Wiki Posts
Search

MINI T Build.... MUST SEE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default MINI T Build.... MUST SEE!!!

First I wanted to thank IH8VTEC he has givin me the drive and inspiration to do this build thread. Please take the time to read through his build and show him some love! http://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mi...ld-thread.html

So it all starts with a Team LOSI Mini T.... This is the 2WD Truck in the 1/18 scale. I received this model from a local trade from a guy on Craigslist. I had traded my Blade CX2 Helicopter for this RTR model with the original box. After looking at the truck at my house I noticed it had alum rear hubs and all the turnbuckles were upgraded. Figured I got a nice trade considering it had original box and all including some of these upgrades.

I was driving the Truck for about 15 minutes when I noticed the battery was flopping around. After taking off the body it was the brace above the servo was broken so the top plate was not secure causing the battery to be able to move around. I needed to fix this Immediately so I went online and started doing research! I have had a few r/c cars but never did a lot of aluminum upgrades, so when I found this kit I was totally excited. My friend spent almost 2 thousand dollars to make his truck full Alloy.. when I saw that I could do this to mine for a fraction of the price I had to find a way....

This is the Integy Evo X kit. Retail is 129.99 I searched all over for a better price, after a week I found my deal.... The LHS had this kit and it was CAKED with dust. After talking to the owner he said the kit was received on accident and was just sitting on the shelf. Long story short I picked up this Kit for $50!! Dealer Cost on the kit is 79.99. So I took all the last pennys I had and took this beautiful kit home! I did not open this kit for at least 6 weeks after owning it.

I needed some organization so I found a local member Latrodectus27 with an extra tackle box. This turned out perfect for what I needed.

So the BUILD starts.... But First I needed to PURCHASE a couple of items first. I went out and bought a complete Hinge Pin kit... I also had to buy 2 yes 2 PACKS of the small E Clips. Be careful these lil buggars are Super easy to get lost and fling into space never to be found again! After all was said and done and after I ripped a couple e clips from the stock kit I was left with 1 extra Eclip! lol.... just make sure to take your time and be careful. I had to take 2 days because I just had to stop after a while. Also I needed to pick up some BALL STUDS... this was because the hex heads strip out SUPER easy so I could not remove any from the original truck. Another Item I had to buy was the COMPLETE screw Kit... As many know already the screws in these kits are not the best, infact I believe they suck and have many times cursed the 1/18 screw gods.... I am used to working on 1/10 scale and use normal sized tools and not too used to these baby sized tools... lol... I figured if I am doing all these upgrades I might as well do EVERYTHING.... so i ordered the Integy CVD kit....
Next then on the list would have to be the ball diff. After runing the vehicle and breaking the brace I also noticed the truck was making a VERY loud noise like a baseball card in your bike spoke type noise. I looked at all the gears inside the case and all looked well but it gave me an excuse to upgrade to the LOSI BALL DIFF.... I was going to get the kit but it cost more and would require me to do more building with TINY parts... i saw for about 5 more dollars they had a titanium one with the white gears. Not too sure if its worth the extra 5 so I passed....
Shocks were another big item that needed to be upgraded so I picked up a set off of e-bay for a nice price.

Next I needed some batteries... I want to upgrade to LIPO's and eventually a brushless setup... after looking and looking I found a GREAT deal on LIPO's... once again IH8VTEC saves the day... ended up selling me 3 2S LIPO's Brand new at a Steal of a deal and they already had the deans on them.
As far as radio I will be using my Flysky GT3B so as far as the electronic side I just need to choose my BL setup and a new Servo as my HS55 burnt up on me....

So I started tearing up the old truck and using what parts I could. The main Item I needed from the stock truck was the front axles.. I forgot to purchase new ones so I had to take them off the old and put them on the new... I also check all the bearings and it seemed that none were seized or grinding all seemed to have smooth movement, so I reused all them from the tranny and from the wheels....

Another part came in the mail... LOSI Dual Slipper Clutch

I started with the arms and assembleing them. Here are the Arms competed...

Next was the towers, I added the ball studs and the shocks to them... as you see my front tower has A RED piece.... this is because the EVO X kit does not come with the front UPPER or LOWER bulkheads. Again IH8VTEC had an extra piece and mailed me the Upper piece....

After this I started assembling the gear case put in all the bearings and my new slipper clutch. Cool thing about it is that it has a clear diff case! Here is a nice pic showing the BLUE CVD's....
And the LAST 2 pictures are the current status of the vehicle... i will update this as I do more work! Feel free to ask any questions and show your love or express the hate.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you ever want advice on how to make the Mini-T into a bombproof machine, pm me...

Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Addict

Finally received the last piece that I needed in the mail today!

Finally finished putting everything together.... that darn last piece really didnt want to fit correctly but after a lil muscle I got everything to fit pretty much flush...... seems like it made the stance a lil more agressive.... I HAD to change the front end toe and camber as well as the steering arm.... after putting the metal in it all of these changed.... I thought that was kind of weird being that everything was sopost to be the same but maybe there are some slight differences btwn the two. Here are some pics of full assemble...

I also ordered my Brushless system... went with the TORO 4 POLE 5050 kit.... should be here in a few days and I cant wait to put that in! Keep your eyes open!

I am going to get a new body and am develping what I want to do with it. Im not going to give any details yet but also another thing to look for!! Will look better than this Red body... lol...
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Tech Master

Don't mean to be rude but it's just another mega hopped up Mini T like I've seen hundreds. What did you actually invent on this ? Seems to me the hardest part was just buying- I could do that.

Now impress us with something not everyone can do.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by heretic
Don't mean to be rude but it's just another mega hopped up Mini T like I've seen hundreds. What did you actually invent on this ? Seems to me the hardest part was just buying- I could do that.

Now impress us with something not everyone can do.
Well sorry Im not exciting to you! LOL!.... no worries.... there is nothing special I guess... you may have seen hundreds but I only saw like 1 or 2 that were hopped up this much so I thought that I would do one.... and try to throw up a lot of pictures. What did I invent? Not a daymn thing.... lol... I didnt see much people having over $200 of upgrades on a $100 car...

You want invent talk to cowboy.... daymn he has some nice inventions...
And yes one of the hardest parts is spending the money to BUY the parts.... lol...
Adain sorry I didn't Excite you!! LOL!!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like all the bling

I'd be interested to see how all the aluminum hop ups hold up to real world bashing, let us know how it works out.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Subscription...added.. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

I like it. I'm building a mini-t at the moment too, but i went a different way to TIZAO, i just upgraded a few parts to alu, put a few carbon fibre braces on, fitted 1/10 TC etc. I believe in the 'sacrificial lamb' principle - plastic wishbones etc, also i think too much bling is a little vulgar, but personal tastes. TIZAO is proud of his T and so he should be it looks like a nice build. Mine is my first proper build in around 15 years so i'm pretty proud of mine too.

I started with a mini-T pro roller, and have got to about the same stage TIZAO has with his - chassis finished, awaiting electronics. I think these cars still have a lot to offer, and are a bit of a tweaker's dream compared to the olden days.

heretic actually does make a good point there if you look hard enough. because the T has been around so long, it takes more to impress some builders. I suggest you make him eat his words (all in good fun not personal attack) by designing a mid motor conversion or something like that, tizao. That would be seriously cool

that t must weigh a ton probably as much as mine will when i get all the extra electronics i've planned in there
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skree
I like it. I'm building a mini-t at the moment too, but i went a different way to TIZAO, i just upgraded a few parts to alu, put a few carbon fibre braces on, fitted 1/10 TC etc. I believe in the 'sacrificial lamb' principle - plastic wishbones etc, also i think too much bling is a little vulgar, but personal tastes. TIZAO is proud of his T and so he should be it looks like a nice build. Mine is my first proper build in around 15 years so i'm pretty proud of mine too.

I started with a mini-T pro roller, and have got to about the same stage TIZAO has with his - chassis finished, awaiting electronics. I think these cars still have a lot to offer, and are a bit of a tweaker's dream compared to the olden days.

heretic actually does make a good point there if you look hard enough. because the T has been around so long, it takes more to impress some builders. I suggest you make him eat his words (all in good fun not personal attack) by designing a mid motor conversion or something like that, tizao. That would be seriously cool

that t must weigh a ton probably as much as mine will when i get all the extra electronics i've planned in there
Deff understand what you mean with the sac lamb comment... had I of actually had to pay retail or even close to cost on these parts I would of done it different too....

Heretic does make a good point and maybe I got a lil excited on the title... I guess I didnt really think of how old the car really is... I remember the about of Dust Collecting on the Evo X kit when i picked it up lol.... Mid motor eH? lol

Yes very heavy... deff cant make it through a lot of grass like the lighter stock setup... Cant wait to see yours when your done.....

Workin on an update now....
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

yeah i got some super cheap deals on bits for mine too. believe it or not my t-pro roller cost 75$ new.. so i bought 2. I figure i got a before and after pic & a parts car lol

those damn eclips. I bought a pack with my first set of mod parts thinking i'll maybe lose or damage 2 or 3.. They dont come off without flying off or being so deformed they dont even look like eclips anymore unless you're lucky and have loads of access like when you take the 2nd one off a hinge pin.. next order i bought 40 eclips in total next time i take one off i'm going to try tweezers

if anything the age of the car makes it better.. i bet there's a couple of guys reading this thinking 'i had one of those like 5 years ago' . Also, cheap parts, easy builds, availability of parts.. It's hard to justify spending hundreds on a mini-t when you can buy a brushless carisma GT14b RTR.. i kinda wish i'd known about that car a few months sooner. That being said i enjoy the build as much as the drive and we'd probably end up spending hundreds on the carisma anyway

look forward to your update
Old 08-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

OMG dont even get me started on those Eclips.... lol... lets just say... I am a normal sized ecllip expert after dealing with those little guys...

So look what came in the mail today....

Got my charger for my Lipo's, a new servo so i can get rid of that daymn 4wire and I recieved my BL setup.... Its a 4 pole 5050 kit from toro.... The install was super easy the only modding I had to do in order to make it work was a lil modding of the Stock motor plate with my dremel and then after enlarging the adj hole a little I had to find a washer to spread out the locking pressure.

I totally wasnt thinking when I ordered the BL setup and forgot to get a pinion... made a couple of calls to look for a 15t and or a 16t but all I could find was this 14T

Here are some shots with EVERYTHING installed minus the lipo.... Everything fits sugly.. and used some zip ties to clean up some things...

Well charged up the lipos and wow...... I really like BL... the sound is so much cooler than brushed. This is my first BL conv and deff not my last! One interesting thing is it seems like I get a little MORE punch after a minute or so of driving... I say this because the truck wont pull a wheelie fresh after charge. It seems like the power comes on later and I love it! Seeing this thing pull a wheelie is pretty sic. I did have one incident when the car decided to flip darn near full speed going end over end over end over end at least 8 times but luckly the only damage was the steering cup popped off.

After a little more running 2 of the ball studs backed their way out of the metal... guess I should of used thread lock. So as the pieces come out they will go back in with a lil med strength...

Well the whole car was shinny blue underneath untill one battery.... take a look at the damage... its an even silver stripe so not much gripe here... didnt even think about the bad things that can happen with that front end going into the air! LOL!!

So the slipper clutch seems to be working, Every time I hit full throttle i hear this spinning/grinding sound... I thought I was breaking something or the spur was grinding.... but after inspection I believe its just the slipper working....I need to tighten it up a little bit to see if I can get more power to the ground... as if there wasnt enough power look at my tires after just 3 batteries....

You can probably see the wear a little better in the above pics fully assembled... yea they are now BALD! And thats why I have my WTB thread for tires! LOL!

Well over all I am satisfied.... I still have to change some items like camber and toe... but thats all with more testing....

Till the next time!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What's the specs on the motor/ESC combo you got?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Coner
What's the specs on the motor/ESC combo you got?
shaft length:12mm
shaft diameter: 1.9mm

ESC Specification:
Controls, Toro Micro Forward/ Backward/ Reverse
Input Power (Cells) 2-3s LiPo, 4-41 NiCd/NiMH
Brake Proportional
On Resistance, Brushless 0.002 Ohm Per Phase
Continuous / Burst Current 25 Amp / 90 Amp
Status LED 5 Volts, 1 Amp
Status LED 1 with 3 color (Red, Green, & Orange)
Thermal Overload Protection Yes
Dimensions ( LxWxH) 30*26.1*13.8mm (1.18*1.03*0541 inches)
Weight 26g (0.92oz)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Nice. I like it. Which motor KV and poles did you get? the 4 pole one looks mad.

How do you like that toro esc combo? i've pretty much decided to buy one with the 5200kv tacon motor to run 3s, they look cool and a LOT cheaper than the mamba i was going to get.

might have a solution for the servo saver for ya, but you'll have to wait a bit till i get my MG90 - the metal gear version of your servo.. got a feeling they'll be good with a saver on them. got a few other mods in mind too if i get round to it..

You got lipo for that? how'd you find a lipo that fits? none of the 3s ones i've been able to find above 850ma fit under the battery strap.. i'm going to mount a 1550 or 1750 rhino (or a corresponding nanotech) 3s on top of the battery strap with the esc/rx/gyro where the battery should be
Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skree
Nice. I like it. Which motor KV and poles did you get? the 4 pole one looks mad.

How do you like that toro esc combo? i've pretty much decided to buy one with the 5200kv tacon motor to run 3s, they look cool and a LOT cheaper than the mamba i was going to get.

might have a solution for the servo saver for ya, but you'll have to wait a bit till i get my MG90 - the metal gear version of your servo.. got a feeling they'll be good with a saver on them. got a few other mods in mind too if i get round to it..

You got lipo for that? how'd you find a lipo that fits? none of the 3s ones i've been able to find above 850ma fit under the battery strap.. i'm going to mount a 1550 or 1750 rhino (or a corresponding nanotech) 3s on top of the battery strap with the esc/rx/gyro where the battery should be
Must of missed it.. but I got a 4 pole 5050kv.... I like it... but I am not sure if my slipper is really too tight or if it BURNED up my ball diff.... when I first got the diff and turned one wheel i could feel lil clicking type action.... now when I turn one wheel its smooth as silk..... ANYONE know if thats a dead diff???

The screeching from the slipper is madd and once I get new tires I will deff get it tighter....

After a day I burned through my last set of tires so I am sourcing some new ones... possibly some foams....

I only have a 2S lipo in it.... if you want to go 3s you mount it above and put all the electronics below... IF THEY FIT! I have the gt3b so the recievers are PLENTY small....

The servo has still been working even though I have no saver and I did have one sizeable crash scared me at first but everything checked out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.