Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/18 scale vehicles for racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Xray M18 or M18 pro is the way to go if no jump.

Put a nice mamba 8000kv and some foam tire and nothing could touch this.

Are you ready to handle this type of power LOL

I did several 1/18 race back in the day (onroad 1/18, offroad 1/18, pancar 1/18...etc) and xray M18 or M18 pro was the way to go, that's it !!!

oh and we were racing latrax rally here and it's a nice car for the price but you will need a lot of upgrade
Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE7kiKiusCY

driver don't know how to drive but look at the power. he probably have a 8000kv in it.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

looks like the M18T is no longer made or at least I don't see it on some of the common online sites.

I'll have to check more into this to see if it needs to truly be a 1/18 truck. Also, the condition of the carpet as well if the small tires would be an issue.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Our club races 1/18 scale cars every other week from September to June.
We run 2 classes, a spec class and an open class
The spec class is based on the BRP sc18v2m using 3100kv brushless motors and 2s lipo. The benefit is these cars are tough and very little maintenance.

In the Open class it is open chassis and as a club we have raced a pile of cars. Here is the list and a very short review of each.
- the BRP sc18v2m: this 2wd car can keep up with 4wd cars on smaller tight tracks and has won the class a few times. these are bullet proof cars with very little breakage.

- Brown engineering Rhino: this is also a small 2wd pan car. Again it can keep up with 4wd cars. Slightly easier to break than the BRP and seems to be slightly harder to set up.

- Exotek R18 II: This is a discontinued conversion of the RC18r/apex mini. This is the high bar for 1/18 4wd onroad. If you can find one buy it. they work great.

- SC18/RC18LM: these 4wd associated cars are the exact same dimensions as the exo R18II. They are a very good handling car, on par with the Exo. The issue with it is the Carbon fiber chassis conversion comes with a motor mount that does not fit a typical 1/18 motor and belt rubbing issues.

- RC18R/Apex Mini: Out of the box the steering for these cars is horrible. The linkage has too much slop, the servo saver is too weak, and the servo will strip out easily. Once you have fixed the steering problems the car is good working.

- Duratrax Vendetta TC: this 4wd car is also discontinued. It was pretty quick but tire selection is poor. the width of the tires seems to limit its traction. the car seemed to be very tough but the rear upper links and rear hubs seemed to be the weak spot. The spur gear is a different pitch than any other 1/18 (mod.6) so pinions are hard to get.

- Xray M18 / Exo version of the m18: this is a 4wd that a few tried but never had success with. They seem to be the smallest 1/18 cars and appeared to be prone to traction rolls. The Exotek conversion didn't help much on this platform. Parts are expensive compared to others.

- Turnigy TR-V7: this 4wd is available from several sellers under different names. It is just slightly bigger than a RC18. Its con's are that the drivetrain is pretty weak. An owner of a TR V7 is going to be good at changing gearbox gears. LaTrax parts can be made to fit for those creative.

- LaTrax Rally: this 4wd seems to be a decent car, but out of the box there is so much missing for the price. It needs bearings, shocks, motor/esc, battery to race it. Poor tire selection as well. the rear hubs are particularly weak but there is an aluminum option. It looks like this car could be built to be competitive, but I think the cost would be quite high with an unproven result.

- HPI Micro RS4: this 4wd is another car that guys have tried but have not been successful with. Again this is a very small 1/18. It is a very simple design but I have not seen anyone tune it to work well. this is a wildcard for me as it might be decent, but other options are more proven to work better.

- Microcute q2: this was on sale on Ebay for a few months and we got one to try. It is a very small 4wd belt drive. Out of the box the driveline looks promising, but the suspension in general is wrong for the car. shock bodies don't hold oil and the springs are too stiff. Never worked quite right and would need work.

Last edited by lawton70; 10-21-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Forgot about the MicroCute Q2
Old 10-21-2015, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Lawton,
Do you think the BRP cars could be raced on a Mini Z-sized track?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think they would be a little big for a mini-z track. We race ours on a 60 foot by 36 foot CRC carpet track in a roadcourse. about 6-7 foot lanes.
If you tried it a bonus would be that you could get a very low KV motor for it and it would run for an hour.

Here is a youtube video of our old track before CRC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIXB1RYFLo
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Tech Legend

good info! strange I heard the M18 pros at least were good. but, considering how small makes you wonder.

I wish they still made the vendettas as I know guys who ran these with cut down touring car foam tires as if i recall correctly the hex was 12mm and it worked great.

I used to have a BRP back in the big mini craze when the micro rs4s were ran. it was no contest, I could tons of laps on the field with this car.

I'll have to give that a look too. Right now I am leaning towards an RC18 version 2 in some manner. Not sure if one is better to do than another though, sounds like you want the length of the sc18?
Old 10-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, the SC18 and RC18LM are the same width, RC18T2 is wider.
The sc18 with the LM fromt bumper makes a decent road car.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Anyone have any experience with the Atomic AMZ cars? They look interesting and more on par with the Mini Z size, but technologically more like an Xray M18.

http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index...024ea6b42496db
Old 10-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lawton70
- Xray M18 / Exo version of the m18: this is a 4wd that a few tried but never had success with. They seem to be the smallest 1/18 cars and appeared to be prone to traction rolls. The Exotek conversion didn't help much on this platform. Parts are expensive compared to others.
if you do traction roll, just put some glue on the tire side, it will fix it. what kind of tire have you tried with it? a good setup was 50 front and 40 or 45 rear.

an other good setup was 45 front (glue the side tire) and 40 rear.

I will guarantee you that you will never do a traction roll
Old 10-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Anyone have any experience with the Atomic AMZ cars? They look interesting and more on par with the Mini Z size, but technologically more like an Xray M18.

http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index...024ea6b42496db
Take a look in the thread here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...ompetitor.html

There is a nice little review of the car by RCTech user "golgi". I race with this gentleman, and he is intelligent, friendly, and a darn good driver. He might be a good source of advice.

I'm also considering buying the AMZ. I have been slowly resurrecting my old ABC DTMs, but they require a dedicated track since they are 2WD. I'm hoping the AMZ, being 4WD, will run okay on bare concrete.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Dromida sc 4.18

Just got my daughter a Dromida SC to try at indoor carpet spec racing.(no jumps) Anyone have any advice on allowable tuning tips? Thinking lowering the shocks, sidewall gluing etc.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Legend

what are the spec rules for what you are racing?

I will say, the 1/16 scale Tacon / LC Racing vehicles are pretty nice.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
what are the spec rules for what you are racing?
"Dromida sc only" novice class, no motor or battery mods, stock rubber. Thinking the chassis would benefit from lowering ride height, wondering best way to do this.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Legend

you could put limiters inside the shocks that would limit the travel of the shocks and lower the ride height. If you find other brand springs that fit and are shorter, worth a look there too.

Thats cool they have a class like that.