R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Micro and Mini Scales (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales-115/)
-   -   Motor/ ESC options for Mini Revo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/935509-motor-esc-options-mini-revo.html)

Maxximize 03-24-2016 12:16 AM

Motor/ ESC options for Mini Revo

So I just got my brushed 1/16 Revo and have ran it a few times and I'm loving it! I don't want to upgrade it much, but I don't expect the stock Titan to last too long. So I am trying to figure out what I want to do with the truck once it does go. One option would be to get a high end brushed motor of course, but at $40 or so for a good 15-17T 540, I think I'd be better off with a budget brushless set up.

I found a few that look interesting, but really don't know how the performance would be in this truck. I want to run a 540 can, but I don't want to overpower the truck or shred my driveline. I know I will have to shim my diffs when I go brushless for sure. If I could keep it around 35 mph on 2s with the ability to run 3s, that would be perfect. Ideally I want a set up that will get long run times and has good low end grunt and throttle response. I'd also like as small an ESC as possible so mounting in the stock position is easier.

RcGuy13 03-24-2016 04:14 AM

Id probably go for the velineon. It was designed for this truck. Depending what you run it on, it may or may not be overpowered.

If you are strictly looking 540, Id say a dynamite Tazer system. I put one on those bad boys in my rustler and it flys down the road in nimhs!

Maxximize 03-24-2016 11:30 PM

Thanks for the response! I thought about the Velineon system, but I'd rather run a 540 because I already have the mount for that size and it should help keep the heat lower I figure. I mostly run off road, in grass and dirt/mud and use NiMH and 2s LiFe packs.

The Tazer is actually one systems I found that looked really nice. Waterproof ESC, great price and nice looking motor can. What KV did you use? I was thinking the 2800KV system would be good for this truck. I'm also looking at some sensored systems, but those appear to cost more.

MJADad 03-25-2016 11:30 PM

So much to learn!

Maxximize 03-26-2016 12:12 AM

Me, yea I'm a nitro guy mostly lol. I got this little guy for running around the house and for when it's cold out. I hate tuning in the winter when it's below 40 degrees. This is actually my first electric truck since 2000 when I bought a Stampede, which was my first hobby grade RC. So much has changed! I am trying to grasp the difference in performance per volt of brushless vs brushed. I'm thinking that running 2s Life packs with a 540 motor will provide what I'm looking for here, but I really don't know.

targetingxmod 03-26-2016 07:05 AM

Just get a Hobbywing 60A esc that is equal or smaller then the stock brushless ESC and has more continuous and max amps then the stock one.
As for the motor any 28mm can motor with 48mm lenght will do on 4500kv range...

Cheap?
-Try "Tacon" or "Leopard"

Medium?
-Try the VXL traxxas motor, good enough
-TPPower motors, 28mm can motors...

High dollar?
-Neu 28mm diamenter motors...
-Lehner's....
-Team Trinity if they are still avaiable... (medium, maybe but were high dollars)

Also first thing to get is "sway bars". It will turn instantly into a racing pedigree machine in the handling department!

https://traxxas.com/products/models/...16-tsm?t=specs
Case Size: 26.5mm W x 46.5mm D x 22mm H
Weight: 38 grams
Motors: Sensorless Brushless
Motor Limit: None
Peak Current: 326A
Continuous Current: 52A
BEC Voltage: 6.0V DC

The Hobbywing esc is a 60A / 380A and is: 31.5x27.5x24.0mm
http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?i...er_attr=5417.0

Maxximize 03-26-2016 06:50 PM

I like the look of that Hobbywing, very affordable too! It doesn't appear to be waterproof, which kind of sucks. But the size is perfect. I am planning on running a 540 motor though, so it will have to be capable of that. In looking at the stock VXL ESC, it says there is no motor limit for it, so I'm wondering if that would be an option if paired with a 540 with a similar or lower power rating to the stock Velineon 380. Between that and the Hobbywing I'd almost rather go with the VXL ESC because it is waterproof. I love being able to hose my trucks down after a dirty run! Not to mention snow runs without a second thought.

I actually tried looking into Trinity before posting here, but can't find much available through them. They used to be the go to brand back in the brushed only days, The Speed Gems 540's were king! I also looked at Novak sensored systems, but those are very expensive! A Novak ESC with a cheaper motor might be a decent combo though, too. Another one I was looking at was Orion as I know they sell milder RTR style systems used in Kyosho trucks.

I will definitely look into the sway bars too. I ran the truck for about an hour today and noticed under hard cornering it does lean quite a bit and will easily traction roll as the wheels camber out if I'm not careful.

Maxximize 03-26-2016 08:56 PM

OK I looked around a little more at some ESC's. How would a Novak Edge with a 17.5T (Or maybe 13.5T?) sensored 540 motor perform on 2s as compared to a modified 15T double wound brushed motor with the stock XL2.5? Again, not looking to set speed records or do rolling back flips at 30mph, just make a powerful little back yard machine that can at least do a little better than my best brushed option. I'm positive that brushless combo will afford better runtimes, but not so sure about speed. The Edge only supports 2s max, but it is waterproof and very, very small. It will fit normally in the stock ESC position quite easily. All my batteries are 2s anyways. It's around $110, but if I combine it with a cheaper motor I won't be too far ahead of a Hobbywing combo. Novak makes a few other small form factor ESC's, but the Edge is the most affordable. I cannot seem to find it's amperage ratings though.