Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Losi 8ight mini new receiver - still power loss >

Losi 8ight mini new receiver - still power loss

Losi 8ight mini new receiver - still power loss

Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 8ight mini new receiver - still power loss

Hello friends!

my Losi 8ight mini has just received a new receiver (Spektrum SR301 Coated 3-Channel DSM Sport Surface Receiver) as the old one got wet and was damaged. I replaced an SR300.

After fitting the car still looses power after 8mins or so. I have cut the front window to the car to have an air follow straight onto the ESC. This is factory Losi one.

I am a little lost with what is causing the power cut out?

I have fresh batteries NiMH in the remote, the black stubbie on the antenna has come off before and shows the lose wire. But I have manual fed that back into the black antenna? Don't know if it is that or not?

I am still getting power cut outs. I just had a power cut and hit a gutter and nearly 80% speed with a bit of damage.

If it is the ESC can anyone recommend one from Hobbyking that is cheap?
I've spent a lot on this thing.. :/
thanks everyone!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Well...
Problems are constant in rc....
It's up to the user to fix them

If car looses power after 8 minutes it's caused of 2 things... batery is out or heat. Being you are using a nimh it's booth of them.

If all signal is ok for 8 minutes...that's not a tx/rc issue!

Nihm loose's power from the first second like a waterfall, and lipos keep constant voltage power till LVC.
All that even worst if you are using the stock wall charger that is just a joke!

Invest first on a cheap new good 2s lipo and an rc charger with display. Your problems from then on will became stripped pinions/spurs and bold tires!

Oh, and invest in a good radio...or a cheap good one like FlySky GT3C with 9dollars receivers. No one uses the stock radios that came with rtr's...only newbies that just got their first rc! When got a second Rc you need a radio with model memory and start to realize all the good stuff you will be losting with sticking to an RTR transmitter! It's just the way things are.

More honest i can't be!

Originally Posted by losi8ightau View Post
Hello friends!

my Losi 8ight mini has just received a new receiver (Spektrum SR301 Coated 3-Channel DSM Sport Surface Receiver) as the old one got wet and was damaged. I replaced an SR300.

After fitting the car still looses power after 8mins or so. I have cut the front window to the car to have an air follow straight onto the ESC. This is factory Losi one.

I have fresh batteries NiMH in the remote, the black stubbie on the antenna has come off before and shows the lose wire. But I have manual fed that back into the black antenna? Don't know if it is that or not?

I am still getting power cut outs. I just had a power cut and hit a gutter and nearly 80% speed with a bit of damage.

thanks everyone!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello friends!

thanks everyone!

Gotta agree with targeting the rtr radios are trash. Here's a link to the esc I use. Oh Yeah get some lipo's and a cheap charger! So you can really enjoy the mini 8
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Last edited by jg6743; 03-27-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Tech Rookie

I mean't to say I am using NiMH in the stock Losi remote controller for the x 4 AA batteries.

I have x2 - 3s 30C Lipos and x 2 -2s 40C lipos with a LiPo charger
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for that. Does the ESC fit ok where the old ESC fitted? As it has a fan it looks a little higher than the stock ESC? I've got it mounted on the part where the stock one goes..

Also is the Turnigy GTX3 from Hobbyking a decent upgrade from the stock radio?
My other option is a second hand Spektrum DX2L or similar for about $100AU
Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for that. Does the ESC fit ok where the old ESC fitted? As it has a fan it looks a little higher than the stock ESC? I've got it mounted on the part where the stock one goes..

Also is the Turnigy GTX3 from Hobbyking a decent upgrade from the stock radio?
My other option is a second hand Spektrum DX2L or similar for about $100AU
took fan off, cut out windshield and mounted esc as far forward as possible.I have no experience with that radio. A lot of people use this one.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Tech Rookie

The radio appears to have the same features, Hobbyking is my fastest option for postage as it is from Asia to Australia rather than the US.

I have already cut my window out, is there no chance of getting it in with the fan on? Also can it run ok with no fan without overheating?
Do you stop for a cool down at a certain temp at all?