Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting off brushed motor in a MAVERICK ION DT

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting off brushed motor in a MAVERICK ION DT

Hello and thanks for any knowledgeable input as I am a n00b.

I was recently given a MAVERICK ION DT new as a gift (was on sale at newegg for $60).

I haven't driven any RC car before this really... Let me just say that after the first run I was hooked and built a full track with jumps in my yard. heheee!

Well, after about 5 runs, the little brushed motor smoked and was red friggin hot. DONE. I got a new one for ~$5 and whammo, red hot and smoking again after another few runs. There's a reason they're so dang cheap.

So, I looked around for a cheap "brushless" 1/18 motor. Ended up with this one http ://a.co/cSjpIg5 "GoolRC 2430 7200KV 4P Sensorless Brushless Motor with 25A Brushless ESC"

After installing it (was just a drop-in) I quickly realized that I have no way of getting it to talk with the receiver unit stock in the ION DT. Like I said, I'm a n00b.

So, I bought a http ://a.co/e2PefUD HobbyKing HK-GT2B 3CH 2.4GHz Transmitter and Receiver. Plugged the ESC into the motor and BINGO, or so I thought....

If I pull the trigger full throttle from a stop, it pulses full speed, off, full speed, off, and keeps on like that. If I start very slow, it will get up to full speed (with a smooth slow ramp-up to full trigger ~3-5 seconds).

I spoke to HobbyKing support and they said it might be the transmitter and would gladly replace it. I explained to them if I lift the car off the ground and pull full trigger it has no problem and doesn't pulse. It's so fast the tires balloon out!

So, where is my problem?

The battery I use is a stock Maverick Element 7.2V 1200mAh Ni-MH battery, could voltage output be a problem?

Also to note: I have a total of 3 new batteries and was planning on daisy-chaining them to get a full 30 minutes of run time. I have tried with two in-line (red-to-red wire, black-to-black) and even each battery separately to eliminate the chance that one was defective.

Anybody experience this issue before of know what's up? Feel free to call me a n00b if you like as well!