Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S >

Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S

Like Tree1Likes

Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S

Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
You don't have to modify anything if you do it this way.

Losi pressure plate, Traxxas slipper pad, Traxxas spur gear, Traxxas bearing, washer, Losi small bearing inside of Losi large bearing, Traxxas bearing, 3 Losi washers, Losi nut.

Traxxas 48P Spur Gear 55T, 7047R
Traxxas Slipper Pad, 7152
Traxxas Bearings 4x8x3 (2), 7019
Washer from hardware store
Thank you, really appreciate your help! =)
Old 11-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lemonader83 View Post
Thx for the info on the gearbox....go blue or go home eh?

The motor and esc still do well together, but lots of cogging at first. Using 60c batts so I know it's not that. The esc is a hk100a and I'm geared 17/55, that doesn't seem like the prob either. Haven't programmed the esc yet, but the thing I figured I should tweak the defaults. Options are start up power(0-30%) and timing(low, medium, high, highest). Any idea where I should put those values? Still paired with the voltron 4200k

Thanks!
I have my start up power at 100% and timing is whatever the default is.

Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
Hey man "Overkill"... could you help me out?

Do you have a picture of the buggy with that TP motor with the servo mounted?
Or with everything together from above like this one?

Me are full of small ideas
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fliiix View Post
Thank you, really appreciate your help! =)
No problem.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just hit 80.7 mph! That's with the buggy on 3S and 35/45 gearing. I'll post up a video later.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
Just hit 80.7 mph! That's with the buggy on 3S and 35/45 gearing. I'll post up a video later.
what tires are those? Can post a link where to buy, brand model?

I see that the servo mount on the motor side in where? Is there a 0.5cm space between motor and servo? Why not keeping the servo mount to?

That is the 68mm lenght motor right?
Old 11-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can't get my mini 8T to stop wheelie-ing every time I try to hit max speed. I have a wheelie bar, its riding fairly low, but I'm using off road tires and the slipper is tight. Once it's up to speed the wind just catches the chassis and flips it over like Mark Webber's Mercedes Le Mans car. I can get to about 80-90% max throttle but once I go up to 100% it's just too much.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Found a 4mm 0.5 mod pinion

Found a steel 0.5mod, 4mm bore pinion with an m3 set screw. Unfortunately it's from the UK and costs around 40 bucks with shipping to get it to the US, but I won't have to do any machining on the motor shaft or drilling of any pinions. I just got the leopard 2860-3400kv motor to build up another mini 8T, this time 4S and pavement specific with foamies. The picture shows the leopard motor next to the neu-motor. The leopard claims 200W (600 vs 400) constant and 300W (1300 vs 1000) peak more than the neu-motor.

http://www.gearsandsprockets.co.uk/m...el-spur-gears/
Attached Thumbnails Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S-image.jpg  

Last edited by EggsnBacon; 11-29-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

That size motor of Leopard close to the Neu makes the Neu a sissy!

http://www.leopardhobby.com/proviewe...=1&gid=71&pt=3

That 64mm lenght motor fits on the Mini8 buggy? Or need to do something to the servo mount?

One good thing about those Leopards is the 16mm distance holes that match the Losi Min8 motor mount. Not so luck for the REAL power TP Power motors which are 19mm distance holes. (being thinking on that to much latelly )

Man, just reduce the shaft to 3.2m. It's more easy then you think. It's not rocket science! Fear is what makes what you getting out... but once you have done it... heck...only that?
Do you have a dremel or a driller? Get a sand stone or sand disc and it's done!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

-65mm from motor mount to servo holder.
-68/69mm from motor mount without the second piece that sits on motor to servo holder.

This may be helpfull to someone!

Old 11-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post

That 64mm lenght motor fits on the Mini8 buggy? Or need to do something to the servo mount?

Man, just reduce the shaft to 3.2m. It's more easy then you think. It's not rocket science! Fear is what makes what you getting out... but once you have done it... heck...only that?
Do you have a dremel or a driller? Get a sand stone or sand disc and it's
This is on the mini 8 truggy, you can see in the picture that there is plenty of room between this motor and the servo mount. The buggy might not be able to fit this one in it.

As for the shaft: no! Lol I know all about the "ain't nothin to it but to do it" attitude when it comes to machining or even general maintenance on everyday things, but I have to be able to be proud and happy with what I accomplish. I haven't seen a method of grinding the shaft (or boring a pinion due to the grub screws stripping out when there isn't enough material left on the hub) that is "acceptable" to me. I would need to take the motor shaft out of the motor and turn it on a lathe to get it proper, and then mount it to cut a flat spot for a set screw. I have access to a lathe and mill but not all the mounting tools yet so I would rather pay 40 bucks for a pinion than spend a day getting everything perfect. The biggest issue I have with grinding the shaft is the amount of stress risers it introduces. It would have to be polished back to a smooth surface to regain its strength.
Attached Thumbnails Losi Mini 8ight-T Build - Leopard Motor 4S-image.jpg  
Old 11-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EggsnBacon View Post
I haven't seen a method of grinding the shaft (or boring a pinion due to the grub screws stripping out when there isn't enough material left on the hub) that is "acceptable" to me. ... It would have to be polished back to a smooth surface to regain its strength.
I agree, there's some flimsy looking results out there, but what's not acceptable about this:

Holds up under 4kW (actual logs, no Mickey Mouse manufacturer specs) loads, so I guess a typical mini scale loads would be no problem.

Not trying to change your mind, but for the benefit of anyone else interested, here's how to: http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...-approach.html
Old 11-29-2014, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

If anyone is interested I recently found a 28 can 46mm long 4 pole motor with a 3,2mm shaft. They are very high quality but also quite expensive (90€). Also they only come in 3100 kV. I might be ordering one in the future and report on it's performance. But for now I have have a leopard hobby with a grinded down shaft...no issue.
Mega Motors: http://www.megamotor.cz/v4/script/de...ge_id=lang_eng
Old 11-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone is interested I recently found a 28 can 46mm long 4 pole motor with a 3,2mm shaft. They are very high quality but also quite expensive (90€). Also they only come in 3100 kV. I might be ordering one in the future and report on it's performance. But for now I have have a leopard hobby with a grinded down shaft...no issue.
Hum... their resistance in ohms is to dam high.... I really didn't know this brand!
Could be High End, could be garbagde!

-Just need to test it and know....

But those options for ceramic boca orange bearings says that this is HIGH END!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dr_T View Post
I agree, there's some flimsy looking results out there, but what's not acceptable about this...Holds up under 4kW (actual logs, no Mickey Mouse manufacturer specs) loads, so I guess a typical mini scale loads would be no problem.
That one looks pretty good, probably the best I've seen. But there are still the 90 degree angles on the shaft where the flat spot is, although they're outside angles so it's not a big deal. I doubt I would ever have any issues with breaking a motor shaft especially on a mini but the weak motor mount (apparently allowing the motors to move on big impacts), extended length can, and cyclic stresses were enough to make me want to find a 4mm pinion instead.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

For that price you can buy a neu motor with a 29mm can, 3.2 or 2.3 mm shafts, and a wide range of kV and can lengths.

Last edited by EggsnBacon; 11-29-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by EggsnBacon View Post
For that price you can buy a neu motor with a 29mm can 3.2mm shaft and a wide range of kV, although they're not that long.
I've been looking all over the place, and where the hell can you buy these? (Neu)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.