Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy >

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Like Tree28Likes

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Old 07-13-2017, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you already put everything on a new chassis? Looks blue in the picture.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yes i have lots.

check out my Youtube channel and you can see all my 1/5 scale trucks in video.
RCMK 1200SE, MTXL 12S brushless ( doing a backflip ) Xmaxx, DBXL-E.

here is one :

https://youtu.be/D6Q7XC1tZd0

Trout
Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

MTXL backflip.

https://youtu.be/zsjXSL-sdkM

Trout
Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmickle11 View Post
Did you already put everything on a new chassis? Looks blue in the picture.
That little blue one is a Micro, losi 1/24 scale micro, lol

Trout
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
That little blue one is a Micro, losi 1/24 scale micro, lol

Trout
That's funny! Wished I never would have sold my Micro a few years back!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Wonder if the slightly heavy duty 48-pitch, 60T spur of the DB will fit the standard Mini 8ight Buggy? I know the standard .05-pitch on the Mini 8ight is 58T but the overall gear ratio can be adjusted with pinion T-count changes.

Wonder if the 48-pitch will show a significant durability increase over the .05-pitch (roughly 51-pitch equivalent)???

Wonder if going forward Losi will change all the Mini 8ight series to 48-pitch???
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

So we know this thing has the chassis from the truggy, but what about the rest of the parts?

I ask because of upgrades (CVDs, Turnbuckles, etc) and replacements. I assume they use the shorter ones off the buggy, unless they are new parts. I was also wondering if the tbone bumpers from the buggy or truggy would fit on here

I already broke the front gearbox so while I'm in there I might as well upgrade :P
Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wingnut44 View Post
So we know this thing has the chassis from the truggy, but what about the rest of the parts?

I ask because of upgrades (CVDs, Turnbuckles, etc) and replacements. I assume they use the shorter ones off the buggy, unless they are new parts. I was also wondering if the tbone bumpers from the buggy or truggy would fit on here

I already broke the front gearbox so while I'm in there I might as well upgrade :P
The chassis on the 8ight, DB, & Truggy are all different from each other. Take a close look at the pics on the Losi site.

EDIT: I stand corrected. The actual 'chassis' is the same part for the DB & Truggy. It's most of the plastic that bolts to the chassis that is different between the two. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited by RGunn; 07-13-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

It uses a mini 8ight T chassis with buggy arms, links, and driveshafts. So it's long and narrow.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

I had mini 8ight T for awhile and went through diffs like crazy. These diffs are much stronger, and the spur is stronger. The front steering bellcrank is different too and aluminum. This truck is much better out of the box than my mini 8ight T. Still room for improvement of course.
Trout
Old 07-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by noel02 View Post
It uses a mini 8ight T chassis with buggy arms, links, and driveshafts. So it's long and narrow.
Exactly what I thought, thanks.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
I had mini 8ight T for awhile and went through diffs like crazy. These diffs are much stronger, and the spur is stronger. The front steering bellcrank is different too and aluminum. This truck is much better out of the box than my mini 8ight T. Still room for improvement of course.
Trout
Any chance we can use the diffs from this in the Truggy?

Kalvin
Old 07-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys... I've only been into rc trucks for about 9 months, so forgive me if this post/question is out of place. I hope it's okay to post this here. I've been driving a Losi 22sct 3.0 and want to play with some of the other mini's I've seen locally. Mostly HobbyKing and Traxxas, with some occasional older Associated 1/18 scale. I've been pretty happy with my Losi, and I was looking at the buggy, but then I saw this. I do like the look of this a little more than the buggy. Obviously, they are two different machines, but if you were to choose between this and a buggy, which would you choose?

I run mainly on an indoor low grip track and may start running a little on a local outdoor turf track on occasion. Mainly just looking for something fun, nothing overly competitive, but I don't want the slowest car out there either.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LittleTreeGuy View Post
Hey guys... I've only been into rc trucks for about 9 months, so forgive me if this post/question is out of place. I hope it's okay to post this here. I've been driving a Losi 22sct 3.0 and want to play with some of the other mini's I've seen locally. Mostly HobbyKing and Traxxas, with some occasional older Associated 1/18 scale. I've been pretty happy with my Losi, and I was looking at the buggy, but then I saw this. I do like the look of this a little more than the buggy. Obviously, they are two different machines, but if you were to choose between this and a buggy, which would you choose?

I run mainly on an indoor low grip track and may start running a little on a local outdoor turf track on occasion. Mainly just looking for something fun, nothing overly competitive, but I don't want the slowest car out there either.
Tacon Soar Brushless Edition bar none. Seriously competitive, great price and the electronics are smooth at any throttle input. Tires are great, chassis is aluminum, shock towers are aluminum, has a slipper clutch with aluminum motor mount. Alot of features for less than the Losi.

LC Racing is the company that builds the Tacon Soar while Nitro RCX rebrands them. Getting parts has been quite easy as you can get them on Nitro RCX, Amazon and Ebay. My only gripe is that i lost a pin off the driveshaft on my SCT version of the Tacon lineup. New driveshaft was $7 shipped and havent had any problems since.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kevinatfms View Post
Tacon Soar Brushless Edition bar none. Seriously competitive, great price and the electronics are smooth at any throttle input. Tires are great, chassis is aluminum, shock towers are aluminum, has a slipper clutch with aluminum motor mount. Alot of features for less than the Losi.

LC Racing is the company that builds the Tacon Soar while Nitro RCX rebrands them. Getting parts has been quite easy as you can get them on Nitro RCX, Amazon and Ebay. My only gripe is that i lost a pin off the driveshaft on my SCT version of the Tacon lineup. New driveshaft was $7 shipped and havent had any problems since.
I lost a bunch of those and shredded 5 diff ring gears and 2 diff pinions on my truggy. I don't recommend any LC Racing mini anymore because of my bad luck with them. I probably had a lemon though, seeing as so many people have great luck with them.

It'd go with the Desert buggy over the buggy. It has a 380 motor, stronger diffs, and an updated steering rack.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service