Wiki Posts
Search

Which Micro RC for my nephew

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Which Micro RC for my nephew

Looking for a micro RC for my nephew, he's 2.5yrs. My LHS carries losi so I was thinking the 1/24 Rally. Is there lots of hop ups for it?? I know my brother will be more into it than his son so I want to get something he can pimp out. Thanks for your help
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

They are cool little rigs. Runtime on them is probably about 8 minutes with the stock batt. Since it is so new there are not alot of hopups for them just yet. Losi has some alum hopups on their site but they are really pricey. Using a Lipo will increase runtime a bit and improve speed as well.

2.5 yrs old? Are you sure this isn't for your brother? That is a little young. My kid is 3 yrs old and he'd rather push around my rig like a Hot Wheel rather than use it as an RC
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes 2 1/2 is very young. My six and nine year old boys have Micro Desert trucks and use them from time to time but not regularly. I'm trying to get my older son to race 1/18th scale with me this winter and we will see how that goes.

For someone that young I would recommend 1/36 Losi or the newer 1/24th Losi rally or Short course truck. At that age you want it slow and easy to operate. Unless the other post is accurate and it's really going to be for his dad then he can add the lipo and hop up parts.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
Looking for a micro RC for my nephew, he's 2.5yrs. My LHS carries losi so I was thinking the 1/24 Rally. Is there lots of hop ups for it?? I know my brother will be more into it than his son so I want to get something he can pimp out. Thanks for your help
Unless he is a prodigy, 2.5 yrs is too young for r/c cars. Both my boy and girl started to figure out directional control at around 4-5 yrs old. 5 is when they really get that left is right towards you.
Might want to get him one of those Picco or equivalent 2ch helicopter. They only mainly go up and down. My boy was flying one of those at about 3, and can keep it from hitting the ceiling. He liked it.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

He is too young in my opinion for safety reasons. He can burn or cut his small fingers with a real RC car. Get him a Fisher Price RC for now.
If you decide to get him a real rc he must be supervised at all times....
not left on his own for even a few seconds....
You could get a simulator program that uses a TX and see how he does with that before moving him up into a real vehicle.