R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/minnesota-north-south-dakota-racing-30/)
-   -   New off-road facility in Billings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/minnesota-north-south-dakota-racing/171047-new-off-road-facility-billings.html)

Scottrik 07-04-2007 10:56 PM

New off-road facility in Billings

The Billings Flying Mustangs RC plane club has built an off-road track out at their flying field. It is to ROAR spec re: safety features and lane width and has an EXCELLENT permanent drivers stand. PLENTY of parking, permanent toilets, concession shack, etc. We'll even be able to support campers/motorhomes/etc for race events. Heck...they've even got a permanent BBQ pit...you shoulda tasted the pork from the pig roast!!

Pics attached.

The Flying Mustangs have contracted with Magic City RC for race directing/scoring services...scored using the full-Pro version of RC Scoring Pro, the same program used at ALL major events in the US.

We just held the first race on the track this past Saturday and it went VERY well. Lap times right around 40 seconds...fastest I saw was a 37 and change.

We are holding our first 2-day event at the new facility July 21-22 which I know conflicts with your RC Pro event at Pingree. If there is sufficient interest from ya'll we'd be open to holding another 2-day event later in the summer. Any suggestions?

Scottrik 07-09-2007 07:52 AM

Another view of the track from the east. Fairly picturesque location and a great racing facility to boot. We'd sure like some input as to another 2-day weekend that would work for some of our Dakota neighbors. Our guys had fun at the Drake race and would like to reciprocate!

Bob-Stormer 07-09-2007 05:24 PM

track water? Night lighting? Mosquitos? Hows the security?

Scottrik 07-09-2007 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 3469298)
track water? Night lighting? Mosquitos? Hows the security?

Yes. No. Of course, but they don't seem to like "Off" or "Cutter". I'll have to see if anyone is camping for the weekend as re: security.

Jason Halvorson 07-09-2007 05:48 PM

let me know when your having another event....i might have to make the trip, and see if i can bring a few with...

Bob-Stormer 07-10-2007 02:32 PM

Randon whipped up a little "artsy thing" for ya's. :)

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/968/rcmb3.jpg

Scottrik 07-10-2007 02:39 PM

Hey Bob--cool pic!

As far as security, I was just on the phone w/Red-Headed Stepchild Evan (doin' my part toward Randon's college tuition) and he indicated the concern was whether the facility is fenced, etc. YES...the BFM field is fenced and gated, the gate is locked when no one is on site. It won't be like at the other track where the trailer would just be parked next to the road out in the middle of nowhere.

Wish you guys could make it up for the Vintage Trans Am test-n-tune, but it's more important if you guys can make the off-road!!

Scottrik

Scottrik 07-10-2007 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson (Post 3469362)
let me know when your having another event....i might have to make the trip, and see if i can bring a few with...

We are evaluating dates...we'll keep you posted. Thanks Jason!

CorallyBQuiK 08-09-2007 08:52 PM

Need to know when two day off road is have 3 coming
CVETTE:):smile:

Scottrik 08-13-2007 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by CorallyBQuiK (Post 3566487)
Need to know when two day off road is have 3 coming

I BELIEVE JP is looking at Sept 21-23. I know he's working with the Billings Flying Mustangs to figure it out. Rick and I are still in Portland after our outdoors/asphalt on-road romp in Tacoma, WA. We head back to the Big Smoke (apparently the half of Montana that didn't burn last year is on fire...) tomorrow (Tue) and I'll check in with the schedulers.