Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Problem with Mini-Z AWD (MA-010) >

Problem with Mini-Z AWD (MA-010)

Problem with Mini-Z AWD (MA-010)

Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Problem with Mini-Z AWD (MA-010)

Hi all

New member here, finally found a website that has coverage of mini/micro scale and is still active! I love micro scale RC.

I have a Mini Z AWD (MA-010) and have owned it for a few years now, when I got it I didn't read very well and purchased the car only version online, it took me around 6 months to get a KT18 to finally use it...

As soon as I paired them I had this issue, and I have owned the car + tx for over a year now with this issue and have just been so busy I haven't been able to get around to fixing it.

When I turn on my AWD, the steering isn't center, it's got a bias to the right, when I try using the trim on my KT18 to bring it back left but it just trims further to the right, so the left and right trim both trim right.

What would be causing this issue? I have tried re-setting the TX and re-pairing but this doesn't solve the issue?

Does my Mini Z just have a faulty board?
I don't want to fork out $120 for a faulty board only to find the exact same issue.

Please if anyone could help I would be so happy, I have owned this thing for so long but haven't been able to use it properly >_<
Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't know much about the awd, so if it is car related, I cannot help you.
But the KT18 can be a bit picky when it comes to batteries. Try to change to new high quality dry-cells and see if that does it.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for that, I just spent some money getting some really good quality re-chargables and a charger kit. I've just put them on to charge so I will try them in a couple of hours when they're ready.

I pulled apart the KT18 to make sure there wasn't a loose or crossedover wire as well, but it all looks fine in there. I have always used the same brand of battery in there so it's worth a shot.

If the battery fix doesn't work, anyone else have ideas on what it could be?

I'm hopefully meeting up with someone later this week who has a mini-z that works fine, we are going to pair my AWD with this KT18 to see if it has the same issue. Atleast that will let us know if it's a car or TX issue
Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

It could be the baterys on the kt18.
If i remember right i got very odd problems and weird ones when 2 times i just cannot think anything else to do...and by accident when i tried new baterys problems went....

You could try an new alkalines on the kt18 and see if the problem went....

Originally Posted by cole'a View Post
Thanks for that, I just spent some money getting some really good quality re-chargables and a charger kit. I've just put them on to charge so I will try them in a couple of hours when they're ready.

I pulled apart the KT18 to make sure there wasn't a loose or crossedover wire as well, but it all looks fine in there. I have always used the same brand of battery in there so it's worth a shot.

If the battery fix doesn't work, anyone else have ideas on what it could be?

I'm hopefully meeting up with someone later this week who has a mini-z that works fine, we are going to pair my AWD with this KT18 to see if it has the same issue. Atleast that will let us know if it's a car or TX issue
Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Rookie

I tried some NiMH rechargable AAA's in the KT18, still has the same issue.

Argh! This is so annoying!
I have a replacement Pot and servo engine, is it worth changing them to see if that makes a difference? Could the pot be damaged?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

How about steering? It steers both ways and in sort of equal amounts? If its only the trim that is of, i don't think it's the car.

You don't have anyone with a mini-z around? Could je an idea to try another transmitter to see if that does it.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Yep steering works both ways, it just turns sharper to the right because ther wheels are already aligned that way slightly. Mini-Z's sadly aren't that popular around here...I got one to use as an indoor racer / drifter when I can't go outside and use my 1/10th gear.

My local hobby store will be able to help me out on Friday, they said I can quickly pair it with a TX they have in-store to see what happens!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

allright, so I thought I would post my (possible) solution.

I manged to get to a hobby store on friday who were very helpful. Firstly the matched my KT18 with another Mini Z (Store display model) and it worked fine...no issues with steering trim.

So it's not the TX, the guy at the store had a look at the car and tested a few things and he is now 90% sure it's a problem with either the pot or the steering servo engine.

Luckily I have spare parts of both, so I will be taking the car apart tonight after work and replacing both and HOPEFULLY will have a working car. If this doesn't fix it then the only other issue would be the board...which I don't really want to replace because of the $$$
Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The steering servo isnt centered when they asemebled the car at factory. Take apart the servo power it up set trim on remote to center and fix it back centering the wheels as much as possible.