Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Caveman's mini 8ight project >

Caveman's mini 8ight project

Caveman's mini 8ight project

Reply

Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
  #61  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by ubershaum View Post
That's not what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the info.
I did several runs tonight. Played with firm wear and timing. No doubt it runs best on v1.20. Even with the timing at 0 on v1.20 it runs better (more punch)than with the latest software at 20 degree timing.

According to castle the processing is not really programmed for 6 pole motors. It works, and it runs just fine. But other esc' s probably will work better.

So I will see how the HK ESC does when I get it in.

But I am happy now with the installation of the older firmware. Its got plenty.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
  #62  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
Nologicone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 427
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for all these info! LIKE!!!!
Nologicone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
  #63  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by Nologicone View Post
Thanks for all these info! LIKE!!!!
No problem at all. This is enjoyable.

Alright I now have tried about every single option on the micro or the sidewinder with the 6 pole scorpion. Here is what works best for power.

Firmware v1.20
No voltage cut off.
0 timing
Start up power makes no difference with my current battery.
Aggressive throttle curve.
Punch control disabled
100% forward power.

It runs very good. More torque than stock. Same top speed of course because same kV .

Stock motor, stock gearing on a 2s lipo, it would struggle to wheelie on a 4ft section of carpet.

Now with these new settings it hits the rear spoiler. So I k ow this .motor has more power. And that is with the start up power on low.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM
  #64  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

So if it would have been a direct drop in and worked with the stock ESC it would be a no brainer.

But unfortunately you have to run a different ESC. I believe a sidewinder 1/10 would handle 3s with this motor as well as a mamba micro pro possibly. What little I have run with a 3s its pretty crazy. Much more than stock on a 3s. And you should be able to get higher top speeds because of the taller gearing it will pull. But I will do speed runs later.

Also I believe I can get a 3.17mm shaft for the .motor that drops right in as these are completely rebuild able.

If you want more of a basher motor the hk2213-14 will be much more powerful if you don't mind running a 40amp ESC and good batteries. It still weighs less than the stock motor!

And there is a possibility that the stock ESC will run it?



Both motors will have a much smoother start up than stock, and definitely better than the vxl.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM
  #65  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
So if it would have been a direct drop in and worked with the stock ESC it would be a no brainer.

But unfortunately you have to run a different ESC. I believe a sidewinder 1/10 would handle 3s with this motor as well as a mamba micro pro possibly. What little I have run with a 3s its pretty crazy. Much more than stock on a 3s. And you should be able to get higher top speeds because of the taller gearing it will pull. But I will do speed runs later.

Also I believe I can get a 3.17mm shaft for the .motor that drops right in as these are completely rebuild able.

If you want more of a basher motor the hk2213-14 will be much more powerful if you don't mind running a 40amp ESC and good batteries. It still weighs less than the stock motor!

And there is a possibility that the stock ESC will run it?

Both motors will have a much smoother start up than stock, and definitely better than the vxl.
Castle ESC things:
-- Both Castle ESCs can handle the current draw of the smaller scorpion. The mini can only handle about 25A so it won't work on your basher scorpion motor. Advantage of the basher motor is that it's already got a 1/8" output, versus 2.3mm.
-- I'd not use a Castle ESC if I wanted to run 3S because 3S lipo puts you around 11,000 RPM over the Castle RPM limit (11.1*4,660 > 40,000).

I've found a few 0.5 mod 2.3mm pinions on HK. That type of pinion is REALLY hard to find. They only seem to go up to about 15T though (so if the 16/62 is nice, 15/58 is not terribly far away from that). 3.17mm shaft would be a coup since there are "tons" of 0.5mod 1/8th pinions. If you figure out that mod, definitely let me know; I'd do it in an instant.

The HK 45A car ESC doesn't look too bad. It's got pretty decent programmability for the price.
Features:
Full protection feature including low voltage, over-heat, throttle signal lost, startup
protection and self-check.
Compatible with sensorless brushless motor.
Excellent startup performance, linear and quick throttle response.
Supports highest motor speed 240,000RPM(2 poles), 80,000RPM(6 poles) and 40,000(12 poles).
Easy to configure with program card.
System can automatically detect throttle neutral point, and neutral range is adjustable.
Three work modes for different environments.
4 step reverse force adjustment
5 step start force adjustment.
3 step brake force adjustment
5 step drag brake force adjustment,
4 step initial brake force adjustment.

Specification:
Input voltage: 2-3S Lithium batteries / 4~12 Ni-xx
Cont. Current: 45A
BEC output: 2A/5V (Switch)
Size( length X width X high): 45x32x20mm
Weight: 60g

Last edited by ubershaum; 01-16-2013 at 06:21 AM.
ubershaum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 AM
  #66  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by ubershaum View Post
Both Castle ESCs can handle the current draw of the smaller scorpion. The mini can only handle about 25A so it won't work on your basher scorpion motor. Advantage of the basher motor is that it's already got a 1/8" output, versus 2.3mm.

I'd not use a Castle ESC if I wanted to run 3S because 3S lipo puts you around 11,000 RPM over the Castle RPM limit (11.1*4,660 > 40,000).

I've found a few 0.5 mod 2.3mm pinions on HK. That type of pinion is REALLY hard to find. They only seem to go up to about 15T though (so if the 16/62 is nice, 15/58 is not terribly far away from that). 3.17mm shaft would be a coup since there are "tons" of 0.5mod 1/8th pinions. If you figure out that mod, definitely let me know; I'd do it in an instant.
I have just drilled out the stock pinions, its easy.

However I believe the scorpion 4660 shaft is a 3.17 that is turned down. And the website sells a 3.17 shaft that is not turned down. So it should be just a drop in. I will call them today to confirm.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 AM
  #67  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Traxxas makes 2.3mm pinions in a 48p

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Gear_p/tra7041.htm
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
  #68  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
rustlererad3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: State College
Posts: 1,242
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hmmm interesting sad to see the castle esc doesn't give maximum performance
rustlererad3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM
  #69  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
I have just drilled out the stock pinions, its easy.

However I believe the scorpion 4660 shaft is a 3.17 that is turned down. And the website sells a 3.17 shaft that is not turned down. So it should be just a drop in. I will call them today to confirm.
I noticed that, too. It's probably what I'll be doing. I've got a bunch of old Novak 0.5mod 1/8" pinions for the three-80 motor on my RC18R-based project.

Aside from all of this motor rambling, how are you liking the rest of the project?
ubershaum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
  #70  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
rustlererad3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: State College
Posts: 1,242
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

We all love our mini 8ight projects
rustlererad3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
  #71  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by ubershaum View Post
I noticed that, too. It's probably what I'll be doing. I've got a bunch of old Novak 0.5mod 1/8" pinions for the three-80 motor on my RC18R-based project.

Aside from all of this motor rambling, how are you liking the rest of the project?
Pretty cool. I have nitride shock shafts/pinions/and j concept bar codes coming in tomorrow.

Tried out my new ESC settings with my new nano tech traxxas 2200 2s lipos. They are 40c and easily fit in the stock battery compartment.

Took it for a test run in the grass. One time it hooked and literally did a standing back flip. Wheelies almost effortlessly. The little scorpion has gobs of torque. Can't wait to run an 18t pinion and see if it still pulls it just as easily.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
  #72  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by ubershaum View Post
I noticed that, too. It's probably what I'll be doing. I've got a bunch of old Novak 0.5mod 1/8" pinions for the three-80 motor on my RC18R-based project.

Aside from all of this motor rambling, how are you liking the rest of the project?
Pretty cool. I have nitride shock shafts/pinions/and j concept bar codes coming in tomorrow.

Tried out my new ESC settings with my new nano tech traxxas 2200 2s lipos. They are 40c and easily fit in the stock battery compartment.

Took it for a test run in the grass. One time it hooked and literally did a standing back flip. Wheelies almost effortlessly in the grass with a 2s. The little scorpion has gobs of torque. Can't wait to run an 18t pinion and see if it still pulls it just as easily.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM
  #73  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
rustlererad3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: State College
Posts: 1,242
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

That's awesome those are te batteries I run
rustlererad3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
  #74  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 644
Default

Took a little video today of the mini 8ight scorpion. This was stock gearing with a 2s lipo with my grass tires on.

The motor will run 4s easy.....I can't even imagine! LOL

http://static.photobucket.com/player...xxas2slipo.mp4

<a href=http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/holycaveman/parts%20for%20sale/?action=view&current=mini8newmappingnewtraxxas2sli po.mp4 target=_blank><img src=http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/holycaveman/parts%20for%20sale/mini8newmappingnewtraxxas2slipo.mp4 border=0 alt=></a>

Last edited by holycaveman; 01-16-2013 at 08:49 PM.
holycaveman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM
  #75  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
rustlererad3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: State College
Posts: 1,242
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Yeah how insane do you think it would be on 4s
rustlererad3 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service