Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
What minis to complement a MERV >

What minis to complement a MERV

What minis to complement a MERV

Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What minis to complement a MERV

Hi. I have a mini revo and I was about to order a mini summit when I saw the following cars and make me think twice about ordering a mini summit.

Losi mini 8eight limited edition
Tacon soar buggy
Tacon MT is out yet?
Tacon desert buggy when it comes out?
Team associated mini rival
HPI savage xs

I do like the losi 1/10 statium truck but it seem they are 2wd. I also like the size of the MERV. I think is a good all rounder.
I won't be racing theres not even a track in my town.
What I do have in abundance is loose pebbles, dirt dirt rocks hard pack dirt and pebbles. There grass only at the community park. I do live in the desert if someone is wondering.

Are those truck good? From which one should I stay away? Did I miss another brand? I been out for a while.

Also which one would be more suitable for a 2yr old boy.
And another recommendation for a 6yr old boy. he live with plenty of grass around It be a gift.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Rookie

The mini 8ight is great i have owned a merv and a mini summit.

i would say that the losi is lot tougher.

if you want 1/10th scale get a losi scte they are a race sc but they are so strong they make a good basher.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Tech Rookie

That's really good information.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

If you do get another traxxas mini, you will be able to swap parts back and fourth.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Check out the Vaterra Kalahari....love'n mine!!!! (btw my son has a merv!!!)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Initiate

I would say that there isn't enough difference between the MERV and the Mini Summit to warrant getting both, so good call there.

I would stay away from the Tacon's simply because of parts availability. The original camber blocks on those are very weak, and the replacement upgraded one is better but sold out. Nitro RCX is the only USA parts source that I know of and they have crazy shipping prices on all parts orders as well.

The Savage XS is a little ball of insanity on 3s, however it is VERY difficult to work on due to it's chassis design. Also I think the MERV handles much better than the HPI.

So that would leave the Losi mini 8 and the Rival MT. Rival needs a steering link upgrade pretty much right out of the box, but after that it is a lot of fun. Having never owned the Losi, I can't say much about them.

Hope that helps you narrow the choice down.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys the losi mini does look nice can it use MERV style wheels?
That vaterra kalahari look nice also, How would it compare to the MERV
Old 11-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Initiate

The merv wheels will not work on the mini8 or the Kalahari....sorry. Just my opinion here but the Kalahari jumps sooooo nice!!! The merv is a lil beast but definitely takes some skill to drive (and some tune'n on the suspension), all I've done to my Kalahari is change the shock oil (from 30wt to 40wt) and put some "mini pin" tires on it and I can keep up with my son and his merv (he's a better driver than me....damn video games!!! And his merv has a MMP esc!!!) And the price on the Kalahari is GREAT!!! Hope this helps!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
The merv wheels will not work on the mini8 or the Kalahari....sorry. Just my opinion here but the Kalahari jumps sooooo nice!!! The merv is a lil beast but definitely takes some skill to drive (and some tune'n on the suspension), all I've done to my Kalahari is change the shock oil (from 30wt to 40wt) and put some "mini pin" tires on it and I can keep up with my son and his merv (he's a better driver than me....damn video games!!! And his merv has a MMP esc!!!) And the price on the Kalahari is GREAT!!! Hope this helps!!!

Yesterday i putted the tallons on the mini8 without nothing that just screw the nut.... why do not work? because of the stock ESC/motor?

Put sway bars on the MERV and GPM shocks!!. All of your control problems go HOME! That's what heppen to me...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Oooopppps!!! Forgot the mini8's a arms are longer than the Kalahari....but the merv wheels will not work on the Kalahari, fronts rub the shocks when turn'n (just tried it out to make sure)