Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing
New Track @ Extreme Hobby in Hutchinson, Mn >

New Track @ Extreme Hobby in Hutchinson, Mn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ffejdat

New Track @ Extreme Hobby in Hutchinson, Mn

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New Outdoor Oval Track @ Extreme Hobby in Hutchinson, Mn

Extreme Hobby And Raceway

Oval Racing

Weather permitting racing will be held every Saturday at 11am, signups at 10, practice till racing starts as long as you have already signed in

Have fun!!! This is the most important rule of all!

Minimum 3 cars to have a class for those cars

We’ll run whatever shows up, some sample classes are:

1/8 scale buggies, truggies

1/8 scale late-model spec and open

1/10 scale 2 and 4 wheel drive buggies, stadium trucks

SC8, SC10, Slayer and Slash box stock Spec, and/or Open Class

1/10 scale sprint cars, latemodels, modifieds (edm)

1/10 and 1/8 scale Monster trucks

1/10 and 1/18 scale slider spec and open

1/18 scale mini latemodels spec and open

All classes are open to nitro or electric vehicles. There can be a run what you brung novice class, or if there are enough entries, the classes can be split into expert and beginner classes.

Joining the club is encouraged, but is not required to participate in weekly racing at the track. See Jason for club details if you are interested in becoming a club member.

Heat races will be 4 minutes, mains will be 6 minutes in electric, 8 minutes in nitro, and can and will be adjusted to fit the class at the race director’s discretion in order to provide excitement in each class. Races can be ended early if cars drop out and only one car is left running before the scheduled race distance.

Personal transponders are available for purchase. See Jason for details...
320-234-6969 16029 Plum Avenue Hutchinson, MN 55350

This is our first year of oval racing, growing pains will be experienced and worked through. We hope to have fun, and have some exciting racing! Thanks, and see you soon!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by arizona82; 07-15-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Have you browsed dirtoval.com or visited/participated in any other dirt oval races? There's a ton of information to be had there.

Just curious why you've chosen the heat and main race length you have? Typically heat races are 4 minutes long and mains are 5 minutes.

What is the track made of? (black dirt, clay, etc.) What is the center line distance around the track?

As far as I know the only other dirt oval in the area is Tea's in Rochester. Check them out at www.teashobbyshop.com. The next closest after that is probably Brinks in Decorah, IA, their site is www.brinksspeedway.com. Tea's has been holding races on Saturday since late 2008 starting at 4pm, would suck to have two somewhat local dirt ovals with overlapping schedules.

Can't wait to check it out!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Geez, I haven't run dirt oval since way back in the day, at Trackside, in New Brighton, MN. Does anybody remember that track? My God, it's gotta be 20 years since that was around. It was sooooo long ago, I was running my Losi JRX Pro SE, (anybody remember that buggy?). It was pretty fun. But the offroad sounds friggin' awesome. See if you can get a hold of Mark O Brien, he's pretty much the only guy that's got an offroad track. You guys could probably make some sort of series that includes both tracks. That would be waaaaaay coooooool.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The other dirt oval that was in the cities was North Star hobbies in Blaine, small indoor dirt oval, very fun track, they used to run an dual type race where you raced your off road buggy in the morning on the offroad track, then switched to oval in the afternoon, same car, see who was king in both... The other dirt oval I remember in town was in a guy's yard down past Lakevillle, fun racing with no rules....
This sounds great, good to see some more tracks popping up around town, should be cool!!
sweetxdm likes this.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

Default Race times

Last edited by arizona82; 03-08-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by february1760
potiskanje, tako lepo temo dobro delovno mesto
What the heck is this jibberish. We're all american here now, aren't we
Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by arizona82
We chose to run longer races after racing at another track. They didn't have a scoring system, and ran 10 lap heats, with 20 lap mains. In our case, we drove 2-3 hours to race for less than 5 minutes ALL DAY. Also, 1/8 scale buggies can run for 7-10 minutes if well tuned. And motor and battery technology with brushless, lipo and 4600+ mah nimhs allows an electric car to run 8-10 minutes in some cases. So we thought it would be better to legnthen the races a little to give a guy some decent run time, and also bring in some strategy that might not be involved in shorter races.
Just curious what dirt oval you ran at that had a race format such as this. I've raced at four dirt ovals now and none have ever ran like that. 4 minute heats, and 4-5 minute mains. Even big national races run this same format, bumping up 1-2 drivers from the lower main into the next. For weekly races they typically run two rounds of qualifying then the mains. At the recent Midwest Winternationals at Tea's in Rochester they ran 3 rounds of heats, one Friday night, two on Saturday, mains on Sunday.

The majority of people I've seen at Tea's and Brink's (www.brinksspeedway.com - Decorah, IA) are running LiPo batteries with a good mix of brushed and brushless motors. Could I run 8 minutes with my 4100mah 24C LiPo and hot mod motor? Sure could. Would I want to? Not really. Just because a car CAN run 8-10 minutes doesn't mean they SHOULD be ran that long.

It all comes down to the saying "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

This weekend at the final two races in the Battle of the Border Series (four race series between Tea's and Brink's) I was thinking about this summer and how cool it would be to see this track get up and running and having an even larger traveling dirt oval series. Hopefully you guys do get up and running, get some new people into the hobby and give us all another place to race. Keep it up!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Uphill battle

Last edited by arizona82; 03-08-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

It would be great to get our rules in line with Tea's and Brink's so we can race together.

Also, rumored to be an oval possible in St. Cloud/Foley area this year.

I would like to see a class for a 1/10 scale truck, maybe with a 1/8 scale latemodel body if it fits, that hasn't been modded with short shocks and towers so our offroad guys don't have to spend big $$$ on conversions and can race both oval and offroad with just a body, body mounts and a set-up change.
There is nothing stopping trucks from running dirt oval with their stock bodies. Just need slight adjustments to the driver and suspension to make it turn left decently and that's it. McAllister makes three dirt oval 1/10 truck bodies, check them out here: http://www.mcallisterracing.com/racing/page6.html - The Cannonball T, Outlaw T and Thunder Valley T.

If you have off road buggies that race you could look into running the limited late model class. Off road buggy chassis, rubber tires, late model body.

Plenty of options for the less serious racers who want some track time.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default snow

Last edited by arizona82; 03-08-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

If it ever quits snowing, we could take pics for everyone and maybe get to racing.
The outdoor oval at Tea's in Rochester was completely uncovered yesterday, I can't wait to be racing outside. Be sure to make it down there on a Saturday sometime for a race to check the place out.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default info back up

Trying to get some interest going...pics coming soon...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trying to get some interest going...pics coming soon...
I was told they are going to be building a offroad track. Has that happened yet?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default offroad

Its in the works...hopfully its ready in a few weeks!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default Link to pictures

http://www.dirtoval.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36372

Got pics up on The Dirtoval.com forum. Looking to have racing begin soon!