Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a clue what Im doing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Not a clue what Im doing

So I'm brand new to this forum and this hobby again after about 20 years away. I recently came into possession of a Losi Mini-T roller. No motor, esc, Rx, Tx, servo, or battery. I was hoping to throw some stuff into it on the cheap side so that my wife can run it. Any suggestions as to what works well in this machine would be awesome! Thanks for your time!
Old 04-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

First Welcome!

Target Mod corrected me, thanks. But anyway WELCOME, great guy with alot of knowledge here.

Last edited by spookie; 04-24-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

I could been read wrong but the Losi Mini-T 1/18 scale does not have nothing to do with the Losi Mini''s buggys or Truggys 1/18 scales. They are smaller.

It's an 2wd older model...from the begin's of 2000 year if i remember right! On those times a 2wd was suficient! :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Losi_Mini-T

Old 04-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Yes sir, you are right lol. My apologies OP, for leading you wrong.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spookie
Yes sir, you are right lol. My apologies OP, for leading you wrong.
Everyone makes mistakes. It's what counts after them that makes us stronger.

Look at my recent "ups" on another forum....made the mistake to use a banned word that i didn't know the true meaning, and got a small vacation with no option to explain my point of view that was never intended to express the true meaning of that wrong.
Language barrier! Anyway, any question about that pm, instead!

Leave this open for the Mini-T.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Well I have never been one afraid to admit when I'm wrong lol. Thanks for the correction. That's the one scale of Losi I haven't had. Had the 1/24 on up to my current 1/8 Truggy, except for that one. Gave the 1/24th to the grandkids lol. Didn't thrill me lol.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)
Thumbs up Mini

I had a similar 1/18 scale buggy but it was a Kyosho Mini Inferno Half 8.
I chunked the original ESC/receiver combo, as I have found out most usually go bad with either the ESC or the receiver crapping out. The unit I had did exactly that.
I ended up using an old school Novak Cyclone ESC (no motor limit), paired with a old Traxxas receiver & radio. Much cheaper than trying to replace with the stock ESC/receiver combo & the small footprint works well too!! Just remember that you'll be using either NICD or MIMH batteries with that ESC. I had thought about even using a Novak SPY ESC, but again, money was an issue.
I also replaced the stock servo with a Spektrum A320, 16 gram metal gear servo.
As far as batteries, if you have the battery holder (looks like a cage), I'd just use 6 AA batteries.
Hope that helps

Originally Posted by RC_Newby
So I'm brand new to this forum and this hobby again after about 20 years away. I recently came into possession of a Losi Mini-T roller. No motor, esc, Rx, Tx, servo, or battery. I was hoping to throw some stuff into it on the cheap side so that my wife can run it. Any suggestions as to what works well in this machine would be awesome! Thanks for your time!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks
I had a similar 1/18 scale buggy but it was a Kyosho Mini Inferno Half 8.
I chunked the original ESC/receiver combo, as I have found out most usually go bad with either the ESC or the receiver crapping out. The unit I had did exactly that.
I ended up using an old school Novak Cyclone ESC (no motor limit), paired with a old Traxxas receiver & radio. Much cheaper than trying to replace with the stock ESC/receiver combo & the small footprint works well too!! Just remember that you'll be using either NICD or MIMH batteries with that ESC. I had thought about even using a Novak SPY ESC, but again, money was an issue.
I also replaced the stock servo with a Spektrum A320, 16 gram metal gear servo.
As far as batteries, if you have the battery holder (looks like a cage), I'd just use 6 AA batteries.
Hope that helps

I still have 2 Kyosho Mini Inferno...the Half 8's.
One is fully custom and the other is close. Used to only do speed runs on one and still do, and on the other i use only 2s to play around....
Both have this chassis:

-Last run on 6s didn't finish well :P. Anything an hammer won't solve...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

6s run

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

4s run

+ YouTube Video

2s run
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC_Newby
I have one - they are fun little cars. I have tried it with modified brushed and with a castle brushless - modified brushed has great control but got pretty hot. The castle brushless was way fast- especially on lipo.

I would get a hs55 servo - you have to buy the hs55 servo saver separately so it can be mounted properly. I recently got a cheap $30 trakstar 1/18 brushless system, $7-8 dollar 900-1300 2s lipos from hobbyking (check on the size) and the $35 trakstar ts4g radio for my mini t. The radio has gyro which could be helpful in keeping the truck stable at speed - but haven't had the chance to install everything yet.

Not sure if your car already has the oil aluminum shocks, but those would be my first upgrade. The ball diffs, slippers and mip cvds are also recommended - but maybe wait on them until something breaks.