Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Modular Micro RC Track - Minimum Lane Width? >

Modular Micro RC Track - Minimum Lane Width?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modular Micro RC Track - Minimum Lane Width?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Modular Micro RC Track - Minimum Lane Width?

Hi all,

I am planning on building a modular track system that I can use in my living room and for it to also be portable enough to take to places. At the moment I have a Micro DT but I am considering getting a Micro Truggy or even an SCT.

At this stage I have mocked up some basic track designs in CAD that is based on using a 1200 x 600mm piece of ply (4' x 2'). The simplest one using 5 sheets is shown in the attachment below but I have layouts that use 6 and 7 boards as well and they track could get even bigger if space allows. I will be adding features/terrain/small jumps to each board except for the start/finish.

At this stage I am a little concerned about the lane width. With 600w boards and 30mm allowance for barriers I am at abut 540mm or 21". I have done a bit of hunting around and found a website that says about 20" is OK for micros and found a couple of tracks about this width on YouTube. This width looks OK for Micro-T/DT but perhaps a bit small for the 1:24 cars although there is one store track I found that seems to be good with this width. Most people with 1:24 cars look to be using the wider RCP track size, so about 840mm/33" lane width. Any thoughts on the lane width I will be using (540mm/21")?

CG
Attached Thumbnails Modular Micro RC Track - Minimum Lane Width?-basic_l-shape_layout_5-board_640w.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

So I have gone out and bought the materials based on my original idea. I have made a quick 'Proof Of Concept' video but I cannot post it here yet as I have not made enough posts! I guess I can post that later.

Anyhoo...I think the lane width is OK for now so I am going ahead with the build. If I get to the end and it is not quite right then it will be lesson learned...and time to build something bigger!

CG