Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xxx @ tchr

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

When are you guys getting black dirt in? Are you going to try to keep the track a little softer, or is it still going to be a really hard surface?

I'll need to bust out my buggy again!

- Ben
Old 02-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We are in the process of getting different bids, as soon as we can lock in a price we can live with we will order. The problem is it may not be available for a few months yet depending on the weather. My hopes were for early March.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:33 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

why black dirt??
Old 02-21-2002, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Why black dirt= supreme increase of tire life, no dust = cleaner facility, equipment, and lungs, easier track changes, more traction, ..the list goes on and on and on................................................ .Ben, the surface will be very hard packed, but not like the concrete it is now. but if it's tire wear your concerned about with the track being hard packed, don't be, tires will last WAY longer with black dirt!
Old 02-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Company Representative

yea i get the tire life but the dust i do not buy, and the traction is not the same do not get me wrong i perfer the loamy track.. i thought you were after the bluegroove rock hard thing...
anyways any thought to bringing gas back... or any solutions in the works that would work out..
Old 02-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

With black dirt thats kept WATERED and PACKED there is no dust, and there would be so much traction you would be pulling wheelies all the time. the blue groove is a faster surface, but ours is too dusty.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Eric, thanks for the info- sounds great! I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:20 PM
Company Representative

you can water clay also.. same result....
that is not up for argument..... i know it will be slippery yadda yadda yadda...
not up to arguing just wondering if it will stay wet because hard packed black dirt dry... is like concrete also just black
Old 02-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Just informing, what you do is KEEP the black dirt damp and holding togther with chemicals and sawdust, and pack it really good, the end result is a tacky hard surface. clay + water = slippery but black dirt + water = tacky

Last edited by Eric Swanson; 02-21-2002 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Black dirt holds moisture a little better than clay does. If it dries out, there WILL be dust though.

The biggest caution I can give is that it NEEDS to be damp when raced on, otherwise the top of the surface will chunk and break away, leaving chuck holes.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

ammdrew - We were paid a visit by the local Fire Marshal, who said in no uncertain terms that we could not run nitro indoors.

Finding a place to run gas this year, both on & off-road is also a high priority.

We have done a number of things to try and use the current clay/dirt. So far nothing seems to work real well. If we can attract more racers, and keep the ones we have happy by getting black dirt, my thought is to go for it. It sounds as if it will be much easier to do track changes with black dirt as well.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:49 PM
Company Representative

hey i am game on the dirt... just surprised to hear it..?? after all i have seen the hype clay..clay...clay for a few years now never the other way....... i would run on either...just another setup

there are three indoor gokart tracks locally now.. maybe we need to see what the are doing, the owners of the new one, were kmart use to be said they have a air recirculator i did not get in to detail to find out specifics though... saw a posting of a vid of a track indoors in south america running indoor nitro onroad races with a aspault track.... looked like a major operation as far as the track is conserned.........
Old 02-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Not that it is important in our case but ROAR would not sanction an indoor gas race.

We did look into a number of different options on the ventillation front, but none seemed to be a reasonable option. You would have to either have a make up air system, or some filtering equipment, tooooo expensive. When the Fire Marshall paid us a visit we gave it up.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One thing to keep in mind about the indoor kart tracks is that they run methanol in the engines, which produces only carbon dioxide and water in their exhaust. Granted, they still have to recirculate the air (I heard something about the Burnsville track turning over their air 4-5 times per hour)

Now, nitro vehicles put out WAY more noxious fumes, and they smoke when they're running properly, unlike the karts. So, I'd think that the air recirculation would have to be three to four times more then the kart tracks to be livable.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:31 PM
Company Representative

well lets see they do it in europe south america were else can i think of.... they have some system that works granted it is probably way out of range for our level to purchase...... have you measured the exaust.. i am sure it has some bad stuff in it but how toxic is it.. i would guess that ten karts running methonel would put out more than 10 rc cars.....the air at the burnsville track was quite uncomfotable to me... working on finding out what they use for the big races in europe during the winter....

roar will not do anything that does not benifit roar as far as i have learned from my past three national exieriences, and i would bet that if you had a safe clean indoor track you could even get a major roar event... how about the dome if they build a new stadium they will be looking for tenats thats has got to be enough space if they can run snowmobiles and motorcycles....

the worst thing in the exaust is the co2 and co fyi...... not sure what is in the rc exaust ... i will have to look into it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.