Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Caveman's mini 8ight project >

Caveman's mini 8ight project

Caveman's mini 8ight project

Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried heavier oil for indoor clay and hated the effects it had on handling and heavier springs are out of the question. My setup is as light as possible with all carbon, exotek chassis, ultra light scorpian 4600kv heli motor etc... so I opened up the holes in the pistons and went 5wt lighter on the rear fluid and traction is perfect. Also if you land perfectly on the down hill you will never bottom out, there's an art to it on this sketchy little buggy. Drop the car flat from a foot or so and keep playing with the fluid until you have no bounce back. Make sure you do it with your battery installed the entire time. The sway bars do make a nice difference, you can push it a lot harder before a traction roll will happen. Hope this helps some.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jstall7543 View Post
I tried heavier oil for indoor clay and hated the effects it had on handling and heavier springs are out of the question. My setup is as light as possible with all carbon, exotek chassis, ultra light scorpian 4600kv heli motor etc... so I opened up the holes in the pistons and went 5wt lighter on the rear fluid and traction is perfect. Also if you land perfectly on the down hill you will never bottom out, there's an art to it on this sketchy little buggy. Drop the car flat from a foot or so and keep playing with the fluid until you have no bounce back. Make sure you do it with your battery installed the entire time. The sway bars do make a nice difference, you can push it a lot harder before a traction roll will happen. Hope this helps some.
Well surely jumping is purely on user's punch on the throttle, but I have more issues on traction rolling when the indoor clay track is watered down. Coming off the downside and into a sharp turn doesn't give this buggy enough time to settle before making the turn. Might just get a little heavier weight oil to compensate for my fail landings and lowering ride height to prevent rolling.

I would have never thought I need to get sway bars, but how much is pushing a lot harder? I tend to slow down before turning and entering jumps purely due to the car rolling, if sway bars can solve this issue, I might just grab them asap.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good, Try the free stuff first then if you feel you still have a problem get the sway bars. You might try one degree camber also, that would help some.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mashimarowu View Post
I hardly mess with adjustments on cars, but when i do its usually only the ride height at the moment. I have a jump to downside and a 180 degree turn right after the downside which is where my mini tends to land, turn, and flip over.

I have a feeling what I need to do is lower my ride height, but should I do any adjustments to camber?

Also since I run indoor and outdoors, the jumps I make is very different on both, sometimes needing to punch throttle or do half throttle making my driving style change dramatically. Sometimes I may overshoot and have the chassis bottoming out. Whats the best way to deal with this? Putting heavier weight oil? If so does anyone know what stock oil is and what I should go up to?
I think it is too much body lean. You turn suddenly with forward momentum, the body leans, you get too much side grip with the front outside tire and the momentum carries the car over into a flip.

Best ways to reduce this is an anti-roll bar, heavier springs or possibly more spring preload. Be cautious with adding too much preload. Increasing ride height also increases center of gravity.

You could also compensate with your driving. If you begin the turn with a slide the loss of traction should prevent the flip or roll-over.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jstall7543 View Post
Sounds good, Try the free stuff first then if you feel you still have a problem get the sway bars. You might try one degree camber also, that would help some.
I should prob get a camber gauge also xD. But do I do 1 degree in or out? And do I do it to the front and rear? Trying to understand the camber stuff.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

1 degree in, tops of tires twords the chassis. This makes the track width a tiny bit wider and the tire tracks flatter when turning because of chassis lean.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow........it doesn't matter which size losi spur gear I use.......with a 3S lipo the mini-8 always goes like a rocket on wheels!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nitro Ace View Post
Wow........it doesn't matter which size losi spur gear I use.......with a 3S lipo the mini-8 always goes like a rocket on wheels!
does the standard drivetrain handle 3s ok?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jon9e View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzwR...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZxx...mcvklw&index=1

I have this VXL motor over an year, now on 1/10 buggy tires/rims! The outdrives were out on back, but since i puted the ligher ones from Losi, never saw them eated! The front outdrive is stock yet! So the drivetrain handle great at least for street racing or speed runs!
For bashing you must have a spur cover, otherwise she will be eated in the first pack! Mines last 6months without cover! But i do not bash!

just do that stuff on the video...
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jon9e View Post
I think it handles 3S just fine.......but I haven't had the car very long.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by targetingxmod View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzwR...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZxx...mcvklw&index=1

I have this VXL motor over an year, now on 1/10 buggy tires/rims! The outdrives were out on back, but since i puted the ligher ones from Losi, never saw them eated! The front outdrive is stock yet! So the drivetrain handle great at least for street racing or speed runs!
For bashing you must have a spur cover, otherwise she will be eated in the first pack! Mines last 6months without cover! But i do not bash!

just do that stuff on the video...
Nice videos! You have a huge place to run your car.......amazing speed!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

So someone on the thread said the shock oil is 20wt and when I contacted losi, they said its 40wt... and even in my b4.1 I only use around 30wt oil so if the rep from losi wrong?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Ya, 40wt is incorrect.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 PM
Tech Elite

Looks like caveman has abandoned this thread we should all go back to the mini 8ight official thread, that's what I'm going to do. See ya there.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Un subscribed.