Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turnigy karts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

The mini is a kit at $38. So does it come like a bunch of screws in one bag, parts in others? Or parts with the needed screws? How is the manual for putting it together?

This will be my first kit for rc. I have done other kits (normally for school things) and I have seen some pretty bad manuals. Or even things like grills and patio sets sometimes have terrible instructions. I was helping my grandpa install a ceiling fan in my parents bedroom (no space meant for one) so he was doing electrical when I put the fan together. I followed the manual and it was going good. Then it went to a step where you had to take it apart almost to the beginning again. After we installed the fan and got it working, I wanted to burn that stupid manual.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is no manual. It comes assembled, but it's never a bad idea to check it. I'm treating these as full kits... pulling them down, and then using loctite and careful torque. I pretty much do that to all my stuff... RTR included.

You get spare screws with it.

That turnigy ESC seems to be working out for me in the DD. What's the rating on the merv's?

That 5200kv will make a kart fly.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ekd
There is no manual. It comes assembled, but it's never a bad idea to check it. I'm treating these as full kits... pulling them down, and then using loctite and careful torque. I pretty much do that to all my stuff... RTR included.

You get spare screws with it.

That turnigy ESC seems to be working out for me in the DD. What's the rating on the merv's?

That 5200kv will make a kart fly.
I have no idea what the rating is on the merv esc. But it has to be pretty high for its size. Maybe 45-60amps.

Oh man, I was like right there. Tower hobbies says 52 amps continuous.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXKM3&P=ML

Oh, so their 'kit' is actually a roller. Sweet! I will probably go through with thread locker as well.

We will have to see how that goes with the 5200kv. I know he has a stock brushed system (380 sized motor) from the traxxas mini slash. That would probably be ok in this as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

If you get me the esc dimensions, I'll measure up the tray for you.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

That 380 brushed, on 2s, will be a ton of cheap fun. You can't lose with these. They are so light, they perform with even tiny motors. I never come close to using the last half of the trigger (4300kv), and I have never been able to even feel warmth from the electronics.

I have been busy, but will get to the 360 brushed rig soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a good balance.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

I have some old brushed esc's lying around too. I am not too concerned about making them fit. The traxxas mini esc's are about 5cm by 2cm really roughly. I didnt feel like taking it out of the car to get exact measurements.

I might do the brushed set up. I know he has that just lying around and would probably sell it pretty cheap.

I will order the kart when I get home from work. When it gets here I will either borrow the bl motor and brushed system or go to his house and play around with them. He has been wanting to get into on road stuff, maybe I could convince him we should both get 1/4 karts in the spring.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Sounds like a plan.

Welcome to a very (apparently) exclusive club.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Have you asked around on ultimate rc? I would, but I am banned from there.

There almost has to be someone there who has one. I know there were a few threads about the 1/4 ones.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:12 AM
ekd
Tech Elite

Banned? I'm starting to like you, nerdy!

No, I haven't been there. The place reminds me of the kid's table at a party... lots of noise, but not a lot getting done.

The kid is coming today to get his 1/4. His dad told him they have to build it first, so we are going to cut a nose, and through bolt it like I did the DM. This will be a fun day.

Planning your track yet?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ekd
Banned? I'm starting to like you, nerdy!

No, I haven't been there. The place reminds me of the kid's table at a party... lots of noise, but not a lot getting done.

The kid is coming today to get his 1/4. His dad told him they have to build it first, so we are going to cut a nose, and through bolt it like I did the DM. This will be a fun day.

Planning your track yet?
Not planning a track yet. but after I order it when I get home from work (man, I keep saying that. I havent even gone to work yet) I will start cleaning the basement. Lots of tools and materials kind of scattered around. You know when you make something and you are so excited to test it you forget to clean up? That happens to me just about every time I do something unless it is in my bedroom. Then I clean it up.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

All right, back from work. I will probably order it soon.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

If I may suggest? Get a shorter saver/arm coming soon. You'll see why in the first few mins. I can't fully describe the difference it makes... huge is an understatement.

Can't wait to see your reaction to it! Post all your thoughts?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ekd
The place reminds me of the kid's table at a party... lots of noise, but not a lot getting done.
Exactly. That place is overrun by broke kids making thread after thread of what RC or upgrades to get, then 6 pages later they mention they have to wait for christmas or their birthday.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Huggy Bear
Exactly. That place is overrun by broke kids making thread after thread of what RC or upgrades to get, then 6 pages later they mention they have to wait for christmas or their birthday.

I do have to say, though... when I got started in RC, I was given some important handling clues from those guys that cemented a growing suspicion of mine: These things could remain interesting for more than a few packs.

It looks like my minis will all be getting the hard nose. It works. And, I got tired of my driver bailing every time things got scary, so I put a screw where the sun don't shine.

I'm debating whether to make a servo clamp that incorporates a "dashboard" so the wheel can be mounted to it. We'll see.
Attached Thumbnails Turnigy karts.-100_2757.jpg   Turnigy karts.-100_2758.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Huggy Bear
why do you keep getting banned? If you dont mind mentioning, you can shoot me a pm if you want.

Anyway, about to order it. Is hobbyking even open on the weekend to ship it? Even with labor day coming up. Anyway, I just learned today that since I work labor day (a holiday) I get paid 1.5x what my normal pay is per hour. So I get 12.375 per hour I work on labor day. Too bad I only got a 4.5hr shift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.