Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree29Likes

New: Losi Mini 8ight Desert Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

It’s kinda ridiculous I know. They used to offer a 26mm can but that’s been out of production for a few years.

Im not saying it’s a bad motor, just don’t expect miracles. It’s really undersized for the DB. The Mamba Micro X is likely fine but will get hot from what others have said who use it in the truggy. Maybe the smaller DB wheels will help keep temps down.

Talk with your track though. There’s no logical reason they could have for not letting you use a 28mm sized motor. That’s what the LC mini’s come with and they’re raced all over the world. Even in the States.

Definitley keep us posted on how it works out!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Finally got a chance to test and tune the new ESC and motor today. I have to say I think the castle motor has more punch than the stock motor. It could also be that I turned the starting power to high via castle link. I do enjoy the throttle response much more. I have more travel with the throttle vs the stock which was more like an on off switch. Either lots of power or little to no power. The new ESC gives me a lot range of throttle.

I will be buying a leopard 380 motor as well. Just so I can know what a sensored mini feels like and to try and get it onto my local track.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:03 PM
Tech Regular

Awesome! Yeah, I think much of that is likely down to the ESC. I noticed a similar improvement in the DB (when I still had it)by switching to the sensored 10BL60 with the stock motor. Things got even better with a glitch buster. Really increased the off line throttle punch and made the throttle feel more linear from slow to fast. Not nearly as on/off feeling as stock.

I went ahead and ordered the Leopard for my LC too. It was a tough call since I already have the very good stock 2850 that came with the LC and the Tenshock 4850kv. It’s been on my list of wants for awhile though.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What KV did you order? I saw a 4700kv and a 5600kv.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by racknpinion
Yes, all the Exotek stuff for the Truggy will fit the DB. I considered it, just having difficulty justifying the expenditure. Aluminum rear hubs and hex’s will likely be the only thing aside from a motor that I do as far as hops go.

I did finally put on my Atomic shock caps today. Working really well so far despite my reservations about the bleeder holes.
Those look really good! Do you have a part number you can share on these? Did a quick web search but did not turn up anything specific to the mini 8ight.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like the end of the line for the venerable Mini 8ight. The DB is now listed as it's official replacement. Hopefully Horizon will wise up and introduce to 'Pro" version myself and many others have been clamoring for with a 380 motor, 45a ESC and upgraded servo. Oh, and some sealed diff and stock front CV's like the LC cars. I've since moved on to LC Racing, but I will be sad to see the original go.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-14-mi...k-p-los01004t2
Old 10-15-2018, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Looks like the end of the line for the venerable Mini 8ight. The DB is now listed as it's official replacement. Hopefully Horizon will wise up and introduce to 'Pro" version myself and many others have been clamoring for with a 380 motor, 45a ESC and upgraded servo. Oh, and some sealed diff and stock front CV's like the LC cars. I've since moved on to LC Racing, but I will be sad to see the original go.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/1-14-mi...k-p-los01004t2

You're right - I'm seeing it for 150 on sale at tower - all of the parts are up to 75% off as well. Considering buying on and stocking up on some parts
Old 10-18-2018, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

The M8-DB states that it has a 380 can motor but it's the same 24mm motor that's in all their 1/14 stuff.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
The M8-DB states that it has a 380 can motor but it's the same 24mm motor that's in all their 1/14 stuff.
I'm not seeing that, I just see that it states the DB uses a 3800kv motor. Maybe I missed it.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Tech Master

They must have changed the description. The 380 motor claim is one of the biggest reasons that I bought one for myself. I like the looks of it too. I haven't driven mine in a while, may have to get it going again.
racknpinion likes this.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Well being the thread owner... FINALLY i got one!

Did this things already to it...(minor mods..to the batery tray to fit a large massive lipo!!) Just the way i like it! Weight low being more stable for speed!

-A 3a 3s lipo & a fan facing the ESC. Long runtimes recomend a fan.

Think i am going to ditch the stock ESC...seens like a on/off thing! lol

I will not make it a speed demon...it will be my 1/14 basher on 3s!

One thing to ask...
Are the stock pinion & spur 48pitch?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Knocking the cob webs of my RC's! Losi mini 8ight
Leopard sensored motor with sidewinder 3 esc

Interesting! I’ve never seen a sensored motor run with a non sensored ESC.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qJsIYYsaD61sAe
-All those videos (from last to 27) are with a sensored motor runing a sensorless ESC. It just doesn't use the sensored part of the motor! first videos (below 26) of the series were using a 2200kv Castle motor theat blew up on the beach...
IT DIED on this exact video..
Old 12-12-2018, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

The stock receiver is a common problem. I was getting runoffs until I replaced the rx/tx.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Yep, I highly recommend you ditch the stock radio for essentially anything else. It will cause much frustration and potentially a very expensive crash. It is a very good idea to replace the ESC. I used the Hobbywing 10BL60SD in mine, but even the 16BL30 would probably be an improvement even though it's technically the same ESC.. At least you can program the HW.

Gearing is 48p.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Well... second run today...

And i can say i like it...BUT:

Problems in first hand...

-Striped screws...same place! Only tried to remove them with my HUDY tools...one single time! WTF is that!!! DAM! Dremel to the rescure and a single spot and bam...remove that stripped screws!

-RX (had a run away...luckly it was a long road and the breaks actually work but only after 2 seconds...) IT IS A MUST TO DITCH THE SPEKTRUM rx/tx sh...! And the glitch happen close to me..maybe 4 meters away from RC...not 400meters! lol Stupid Spektrum still doing "#$"#$.

-As for ESC it did allright WITH the fan...did it's job...poorly but worked...it's a RTR esc so no complains there!

-For motor...well i cooked it! I don't even reached LVC if she have one! lol, the motor cooked itself...

What a very "trump" s"#$ they sell nowdays...even the batery trays plastic i could break them with my hand's... it is worst the WLToys plastic! lol

Anyway.... need a new motor...and a new ESC...and a new tx for my Futaba radio... cause all that crap is RTR!
I knowed all that...But it was short live...even servo...but servos we know that rtr is ready to rebuild!

Even the stock buggy losi mini 8ight i had first gen (i got 2) the stock ESC & motor lastest more then a year...of 3s abuse!

Silly market... RTR with 3s capable? Well for less then a lipo pack you get the taste of 3s! They should advertise this for only 2s use.

Just telling the truth, not ranting!!! Either way i liked the handling, very capable. Stock shocks are all metal...but are very stiff...maybe need a 3 month of use to start to soften! Either way... another shock fluid and maybe a new drill into the pinion of the shaft!

Think my 4s losi Mini8 buggy motor will do just fine here, with a smaller pinion and 3s..moving the new capable ESC to the top shelf and losing the top bikini 2 drivers setup... but heck!!

"targetingxmod" Losi Mini 8 4s Project

Last edited by targetingxmod; 12-13-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.