Upgrading Mini 8ight for racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading Mini 8ight for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default Upgrading Mini 8ight for racing?

Maybe there is a thread already started for this topic but I'll start this up anyways. I'm interested in any info or pointers needed to make this platform a good solid racer. Is there any weak points, common parts that will break?

Also, what steering Savox servos will fit this buggy? Any other servos besides Hitec that will fit?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Shock towers, suspension mounts. Also might want some shock caps (the plastic piece) and ends.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I put cf shock towers back in front steel spur and pinion I put proline closed cell foam inserts in stock tires and wheels proline powerstroke shock caps i used a rpm bumper and have been having good luck but I think a lot of ppl say the tbone bumpers are better I was snapping gear covers everytime I drove I ordered the alum gearboxes front and rear but since I put cf towers on I have had no issues with the gearboxes so I've yet to use the alum ones I'm really happy with how my m8 is running now I also used a solar servo as it was 12 bucks and specs were close/ better then the savox or hitech
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by amd936
I put cf shock towers back in front steel spur and pinion I put proline closed cell foam inserts in stock tires and wheels proline powerstroke shock caps i used a rpm bumper and have been having good luck but I think a lot of ppl say the tbone bumpers are better I was snapping gear covers everytime I drove I ordered the alum gearboxes front and rear but since I put cf towers on I have had no issues with the gearboxes so I've yet to use the alum ones I'm really happy with how my m8 is running now I also used a solar servo as it was 12 bucks and specs were close/ better then the savox or hitech
Whats the Solar servo model number you use? Are Solar, Savox and Hitec the only servo choices for the M8?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d658.html
I believe that's the one I got it recenters well I used a horn cause the saver I had was not wrking right it's better now but seems like it has some drag when sitting still in the grass like it needs more torq but when it's driving it feels nice not sure if that makes sense the saver I bought for it was a kimbrogh airtronics saver it was not working well at all I've read the X-ray saver are good but don't no pn or anything
Old 05-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Regular

I read that adjusting the set screws on the front and rear arms enough so the shocks not extending all the way would help with breaking shock ends I have not broke one yet by doing this mine are stock I have broke the top cap on the shocks and I went threw about five stock spur and pinions in this thing that's what's been most problematic for me anyways I really like this buggy a lot
Old 05-13-2014, 11:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Where can i purchase these hop ups or my mini 8?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

also to me the stock tires seam to be to hard of a rubber to allow good traction any suggestions on where after market tires can be purchased?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

You can cut any tire you want they take 1/10 scale 2wd front buggy tire in the front and 1/10 scale 4wd front buggy tire for rear there is a tutorial on how to do it from proline I have not tried it for tires but have on the closed cell inserts from proline I used stock tires on indoor clay they felt fine to me and after putting the foams in 15weight oil in rear and 20 in front my buggy handles great on loose topsoil the indoor is 2hrs away so in the summer I drive a small clay outdoor track 15min away and I have a mini 8 track that's topsoil in my yard and my friends 1/10th scale backyard track so the terreain is really bumpy bad I couldn't go over half throttle on my friends track without flipping or flying out of controll at littlest bump after what mods I've done and the shock oil change I can go full throttle no issues as for where I got the mods I just searched around i can take pics of the mods I've done but it's nothing new I got everything that needs to be fixed on this buggy on here there is loads of info.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

What I dont get is why hasnt anyone (Proline, JConcepts, etc etc) made tires for these. The M8 is a very popular mini. Heck Proline made a line of tires for the RC18T and Mini T, why not the M8????
Old 05-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run a hitec servo in my mini 8ight and i would recommend some better shock caps and upgrading your driveshafts and your shock towers
Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by amd936
You can cut any tire you want they take 1/10 scale 2wd front buggy tire in the front and 1/10 scale 4wd front buggy tire for rear there is a tutorial on how to do it from proline I have not tried it for tires but have on the closed cell inserts from proline I used stock tires on indoor clay they felt fine to me and after putting the foams in 15weight oil in rear and 20 in front my buggy handles great on loose topsoil the indoor is 2hrs away so in the summer I drive a small clay outdoor track 15min away and I have a mini 8 track that's topsoil in my yard and my friends 1/10th scale backyard track so the terreain is really bumpy bad I couldn't go over half throttle on my friends track without flipping or flying out of controll at littlest bump after what mods I've done and the shock oil change I can go full throttle no issues as for where I got the mods I just searched around i can take pics of the mods I've done but it's nothing new I got everything that needs to be fixed on this buggy on here there is loads of info.
Only problem i see with 1/10 buggy tires is they're taller than the mini tires by about 3/8 an inch.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Yea that's why you cut them and glue them back together on mini 8ight rims here's the link
http://www.prolineracing.com/blog/20...si-mini-8ight/
I just didn't explain very clear
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Awesome sir and thanks a million for that link. now off to the hobby store i go.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

No prob