R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales

Old 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default WARNING !!! Hobbypartz TACON mini motors.

Anyone thinking of buying a Tacon mini motor from Hobbypartz.com think again. I bought one for my sons rc18b and assoon as I hooked it up and turned on the power switch my brand new CC sidewinder micro went up in flames "literally" ! I used the esc with two other motors before the Tacon and it was fine, but when I hooked it up to the tacon motor it burst into flames. I tried writing a reveiw of it on their website and they would not publish it. They only publish positive reviews of the products they sell. Just because the reviews of something are good donesn't mean the product is good. The motor was only$10 plus shipping so to pay shipping on it to get my money back would be futile. I hope this post helps. Thanks.
slashbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

How do we know you don't work for Castle and are just bashing tacons reputation?
leerjet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCaddict0
Default Well.....

This is how Im gonna take this.......
You got a bunk motor or your ESC failed. Thats it. No matter what brand something is. Whether it be Tekin, Castle, Ezrun, Novak or Tacon, you'll get a few bad ones outta the thousands that are mass produced. I mean even with QC which even the cheapest of companies have some bad ones will make it to the sales floor. Ive owned several Tacons. A 2030, 2848XL and about three 3650's. They all have ran flawlessly. Actually WAY better than I expected from them. My nieghbor has one now that I bought over a year ago. It has at least 300/400+ runs now. He only has the Rustly VXL and runs it almost daily, sometimes several times a day. This motor has seen every season, extreme voltage, has been way overgeared, heated to 230+ degrees a few times and he even spray painted the can blue to match his RPM and alum! It still runs perfectly and doesnt overheat when geared normally on 2s or 3s. Im being completely honest here. You cant find a better motor for your money. Im not saying there arent a few bad apples out there. Im 100% shure theres several. Just as Ive bought Castle combos that failed or had issues right outta the box. I read about Novaks having issue alot to. But neither are junk. I bought about a dozen Hobbyking lipos and I just bought a pair of 4000mAh 2s hardcases to have one fail on the 31st day I had it on its third use! I was jacked to put it lightly. The paper thin tin tab thing that comes outta the cell and goes to the green board broke and HK wouldnt replace it as I owned it for 31 days. That was def. a junk pack! The Maxx took a roll and the truck died and the lipo was done. Im not gonna say that Zippy, Turnigy and Rhino lipos are no good. THERE GREAT! Just a bad one. But for the really low price Ive payed for these packs over time Im not that mad now. Even with a loss I got a great deal over all in the end. But buy another. It will be great and run forever! $25 well spent for the two to have the one that tears it up!
RCaddict0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Unfortunately some companies screen reviews. Fortunately forums like this do not so you are welcome to post your results, good or bad. I know it is frustrating to get a bad product, especially if it causes you other headaches besides just the faulty product itself. But this is actually the first bad Tacon review I have seen, among many great reviews and my own experiences. Not to mention that this seems like a very strange problem. Maybe you would like to share some more information, like pictures of your setup? What type of battery connectors and batteries do you use?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
Unfortunately some companies screen reviews. Fortunately forums like this do not so you are welcome to post your results, good or bad. I know it is frustrating to get a bad product, especially if it causes you other headaches besides just the faulty product itself. But this is actually the first bad Tacon review I have seen, among many great reviews and my own experiences. Not to mention that this seems like a very strange problem. Maybe you would like to share some more information, like pictures of your setup? What type of battery connectors and batteries do you use?
Theres a few reviews, one that I can think of thats been censored! But Tacon wont be one that is. lol... It very well could have been a ESC failure. But could have been a motor failure too.
Good Luck buddy, and I do understand your anger. I would be pissed too!
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
The mods here filter what they want.... Have you seen the maxamps threads? lol

To the OP did you cut the motor wires at all?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440swinger-kid View Post

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH................Your gonna get in trouble man! You can talk about M&^$%^ ! LMAO
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

My opinion- you put a cheap motor on a expensive esc, what did you expect to happen lol.
faze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCaddict0 View Post
Theres a few reviews, one that I can think of thats been censored! But Tacon wont be one that is. lol... It very well could have been a ESC failure. But could have been a motor failure too.
Good Luck buddy, and I do understand your anger. I would be pissed too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440swinger-kid View Post

I have not been happy with some of the moderation here lately myself, and I totally agree with calling out Maxamps because I think what they are doing is hurting the hobby more than helping. But to be fair to the mods, those threads get out of hand quick with people arguing and flaming each other. The question you (RCaddict0) posted in the official manufacturers section I thought was legitimate, but it did not take long for the masses to find it and use it to start flaming.

But back to the subject now.......

Was the ESC brand new, or have you previously used it on two other motors? How long did you use it on these other motors and what were they?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faze View Post
My opinion- you put a cheap motor on a expensive esc, what did you expect to happen lol.
Sorry but that's just an ignorant statement. I run tacon motors with castle esc's. Zero issues.

To the OP, I think the guys above are being a little subtle so I'll be blunt.....
What did you do wrong? Lol. It's either you did something wrong hooking everything up or like another poster mentioned, you just had a lemon motor or an esc on the fritz.
gapjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The only way a motor can wreck a ESC, is if there was a dead short in windings.

I'll bet the ESC was on the fritz.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Default bad tacon motor

No. I don't work for Castle. I wish I did. I had no trouble with the ESC with a castle motor and a trinity motor. I didn't cut any wires and as far as i know the 3 motor wires can be hooked up in any configuration. I have always been told if the motor runs backwards switch the wires. I figure i just got a bad one. I am just afraid to get it replaced with another one fearing the same thing will happen again. I can't afford to keep buying new esc's. I just think they should publish all reviews and not just the good ones.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Default bad tacon motor

I use deans connecters on my batteries And the batteries are Zippy's. The esc was brand new. I used it 3 or 4 runs on a CC motor and a few on a new trinity cobalt motor then i got the tacon in the mail and wanted to try it. Thats when it happened.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Tech Elite

I think you should send it back to Castle. They will know if it was the ESC or motor. Could have honestly been a number of things. The ESC could have been close to its end then just crapped out. Ir the Tacon was junk and fried it. But you should send it back. Send both back. It should cost like $2-$3 to send the motor back 1st class. They will replace it.
Thats all you can really do man. Hope you get it fixed
Old 06-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I run Tacons and cant say i have ever had a problem.
Hell they rarely ever get hot..lol...