Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod >

Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod

Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod

Old 11-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Lightbulb Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod

Okay, so when I opened up my new Micro SCT and drove it around, I was rather disappointed in the power (or lack of it). It seemed fast enough, but it doesn't have enough kick. Well, I tear it apart only to see it uses the same size motor as the Micro T! Although it's likely wound differently, it still is way too underpowered. A LiPo helps, but this little motor gets quite hot and is obviously being pushed too hard.

Looking at the chassis, there isn't a lot of room for a motor that's much bigger diameter, but there is plenty of room for a longer motor; a longer armature would likely have lower rpms, but give much greater torque. At our local hobby shop, I browsed around and found out that the N60 motor for a helicopter tail rotor is almost the same exact diameter as the stock motor, but almost twice as long. For only $10, I though it was definitely worth a shot.

The first (and really only) problem encountered is that the mounting holes are in different spots. Well-placed drill holes easily remedy this, and the motor fits in the stock plate perfectly with new holes. The motor just BARELY clears the on/off switch if you remove the hot glue from it, and actually makes the chassis look more "full" instead of the giant empty space the stock motor leaves. It looks very scale, and looks almost stock. In fact, the proportions make it look like a 1/10 scale with a 550 sized motor in comparison to the original.

As for the performance... it's definitely more powerful... but also SLOWER. DO NOT attempt this if you only are looking for more speed, as this will make the vehicle slow. To regain speed, I switched from NiMH to LiPo and used the highest gear ratio. The N60 motor with LiPo is just slightly faster than the stock motor with NiMh. The benefits to this mod are torque and efficiency. I can now wheelie, and the acceleration is INSANE. The motor gets no hotter than about 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit and runtimes are greatly improved. I have a feeling this motor could definitely handle more voltage for additional speed, but I'm sure the poor little ESC could not handle a 3s LiPo .

Anyways.
Here's the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod-motor1.jpg   Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod-motor2.jpg   Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod-motor3.jpg   Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod-motor4.jpg   Losi Micro SCT - Brushed N60 Motor Mod-motor5.jpg  

Old 11-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Reflex Racing has a good article on modding the gearbox. They also sell a shimmed diff kit that is supposed to make a huge difference. Check it out. The Reflex guys are top notch racers.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I never really had any problem with the gearbox. In fact, the gearbox on the sct is MUCH better than the Micro T's gearbox, which I had to shave plastic out of and shim. After some white lithium in the SCT, I ran it through about 3-4 runs and it now is very smooth.

My biggest issue was really just that the stock motor is extremely underpowered.