 5 or 6 SC10 guys really want to keep coming back if the 20 guys with Slashes were no competition at all? Would the 20 Slash guys want to keep racing if they can't hang with the 5 or 6 SC10 guys, our would they start selling them off, and either quit, or have to buy a new truck just to be competitive?

In the end, it really all comes down to what the track owner feels is in the best interest of the track...if the owner feels that having a Slash-only class is a benefit for his track and the racers, it's completely his perrogative. If the racers don't like it, they won't come.

In this situation however, I wouldn't change a thing if it were my track. Andrew has loads of racers filing in on Friday nights, and smiling faces on the way out the doors. Seems like a winning idea so far.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

In the end, it really all comes down to what the track owner feels is in the best interest of the track...if the owner feels that having a Slash-only class is a benefit for his track and the racers, it's completely his perrogative. If the racers don't like it, they won't come.

In this situation however, I wouldn't change a thing if it were my track. Andrew has loads of racers filing in on Friday nights, and smiling faces on the way out the doors. Seems like a winning idea so far.
Andrew has his regular crowd, that's good. People racing RC. On the flip side of the coin I know plenty of people who do not want to race off-road on carpet and plywood jumps.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Heated debate is always a good thing lol.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt D.
Andrew has his regular crowd, that's good. People racing RC. On the flip side of the coin I know plenty of people who do not want to race off-road on carpet and plywood jumps.
I'm definitely one of those guys but I would like to find somwhere to run in the winter and mmr is much closer than ftr
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah, I love dirt too. Nothing like a packed black dirt track with a sprinkle of water to wet the chops! Fort Dodge's old indoor track and the last TCHR track were probably the nicest surfaces I've ever raced on.

While I'm very happy that Andrew provides a great place to race, it's really too bad we can't seem to keep a nice indoor dirt off-road facility going in the Cities, in addition to tracks like MMR. Short course trucks would flourish in that environment, and things would be on a much more level playing field between the brands.

My brother put up a very nice track in his back yard (his place is in Bloomington, near the MOA) that we play on on Tuesday nights. It's a small track, but it's perfect for SC trucks, and we're talking about trying to hold some Sunday afternoon club races in the near future. Nothing real big...maybe 20-25 racers.

This is the new layout we put in about 2 weeks ago...

Once we figure out some dates, I'll post something on these boards.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

All anyone has to do is come on down with more than 2 or 3 cars not Slash and they can run together as a class and not mix them up - So whats the problem - No track is going to run just one car in the race if its a class race and will most likley run a sep class if 3 or 4 cars of same type show up - There it is in a nut shell - so come on down and bring some more racers of the class and see if they can start a class for them but not in the stock Slash class
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Nice Track John (and Brother).

The city will let me build whatever I want, but holding large events might be an issue. I know that we wont be able to run nitro, my neighbords would freak.

Here is a picture of what I have to work with. Aprox 100x200. Useable space after fence and stand etc will be about 80x175 max. Prob close enough to get 1/8th electric in there.

Any thoughts on layouts would be great help before the bobcat arrives.

non-used section of my back yard pic

I'll let everyone know when to show up to help.

Dan
Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

looks good john, bet that is pretty fun with the slash... and the 1/18th.
looks like you may have some bonus shade also.. definatly helps with mosture and the heat.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the big tree in the back corner is great for keeping cool, and keeping the track moist. Once the sun starts to go down, the moisture comes up, and it's sticky! The Mini-Slash is a HOOT on that track...powerslides are a-plenty!

Wow Dan, you have a nice big area to work with...when construction begins, make sure to post the whens and wheres!! 8th scale electric is gonna be the next big wave...I'm looking forward to getting a surfboard and riding that kahuna myself!!

This is one of my favorite layouts, with the triple over-under section...that is just too cool!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juz2ovVltTw
Old 07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

8th scale electric is gonna be the next big wave.
Putting one together as we speak for the New Richmond race next weekend, possibly Seans on Sat, and X-Games.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My brother put up a very nice track in his back yard (his place is in Bloomington, near the MOA) that we play on on Tuesday nights. It's a small track, but it's perfect for SC trucks, and we're talking about trying to hold some Sunday afternoon club races in the near future. Nothing real big...maybe 20-25 racers.

Once we figure out some dates, I'll post something on these boards.
This would be so cool. I live just down the road in Burnsville. I hope you guys can pull it off!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

curious if any other manufacturers are going to look into doing something like this as well:

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/articles.php?tPath=16

Has me interested, even though it would have to get run in a 1/10 scale 4wd open class which looks like its getting interest out here.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

...a similarly powered, out of the box SC10, on the MMR RCP surface turns significantly faster lap times than a Slash...for those that have witnessed it, it's not even a question that the SC10 has an advantage on that surface. You just can't tune a Slash enough, or make enough legal "Spec" class changes to make them to compete.

You really can't say this. Every effort possible has been made to not allow this to happen.

Would the 5 or 6 SC10 guys really want to keep coming back if the 20 guys with Slashes were no competition at all? Would the 20 Slash guys want to keep racing if they can't hang with the 5 or 6 SC10 guys, our would they start selling them off, and either quit, or have to buy a new truck just to be competitive?

I would think you of anyone would welcome the competition since you have just been dominating this Slash class every week.

Completely agree, and I have made very little personal effort to rock this boat at MMR. Andrew does a great job, he picked his rules very early, and has been having a super turnout with most people having a great time. However, I (SC10 owner) would love the opportunity to run if allowed. I will not buy a Slash, this is my choice and will stick with it.

When he decides to allow another class to run on Fridays, I will try my very best to participate, and support/promote the class.
There are enough guys that have been running this spec class now and have got enough skills to beat most guys that would show up with a different newer vehicle for this class. The spec class is still bring many new faces to our hobby, and I say HURRAY, WHAHOO!! This is the best thing I have seen in many years. Now that it is established, it would be nice to see the top few drivers that are always on top, step up or out to a higher level class.

Keep up the great dialog guys!

I absolutly love that backyard track. Hope I can come and play!
Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

You really can't say this. Every effort possible has been made to not allow this to happen.

Uhhh, yeah...I really don't think I'm exaggerating at all. The SC10 tires on Tom Stifter's truck were actually squealing around the corners at MMR, and the truck was flat as a board taking the turns. Just the fact that the SC10 has all the tuning options of a T4 gives it an advantage, not to mention the lower chassis.

I will say that on dirt, the trucks are much closer...I've raced SC10's on two different outdoor tracks, and they were actually the slower of the two brands. Not sure if that's tires, or setup, or ? The guys were adding ounce after ounce of weight trying to get traction, which was nearly impossible to find.

Hey Tom (myrxseven), how much faster did your SC10 feel on the MMR track?

I would think you of anyone would welcome the competition since you have just been dominating this Slash class every week.

In no way would I say I've been dominating...there are numerous guys that can win on any given week...I qualified 4th last Friday night, and only won because Joe Sr had servo issues and I avoided some big pileups.

As far as welcoming competition, my Slash setup is out there for anyone to try if they like, which I'm hoping will help out the new guy getting into the class. There are definite tweaks that help the performance, and I'd like nothing more than to help improve the entire group of racers.

Oh, and I like being the underdog when it comes to the car I drive...at the State Champs race in Starbuck, I won the 2nd Stock Truck A-main with an old original XX-T, and was third overall...nothing like doing well with old outdated stuff! :-)

Completely agree, and I have made very little personal effort to rock this boat at MMR. Andrew does a great job, he picked his rules very early, and has been having a super turnout with most people having a great time. However, I (SC10 owner) would love the opportunity to run if allowed. I will not buy a Slash, this is my choice and will stick with it.

Like dmowery mentioned before, get some guys out with SC10's, and run. If there was a separate class for the SC10, and a sustained group was there each week, I'd probably buy one and join you, or throw a hotter motor in the Slash and run both classes.

I just want to race, and if Slashes are the only thing allowed at MMR, and the racing is fun, I'm there and will support it full on.
Can you bring your SC10 out to MMR one of these Friday nights, with a comparable motor to the 12t Titan?. We'll run each other's trucks, and see how they compare. I've only driven one myself at the Barn, and that was a very loose, dry track.

Last edited by johnnyshore; 07-30-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.