Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic RC Racing
New carpet Track in the Pittsburgh, Pa area >

New carpet Track in the Pittsburgh, Pa area

Like Tree9Likes

New carpet Track in the Pittsburgh, Pa area

Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

After reading you guys reactions I really kinda wish I would have kept a lid on things and not ever mentioned anything in this thread. You guys seem to be a little less than enthusiastic. And very pessimistic I must say! I understand that you guys are the old "altoona area racers" from when there was a track behind the Cesar batiste. So you guys are before my time and I really don't know any of you.

I'm sure Marks track will be awesome if we just give him a chance. I mean a guy doesn't nut up and get a nice big building like he did just to do it half assed. I have complete faith in mark and he has my full support.

Anyway I got to get ready for Racing this weekend. I going to Richfield Friday and on to DRP Saturday.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Have you been in inside his new shop Joe?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TC3MIKE View Post
Have you been in inside his new shop Joe?

Yes and I think it has great potential.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

You think it will be like PT raceway or better?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

The area for the track is physically the same size as PT was.... The floor is pretty flat, a few imperfections. Nothing that can't be easy fixed All it needs is some good carpet and CRC click track! ANNDDD a my laps system lol. But yeah It COULD be awesome.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i think the "old altoona racers" are pessimistic due to everything that happened in the past. I realize that you (joe) and Mark may not know all of the details so i will give you a quick summary.

altoona raceway when it was run by chuck and doug. It started out much like Mark, a small shop in the kinkcerbocker with lots of big plans and talk of a great carpet and offroad track. The carpet track was decent for what they had to work with, pre-laid carpet in a less than big room and lots of structural beams to work around.....not ideal but it worked and was well supported. Then in the summer they set up shop behind the ceaser, again good but not perfect....biggest issue being there was no power, but generators were bought and we all made due....then the novalety wore off for the owners, the track was not maintained, to the point of ruining tire and equpiment because of rocks. Then what put the icing on the cake for this was when the racers would show up and the owner wouldn't, and rather than just closing up shop they kept talking about more racing and how to make it better, then basically one day just they said we are done....i think we all saw it coming but no warning just we are done.....and the racers are stuck with either having to sale out, keep it and let it get outdated or travel 2 hours to race

Now, the second guy Jim (i think was his name) bought said altoona raceway again with lots of talk and big promises for the ceaser track (no talk of indoor that i recall) so once again all the Altoona racers re-buy or update their stuff and things seem to go much better, he trucked in dirt, acquired a bobcat and some other machinery, built a beautiful drivers stand and timing hut and things went well.....for awhile....then all of a sudden the racers show up to practice and get basically attacked by ceaser members wanting to know where the rent money is....well, how do we know? We pay our dues to race, you need to talk to Jim.....Jim then has a meeting and says he over spent getting equipment and perm. power and needs a lil help paying the rent, and he was going to sale altoona raceway shirts as a fund raiser....everyone i am aware of bought at least 1 if not several shirts....some guys even gave a consideral amount of a cash donation. However, this did not solve the issue, as far as i recall the rent never did get paid and Jim took off with the money...i was told that the ceaser tried contacting him to remove the track materal and drivers stand and to get the bobcat and other equipment out but he was not able to be reached. That was last I (or anyone I know of) has heard from Jim, noone knows what happened to the track or equipment.....the ceaser has since paved the area....bottom line again, the racers have the carpet pulled out from under them and either sale or travel.

So with that being said i don't think that the former racers are being pessimists as much as just taking a lil more precautions so we don't get burnt a third time. Clearly we want to see this track work out or we wouldn't be here asking about it. We just want to make sure it is legit and something that will hopefully grow and thrive. As I am sure we are all aware, it is not a cheap hobby, we do it for fun and 9 times out of 10 get nothing in return, even if we win the race. We also know, and are willing to drop $1,000s of dollars on equipment, that we know as soon as we open the box the value drops by half.

As far as Mark not being "glued to his computer" I don't think any of yes expect him to be, but I do think if he could at least jump on every now and then to address questions it would be beneficial to all.....even if he doesn't have an answer to a specific question at least we would know where he stands and know that he is at least aware of the problem/suggestion. Again, I like the idea of a meeting....maybe he doesn't like that idea and if not that is fine, just say so.....99 out of 100 of the "old racers" are easy to get along with and flexible on ideas. I also like the idea of the locals stopping in and chatting with him, but again, not all are as local as others. I may be wrong whit this next statement, but I don't think his fb message box is overflowing with questions about the track and i can't imagine it taking more than a few mins to answer the people reaching out. Speaking for myself and a few others, we are excited to be able to race local again and are willing to help with what needs done, so we can race asap.

I don't think we are being pessimistic but I do think we are being cautious and wanting to know a lil more about what we are getting into upfront before we jump in with both feet yet again.
TC3MIKE likes this.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

1 thing you forgot to mention or didn't know about the last owner "Jim" that he was a freakin CROOK! He had personal transponders that belong to Garland from G's Raceway and told him some Bullsh*t Lie that he will have them repaired and he NEVER gave them back. I never trusted him.

Last edited by TC3MIKE; 01-04-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

1 thing you forgot to mention or didn't know about the last owner "Jim" that he was a freakin CROOK! He had personal transponders that belong to Garland from G's Raceway and told him some Bullsh*t Lie that he will have them repaired and he NEVER gave them back. I never trusted him.
I'm sure there were things I knew about and didn't remember them to post and I am sure there were things I didn't know, but I completely agree the guy was as dishonest as they come.

As far as that goes though, I do completely trust Mark, he has been running the hobby shop for quite awhile. I just want to see a quality track that is going to be around for years to come
Old 01-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Correction, the name of the last track owner of Altoona Raceway was Rob Wike. 2010 - 2011

https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-ite...ng-system.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j44sU3oEcE interview with the crook in this video
Old 01-05-2018, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Correction, the name of the last track owner of Altoona Raceway was Rob Wike. 2010 - 2011

https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-ite...ng-system.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j44sU3oEcE interview with the crook in this video
Thanks for clearing that up Mike. My memory must be going out the door, right behind the age and the rest of my body!! Hey, at least both names had 3 letters....that should count for something!!!
TC3MIKE likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

I stopped by and talked to Mark Shaffer and confirmed about the carpet track going to be on the 3rd floor and lots of pitting space on the 2nd floor. Also, there will be an outdoor track in the near future. Being that he has been busy with customers and he got 4-5 people helping him to try and finish building, moving things, putting kits on shelves and cleaning up the sales floor. By the looks of everything going on it will be at least a month until they can start on a track. I need to know from a lot of you guys want, like what brand of kits and equipment and also what type of racing.
Kyosho Joe likes this.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

I stopped by and talked to Mark Shaffer and confirmed about the carpet track going to be on the 3rd floor and lots of pitting space on the 2nd floor. Also, there will be an outdoor track in the near future. Being that he has been busy with customers and he got 4-5 people helping him to try and finish building, moving things, putting kits on shelves and cleaning up the sales floor. By the looks of everything going on it will be at least a month until they can start on a track. I need to know from a lot of you guys want, like what brand of kits and equipment and also what type of racing.
AWESOME NEWS! I personally, would prefer a TC road course and would most likely buy either the most current serpent or the most current x-ray kit. If the road course is not an option and he goes with oval, I would buy the most current CRC kit. As far as electronics, I am a tekin guy and would buy the proper esc/motor to accommodate the kit. Also, a good high speed servo, I used to use JR servos, but I have been out of it for awhile so if there is a better high speed servo out there I'd buy it!
Kyosho Joe likes this.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
If it's onroad racing I would like to run 1/12th pan car. As far as brands go for that, CRC and Team Associated is what I would go for. My ultimate preference would be offroad though if I have a choice. Would love it if he could carry a selection of Xray cars. It would be nice to get parts locally instead of having to order off of the internet and wait 2-3 weeks for it lol.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

I'll find out what distributors he will need to acquire. He already has Tekin.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

I'm with TT01 on the Xray cars. I've been running Tamiya touring cars since I started a few years ago. But honestly the Xray T4 is the touring car to have bar none. Tekno would be another brand I would like to see mark stock. Horizon hobby carries the CRC pan cars already so thats awesome if we get into pan cars. Which I hope we do!

Last edited by Kyosho Joe; 01-13-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service