Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so then what would you spec out for the mini 8ight in the scorpion motor now
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nologicone
Nice. It's good to see posts like these because that was how I started to read up on electronic fundamentals to understand stuffs like this. I'm still learning.

So let me tap on your knowledge respectfully. How did you determine the stock Losi ESC is able to handle 4s as long as we use an UBEC? For the life of me, I go with specs and it is stated the Xcelorin ESC is rated 3s max.

Thanks in advance.

I guess the deal with outrunners is probably the spinning can deal because surface vehicles can tumble, cartwheel, land big jumps but keep going. Planes/heli usually don't do that much movement in terms of chassis flex except for 3D flying helis.
Well we know that the stock esc is rated for 3s and 32amps constant. What we need to focus on is the amps. Not the volts. When they build their esc they built this one with an internal bec that is rated at 3s. So in other words if you run a 4s lipo you will most likely blow out the bec in the esc. What we do to override the 3s rating is to run an external bec. Like a castle bec. Its rated up to like 6s lipo. Now when we plug the 4s battery into the esc because we are running an external bec the internal one in the esc is bypassed.
Now all we care about is our amp rating. So we can even run 5s lipo or a 6s as long as we dont' over amp the esc, or cause too much heat, voltage no longer matters..
I have been doing this for the last few years. And it works 100% of the time to my knowledge.

In other words an esc's voltage rating is determined by the internal bec. The other part of the esc is regulated by amperage.

Last edited by holycaveman; 01-01-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

im still waiting to see the motor you pick i want that scorpion we first talked about
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rustlererad3
im still waiting to see the motor you pick i want that scorpion we first talked about

LOL That first motor would probably tear the gears right out of the losi unless you made certain your slipper was working properly.

Have to do some more math. But I will post up which one I pick and for what reasons.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

guys I am going to put my motor talk over in the motor thread. Just makes more sense?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

im running a cm2668 and tekin mini rage and this thing is insanely fast on 2s. i been running indoor carpet offroad track and it is fast . trying to get the heat issue worked out . the motor never goes over 140 but the rage has been up too 176 180 . but thats running for 15 20 mins maybe longer . not sure what the thermal is on the esc . i got a vxl motor but think its def to heavy for the track . the cm2668 is probably to much for clay .
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Got mine in the for sale section, going to try the tacon to see how I like it.

Here is a link http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...hopped-up.html
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vw addict
Exotech, out of stock for now....
I have that gear cover / top plate set as well. It does not provide as as much protection from debris as the DP, but I do like the Exotek set fully braces the chassis connecting front and rear gear cases.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

OK, guys, we had a New Year's Day fun race so I took my M8. I was the only one running one and since I was also racing my XXX-SCT they let me run the M8 in the novice class. It's an indoor clay track built for 1/10 and 1/8 scale. It does pretty well but it traction rolls a lot and gets upset easily in the bumps so I have a few questions.

1. What is a good stable set up for offroad?

2. Are there any good gear upgrades out?
I am eating spurs and run 1/10 pinions on a Tacon motor.

3. Any tricks for keeping the slipper from working loose?

4. Hasn't it been posted before that 4x4 1/10 scale buggy front tires work for all for on the M8?

5. The promo pics for the Kaboom body shows 4 rear M8 tires on tc wheels correct?

6. My M8 is a year old and pretty beat on. Is it even worth spending money on?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

its always worth upgrading the mini 8ight and i have never heard that all 4x4 1/10 scale buggy tires work and you need a hardened spur to go with the pinions then
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

The 4x4 buggy front tires work all round on the mini 8ight with the delrin rims from drivin productions! I just received mine in the mail today when I got home from work they fit well with no rubbing or scrubbing
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nologicone
Ok, since you mention speed, I'll assume you're running 3s. Here's some simple calculations to compare the Losi & Trax motors.

Losi Xcelorin: 4500Kv x 11.1V = 49950rpm.

Trax Velineon: 4000Kv x 11.1V = 44400rpm.

Stock gearing: 16/58

So normally I use this to multiple the RPM of the stock motor to get a variable. (49950 x 16)/58 = 13779.3103.

Working my way towards the pinion for the Trax Velineon to match the Losi Xcelorin = (13779.3103/44400) x 58 = 18T.

So there you go...to be as fast as stock, 18T. You will also see less heat on the motor. Go above 18T, you will experience an increase in top speed. Even if you keep it at 18T, it will seems "faster" because it has more punch at the low end. To some owners, this is more important as better acceleration is enough for them to lower their laptimes.

The only thing is the ESC. You may gear up, and the motor should not break a sweat but the ESC is actually working harder because it is pushing a bigger motor now. EZrun 35A or 60A would be a gd upgrade. Remove the fan and vent the body a little, you're set to go. Or going to a 1/10 Sidewinder V1 or V2 would be better.

You really need an infra-red temp sensor to effectively setup your electronics.

Hope this helps.
Will this formula work still with 2s? I'm using black magic 2200mah 30c batteries
Or should I use 3s ?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

yes it will still work
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by oz mini8
Will this formula work still with 2s? I'm using black magic 2200mah 30c batteries
Or should I use 3s ?
Instead of the 11.1 voltage you have to figure 7.4 for the 2s.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by holycaveman
Well we know that the stock esc is rated for 3s and 32amps constant. What we need to focus on is the amps. Not the volts. When they build their esc they built this one with an internal bec that is rated at 3s. So in other words if you run a 4s lipo you will most likely blow out the bec in the esc. What we do to override the 3s rating is to run an external bec. Like a castle bec. Its rated up to like 6s lipo. Now when we plug the 4s battery into the esc because we are running an external bec the internal one in the esc is bypassed.
Now all we care about is our amp rating. So we can even run 5s lipo or a 6s as long as we dont' over amp the esc, or cause too much heat, voltage no longer matters..
I have been doing this for the last few years. And it works 100% of the time to my knowledge.

In other words an esc's voltage rating is determined by the internal bec. The other part of the esc is regulated by amperage.
Thanks a lot for the info and experience. Great way to start a new year with knowledge like this!

FWIW, I only knew an UBEC helps relief heat because the ESC no longer double duty as a controller and BEC, and in the case of HW ESC, when it LVC, it totally cuts off everything including the BEC therefore an UBEC helps ensure at least servo controls. Plus HW UBEC are cheap and effective, capable of up to 6s.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.