Wiki Posts
Search

18T vs. 18T2 vs. SC18

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 18T vs. 18T2 vs. SC18

I have the original RTR 18T. I have a Mamba 25 in it, carbon fiber chassis, titanium turnbuckles, the whol 9 yards.

I have never been able to get it set up right, for whatever reason, so its been a really badass basher for a while. I am considering putting a few bucks into it to get it dialed in, or upgrading.

I know the 18T2 and SC18 is belt drive. is there a downside to this over the shaft drive? more of a pain in the ass etc?

how many parts do these 3 share? ball diff, wheels, etc.? Can I swap the tunrbuckles over?

I took the 18T to the local track which is for 1/10 1/8 scale. it was bouncing around a little but did pretty well. How much lower ground clearence is the SC18 from the 18T?

basically just trying to figure out if its worth getting a new truck and starting all over or if they arent all that different.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Hrmmm

Well I tell ya, I have never owned/driven an rc18t. With that being said, if I were you, already having an rc18t, I would keep it and work on it.

The only difference I can see between the first one and the second one are the drives are different. Which is the reason I tell you that if you are remotely (no pun) happy with the rc18t as of right now, stick with it.

The belt drive is nice but its not 100% ready out of the box. If you get an older rc18t2, you will have to ask AE for a new revised front gearbox which fixes a belt tension problem.Also the belt has a tendency to rub the pinion which causes drag and some heat on the motor. Ae says they are working on a fix for the pinion rubbing problem but I have yet to have heard when.

Those are the two major problems with the T2/b2/sc18.

Now, I own an rc18b2, I have made the modifications that are needed. I have had soo much fun with that little car it should almost be illegal. I bought mine RTR, cause I liked the remote. Changed the electronics to brushless and its now 85% aluminum too. Not one day goes by that I don't think about tinkering or cleaning it. Yesterday I was trying to jump it across the highway by my house...just pure fun.

Wrapped up..stick with what you got unless you are dying for something new, expect some modding with the t2/b2/sc18, after its modded you will love it.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

thats kinda what I had in mind, thanks. Mainly I was curious abut the belt drive. I have put so much time and money into this I would be reluctant to replace, but willing if it made sense.

I have 2 mamba 25 motors, one of the ESC's fried. Ill just keep it as a backup. this thing hauls butt.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

funny how you started this thread I just got my t2-b2 kit together within the past few weeks with a novak brushless system (my first electric) this little sucker rips, anyway that fueled my friend to resurrect his stock 18t rtr. He hooked it up with a reedy bl system al shocks etc and a new steering system and servo. His is awesome too. as was said the drive is different plus the steering bellcrank. the pan is also a little wider and more rigid than the 18t do to the belt tunnel. I'd keep your 18t and run the hell out of it!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

so after I started this thread I dug out the 18T. i ditched the Integy carbon fiber chassis and went back to stock. rebuilt the shocks and dialed everything in. I also have 0 slop in the steering now, I superglued the servo saver together turns on a dime. Mounted brand new bow ties on black wheels. its fast as hell too, gonna be clearing everything at the 1/8 track tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Curious as to why you ditched your CF chassis? I've heard a lot of negative things about Integy as a company, but I also hear some of their parts are decent. Not everything they carry, of course.