Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S >

Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S

Like Tree1Likes

Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S

Old 10-10-2014, 02:49 PM
  #61  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
lemonader83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope you don't mind me hopping in here with ya, but I've enjoyed and learned from ur build.

I got a turnigy hxt 2845 last night on a sheer luck bargain box find a and am now hunting down 4s too. Is everyone doing a mmp or are there other esc's worth looking at?
lemonader83 is offline  
Old 10-11-2014, 08:24 PM
  #62  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lemonader83 View Post
Hope you don't mind me hopping in here with ya, but I've enjoyed and learned from ur build.

I got a turnigy hxt 2845 last night on a sheer luck bargain box find a and am now hunting down 4s too. Is everyone doing a mmp or are there other esc's worth looking at?
That's good to hear. In my opinion, I wouldn't go with anything else. They have worked perfect for me, plus they can handle up to 6S.
0verkill is offline  
Old 10-15-2014, 03:51 PM
  #63  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 141
Default

well. you certainly live up to your nickname!

this is all good stuff. my car is back up again after fixing the rear diff gear, havent driven it that much after the power upgrade.

Seems like im suffering from what you discovered earlier with the motor sliding out of position and pinion gets on the spur with an angle.. have happened two times now, i cleaned off the screws and threads on the motor mount and used some blue loctite there and tightened it all i could now.. I guess ill have to do something similar to your vent fix there if it happens again..
these_savages is offline  
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM
  #64  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by these_savages View Post
well. you certainly live up to your nickname!

this is all good stuff. my car is back up again after fixing the rear diff gear, havent driven it that much after the power upgrade.

Seems like im suffering from what you discovered earlier with the motor sliding out of position and pinion gets on the spur with an angle.. have happened two times now, i cleaned off the screws and threads on the motor mount and used some blue loctite there and tightened it all i could now.. I guess ill have to do something similar to your vent fix there if it happens again..
It will happen again, just hit some nice jumps.
0verkill is offline  
Old 10-15-2014, 09:20 PM
  #65  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

This TP2940 is on my buggy, not the truggy.

The screw hole spacing is not a direct fit. I had to widen that slot out to get that screw in there.


Instead of butchering up my chassis to fit this 29mm can, I wanted to try shimming up the motor mount and gear boxes. I used (4) M3 washers on each screw for a height increase of 2mm.


It just barely fits in.


I had to cut part of the servo and servo mount in order to fit this monster. This wouldn't be necessary on the truggy.


This thing takes up half the chassis!


Foams are a requirement for what this buggy is about to see. This motor produces up to 1600W, which is twice as much as the Leopard 2845 that was just in it.
0verkill is offline  
Old 10-17-2014, 04:28 AM
  #66  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Truggy

I'm switching to plan B on the center drive shaft. This one is made out of carbon fiber, with the stock aluminum end pieces.

0verkill is offline  
Old 10-17-2014, 01:04 PM
  #67  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

After thinking about the motor fitment, I think a better idea would be to cut out a complete hole out of the chassis where the motor sits and then jb weld a piece of sheet metal on the bottom side to cover the hole. That gives you the 2mm of space that is needed. Shimming up the gear boxes is not ideal because you lose those support tabs that go into the chassis and it's just a hassle for many reasons.
0verkill is offline  
Old 10-17-2014, 02:31 PM
  #68  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
lemonader83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Interesting, I'm shocked at how huge that motor is! I found a motor called a "voltron" on ebay that looks similar. Anybody know anything about em?

Getting ready to play with the high voltage mini 8ights!!!
lemonader83 is offline  
Old 10-18-2014, 12:50 PM
  #69  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lemonader83 View Post
Interesting, I'm shocked at how huge that motor is! I found a motor called a "voltron" on ebay that looks similar. Anybody know anything about em?

Getting ready to play with the high voltage mini 8ights!!!
Never heard of it. I'm hoping to make some speed runs this weekend with a new gps.
0verkill is offline  
Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM
  #70  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
lemonader83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Can you guys give me some advice on the proposed combos?

Castle mamba monster, no fan, same footprint, less height, 35mm tall
voltron 4000kv 70mm inrunner(caps at 4s, 80a, 2000w)
(Or)
Castle mamba max -again no fan
Leopard 2858 3500kv(u guys know the specs)

Or....do we go the distance and do 6s with a 3000kv acme motor paired with the mamba monster?

What to do, what to do....
lemonader83 is offline  
Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM
  #71  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
lemonader83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
Truggy

I'm switching to plan B on the center drive shaft. This one is made out of carbon fiber, with the stock aluminum end pieces.

What did you bond this with?
lemonader83 is offline  
Old 10-18-2014, 10:06 PM
  #72  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lemonader83 View Post
Can you guys give me some advice on the proposed combos?

Castle mamba monster, no fan, same footprint, less height, 35mm tall
voltron 4000kv 70mm inrunner(caps at 4s, 80a, 2000w)
(Or)
Castle mamba max -again no fan
Leopard 2858 3500kv(u guys know the specs)

Or....do we go the distance and do 6s with a 3000kv acme motor paired with the mamba monster?

What to do, what to do....
The Mamba Max Pro is 45.5x36.5x21.5mm, and putting that ESC in the stock location, the largest motor that fits is 54mm in length. So in that case, I would go with the Leopard 2850. If you're willing to move the ESC elsewhere, you could run the Leopard 2860, which is 64mm in length. I really like the 28mm Leopard motors and they're cheap. The TP2940 29mm motor required a lot more modifications to fit. I wouldn't trust the specs on that Voltron motor. If you go with a 6S setup, take a look at the Dinogy 1300mah 65C battery. It would fit very well at 29x35x100mm.

Originally Posted by lemonader83 View Post
What did you bond this with?
It's a metal based epoxy and plenty of curing time. I'm not making it myself, I'm having someone who's been making them for 10 years do it.
0verkill is offline  
Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 PM
  #73  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Got it all buttoned up. The stock body does not like all of these big parts.



Quanum GPS Logger V2.

0verkill is offline  
Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM
  #74  
Tech Master
iTrader: (16)
 
lemonader83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Please drive that beast and record it, that's gonna be fast man!!!

I've been chatting with voltron folks on this and they're extremely legit. They make all sorts of high end edf jet parts by the name of "velocity rc". Theyve been super helpful, speak spot on English and best of all; know they're stuff. We'll see, I bought it last night and a hk100amp controller that handles 4s. Not too worried about space, mines the actual mini 8ight t so I've got plenty. I've been mounting it the same way you are and I've got plenty of space.

6s is possible with this motor, but 4200kv plus 4s should be plenty for now.

I'm guessing yours will be faster given the size, what are you thinking for wheels? That tppower motor looks so dang good in there!
lemonader83 is offline  
Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM
  #75  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
0verkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,189
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by lemonader83 View Post
Please drive that beast and record it, that's gonna be fast man!!!

I've been chatting with voltron folks on this and they're extremely legit. They make all sorts of high end edf jet parts by the name of "velocity rc". Theyve been super helpful, speak spot on English and best of all; know they're stuff. We'll see, I bought it last night and a hk100amp controller that handles 4s. Not too worried about space, mines the actual mini 8ight t so I've got plenty. I've been mounting it the same way you are and I've got plenty of space.

6s is possible with this motor, but 4200kv plus 4s should be plenty for now.

I'm guessing yours will be faster given the size, what are you thinking for wheels? That tppower motor looks so dang good in there!
That's good to hear. I'm curious to see how it performs for you. The truggy would be better for speed runs for many reasons but I didn't want to go that route with mine. I'm running the Xceed RC 30mm "Enneti" 1/10 Carbon Nitro Sedan Rear Tires (foams) on my buggy, but those would be too small on the truggy. Look up the custom foams for the truggy wheels made by gone_banana_racing_skinz on ebay.
0verkill is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.