Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic RC Racing
2016 Trains and Lanes Outdoor Offroad Racing - Easton, PA >

2016 Trains and Lanes Outdoor Offroad Racing - Easton, PA

2016 Trains and Lanes Outdoor Offroad Racing - Easton, PA

Old 07-20-2016, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tekin is not what it used to be...so many problems with the RX-8. Hey guys question, a buddy and I both practiced Saturday and it was super hot. So far we each lost a lipo pack this week. I didn't run the car hard due to heat, but the car was heating up quick due to the heat. Last night after setting up my new esc in my truggy. I disconnected the pack, then as I was taking the battery out of the battery tray I heard a pop. I looked around and noticed the hard battery case broke right in my hand. I guess I'm lucky it didn't catch fire. Now I'm kinda worried because they're calling for 100 degree weather on Saturday. Do you suggest any precautions.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Roadburn
Tekin is not what it used to be...so many problems with the RX-8. Hey guys question, a buddy and I both practiced Saturday and it was super hot. So far we each lost a lipo pack this week. I didn't run the car hard due to heat, but the car was heating up quick due to the heat. Last night after setting up my new esc in my truggy. I disconnected the pack, then as I was taking the battery out of the battery tray I heard a pop. I looked around and noticed the hard battery case broke right in my hand. I guess I'm lucky it didn't catch fire. Now I'm kinda worried because they're calling for 100 degree weather on Saturday. Do you suggest any precautions.

Turn down the punch control or current on the esc or gear down . Cut out a piece of the window on the body out or more holes .

Especially add less brake EPA .

Last edited by tc5 man; 07-20-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Will the power be on at the track today
Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roadburn
GOT IT MY TEKEN ESC / FAN is working NOW. Part's showed up from the UPS MAN Gotta love 2 day mail shipping.

Thank you for all the help & Tips

I don't think I am going to race this weekend thou... They are predicting 99 degrees with heat indexes of 101 - 104 degrees in the Lehigh Valley area
Not going to risk puffing my Lipos or damage to my motor / esc
I'll be in my in ground pool & inside a nice central A/C cooled house

GOOD LUCK to any RACER BRAVING THAT kind of heat GOD BLESS YOUR RIDES TOO...
Old 07-21-2016, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kenhbd8
Will the power be on at the track today
There is power on the pole where the breakers are mounted on the pole by the track... It's basically 1st come 1st served I always bring my generator if you have one to bring I always bring my own Generator on race day's. I believe there are 12 total plug's so if there is an available outlet its yours to use.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Viper10er7
GOT IT MY TEKEN ESC / FAN is working NOW. Part's showed up from the UPS MAN Gotta love 2 day mail shipping.

Thank you for all the help & Tips

I don't think I am going to race this weekend thou... They are predicting 99 degrees with heat indexes of 101 - 104 degrees in the Lehigh Valley area
Not going to risk puffing my Lipos or damage to my motor / esc
I'll be in my in ground pool & inside a nice central A/C cooled house

GOOD LUCK to any RACER BRAVING THAT kind of heat GOD BLESS YOUR RIDES TOO...
I thought of doing that too. However then I thought, what do the guys in the lower states do. They have to be used to running in 100 degree weather. Plus, I'm dying to run my new truggy. So I spoke with Jim Roe at Promatch Batteries. Back in my prime I was one of his drivers, lol were talking NiCd's. He is based in AZ so I figured he has to know something about running in the heat. He said the best thing you can do for your lipo packs is get a cooler. Use Ice packs, not ice, and store your packs in the cooler when not in use. So I'll be doing that and bringing an extra fan to cool my esc and motor.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good Luck to you Roadburn I'll be home in A/C & in my pool at home. I wont risk puffing my Lipos or motor damage in that kind of heat. Anyone that braves the heat on Staturday got gut's or either nut's 1 of the 2 T&L has no shade the sun will be brutal I have an enclosed trailer so that gives me shade but still 99 degrees with heat indexes of 102-104
I'LL PASS...... Good Luck with your packs & ride RB
Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Geez. You act like you were planning on running in the Spartan race at blue mountain this weekend or something

See everyone else at the track!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DAK MACH
Geez. You act like you were planning on running in the Spartan race at blue mountain this weekend or something

See everyone else at the track!!!
Lmao...was kinda thinking the same..
Old 07-22-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Not even over 100*? I'm packing a hoodie
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Not even over 100*? I'm packing a hoodie
Lol can't wait to race
Old 07-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

Too Funny, I wait all week for this and can't wait to race. But in Viper's defense, we all started somewhere and this is an expensive hobby. I'm new to the Lipo game, I guess I'm just a little more curious this week as I had a hard case lipo pack pop in my hand Wednesday. Luckily it didn't catch fire. I didn't over charge or anything. Only thing I can figure, I know it was the pack that was in the buggy when the receiver and ESC blew.

Last edited by Roadburn; 07-22-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Tech Prophet

The extra high heat temp outside on electronics at least on motors some run hotter than others, and especially lipos which really can't handle it that's the most conserning . Escs at least on my had the fan run the whole time.

Yea you can get a fan for the motor if you can find one that's good .
Old 07-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Ok guys. It's going to be warm.... so what? We race all summer long in 90+ weather. This week is no different. There are 100's of other tracks and 1000's of other racers across the country racing too.

Racing when its warm out isn't for everyone... understandable...

Those guys should just go swimming or find something more suitable for them in a climate controlled environment. There's is absolutely no need to come try and convince the rest of those that are racing that they are nuts or it's a bad idea... just go do your thing, and we'll do ours.

For everyone else racing as usual just remember.... gear correctly, don't run down to lipo cutoff unnecessarily, and let your batteries cool before you charge them.... simple.

Oh... and drink plenty of water
Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DAK MACH
Ok guys. It's going to be warm.... so what? We race all summer long in 90+ weather. This week is no different. There are 100's of other tracks and 1000's of other racers across the country racing too.

Racing when its warm out isn't for everyone... understandable...

Those guys should just go swimming or find something more suitable for them in a climate controlled environment. There's is absolutely no need to come try and convince the rest of those that are racing that they are nuts or it's a bad idea... just go do your thing, and we'll do ours.

For everyone else racing as usual just remember.... gear correctly, don't run down to lipo cutoff unnecessarily, and let your batteries cool before you charge them.... simple.

Oh... and drink plenty of water
and don't forget sun screen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.