Turnigy karts.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 19_mustang_96 View Post
My buddy has one. works real good until it get smoked by a legend car on the carpet oval.
What are legends based on?

Not sure what you mean... My Harley worked good until it got smoked by my GSXR... oh, wait, it still worked fine (for Harley stuff).
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Man those things are tiny. It would be fun for the basement. How do they handle on the street and stuff?

Holy cow! I know I just said they are small, but 19cm long? That 7.5in

But with the right tires, I bet it would fly with my merv motor in it. That thing is almost direct drive by the looks of it (no tranny slowing it down).
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

I am seriously considering one of these things. My merv tires are almost bald and it is $20 a set and I need 4 sets. (onroad tires and track tires). So buy $80 tires for the merv, or a $40 go kart and throw in the electronics from the merv.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lets see some Vids of these things running
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver View Post
I am seriously considering one of these things. My merv tires are almost bald and it is $20 a set and I need 4 sets. (onroad tires and track tires). So buy $80 tires for the merv, or a $40 go kart and throw in the electronics from the merv.
I don't think you'll regret it. They are so light, they can't hurt your merv stuff.

I'm having fun modding T's kart. It picked up debris, and locked up, so while I had the motor apart, I clocked the endbell for 17.5* of advance. It has far more torque than it needs, stock, so this will trade a bit of that for more speed.

Originally Posted by jsu101 View Post
Lets see some Vids of these things running
It will happen. That tiny DVR is unbelievably tough. I got 2 cheap, and to see what they can take, I played drums with it as a stick (holding it by the keychain) on the edge of my steel desk for 1 min. It recorded the whole thing. No effect on it.

I'm figuring out a mount so we can ride along.
Attached Thumbnails Turnigy karts.-100_2504.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

I would like to see some vids that arent on the kart as well. That pic just shows me again how small they are. But it would be perfect for my unfinished basement in the winter or on really hot days.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

There's a guy in Canada who makes custom urethane racing tires for slot cars and minis. They work well for painted (latex) and plastic track... You could have a high traction track in your basement using nothing more than a paint roller.

I'm seriously thinking about painting a track on the loading dock here. These things are fun enough in small spaces... I could have two 100' straights.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ekd View Post
There's a guy in Canada who makes custom urethane racing tires for slot cars and minis. They work well for painted (latex) and plastic track... You could have a high traction track in your basement using nothing more than a paint roller.

I'm seriously thinking about painting a track on the loading dock here. These things are fun enough in small spaces... I could have two 100' straights.

Me as the driver and high traction just dont go together unless I am trying to make a huge jump or something. My LHS just set up an outdoor offroad carpet track. I was doing wheelies down the straight with my blitz. I wouldnt want carpet tires, my stock ones had too much traction. But I havent done anything with on road cars before, and my blitz and merv have a tenancy to roll at speed if they have traction.

I think I would want to drift it a bit around turns and have fun with it rather than going for the fastest lap time. After I get a new end bell for my 1410 motor and a new rear end for my blitz, I think that this thing is next in line.

I showed my friend and he was like, "thats so stupid" and my brother just said, "gay". But I dont care what they say, I think it is cool and will be a lot of fun for in the basement and to bring on trips and stuff.

I think I would get a bunch of pvc and connectors and just make a pvc track in the basement.

I know it doesnt have much for suspension (if anything) but do you think it could handle using like a binder as a jump? Probably a 1 or 1.5in?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver View Post
Me as the driver and high traction just dont go together unless I am trying to make a huge jump or something. My LHS just set up an outdoor offroad carpet track. I was doing wheelies down the straight with my blitz. I wouldnt want carpet tires, my stock ones had too much traction. But I havent done anything with on road cars before, and my blitz and merv have a tenancy to roll at speed if they have traction.

I think I would want to drift it a bit around turns and have fun with it rather than going for the fastest lap time. After I get a new end bell for my 1410 motor and a new rear end for my blitz, I think that this thing is next in line.

I showed my friend and he was like, "thats so stupid" and my brother just said, "gay". But I dont care what they say, I think it is cool and will be a lot of fun for in the basement and to bring on trips and stuff.

I think I would get a bunch of pvc and connectors and just make a pvc track in the basement.

I know it doesnt have much for suspension (if anything) but do you think it could handle using like a binder as a jump? Probably a 1 or 1.5in?
Some people think slotcars are stupid, too... until they see a wing car do a 155', 9 turn lap in way under 2 secs.

Tuned flex is the only suspension, and I have never flipped this. It spins, or drifts. There is 5-6mm of ground clearance, a marble would make it jump. If you are hooked on air, these aren't for you. They are like comparing a scalpel to a machete when coming from offroad.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

A good size comparison @ 0:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Veza...eature=related
Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ekd View Post
Some people think slotcars are stupid, too... until they see a wing car do a 155', 9 turn lap in way under 2 secs.

Tuned flex is the only suspension, and I have never flipped this. It spins, or drifts. There is 5-6mm of ground clearance, a marble would make it jump. If you are hooked on air, these aren't for you. They are like comparing a scalpel to a machete when coming from offroad.
Just curious, could make it a little more interesting. I just tuned my blitz to jump like a 1/8th scale buggy (jumps far and is controllable in the air). So no issues needing this to jump, I have the blitz for that.

Lol, already drawing a design on my computer on how the track could be set up.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

These do seem pretty fun to drive around on carpet, though. Small things.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

I got a chance to try out the advanced motor, and it made a huge difference... The kart doesn't weigh enough that the reduced torque means a thing, and the top end is unusable on the dock. Pulling into the last half of the trigger puts it into a spin. Every time, no matter the speed.

I can understand why 2s is all you see in these.

Reverse is (by ear) about 60% of the rpm of forward. This thing got fast. It needs good tires before anything else. I'm liking where this is going, I can't wait to get the BL rig and the rest of the fleet. I ordered 4 more... 6 in all, so I could do something rarely affordable in this hobby... when one of these is developed into a good rig, I won't have to ruin it just to try the next idea. That fact alone makes it easy for me to take my time on mods... I'll be enjoying them for a while. And, there's a lot to try here.

It amazes me... for the price of 2 simple pieces of aluminum... Axial C-hubs, for example... you can get a CF and aluminum race car.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Think I convinced my friend that he needs to pull the electronics from his mini slash and put them in one of these little karts. Then we can race around our basements on hot or cold days. Plus he has been bugging me to get into on road. I think this is close enough. Might get one for my little bro for christmas or something.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

An RC Christmas. I have a feeling quite a few of these will be winding tinsel up in their axles this year.

I tried 2s in T's... it still moves along, but it becomes quite civil at 6.4V.

Nerdy, what kind of electronics does your merv run?
Attached Thumbnails Turnigy karts.-100_2506.jpg   Turnigy karts.-100_2509.jpg   Turnigy karts.-100_2510.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service