Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Battery... Failed ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? New Battery... Failed ESC?

So I got a new battery for my ProPulse "Megatech" truck. Ran great for about two weeks, then stopped working entirely. Now when I connect my battery the ESC heat fins get untouchably HOT. I am assuming this means my ESC has an internal short? I am not sure how to test this without any equipment to swap out for testing. I did plug the battery leads from the ESC into a multimeter and can see it has a short, unless that is not a good indication.

So before I go buy a new ESC I want to make sure this is the issue?? Also, if it is the ESC then what could have caused this? I am connecting a Duratrax DTXC2186 7.2V 1600mAh NiMH High Discharge battery, which is the only change I have made. Could it be the battery?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I'm thinking is not your battery. Is it brushed or brushless setup. Did it ever function correctly with that battery. If it did I would say your battery couldn't cover amp draw and esc over heated and popped something. The only thing I use nimh for is crawlers and honestly almost all of my crawlers run lipo now.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes it is brushed. Yes it did work for a couple weeks with that battery. This battery came with much smaller gauge wires, could that be the reason for incorrect power draw?

This is a super cheap truck so I didn't go the lipo route as the battery cost twice as much as the truck.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AQucsaiJr
Yes it is brushed. Yes it did work for a couple weeks with that battery. This battery came with much smaller gauge wires, could that be the reason for incorrect power draw?

This is a super cheap truck so I didn't go the lipo route as the battery cost twice as much as the truck.
Seriously? A LiPO battery for what you need would only cost around $15-20 if you did some online shopping at Hobbyking. If your truck cost less than that, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Make sure the motor is in top shape, or else it will cause great strain on the esc....
Old 11-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Suspended

Hi here is some useable info
propulse megateck aka Radio shack Mini rc no longewr sold. I have 6 of these and a ton of parts

The esc is bad shorted reason Unknown age so on but battery did not cause this.
what can be done check motor with a D cell battery and 2 wires soldered to it..
Next buy a new esc almost any 1/16 scale esc brushed will work.I run a few different esc some are 1/10 scale what i call High end esc.This model new will only pull 6 amps mac info from my wattsup logger

check all wheell bearing u might have one that failed..