Search

rc18 batterys

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default rc18 batterys

hey guys,
so my friend is in the market for some 7.4v lipos for his 18r. what do you guys recomend? at the moment it is stock motor and esc.

thanks, justin
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Rhino 1550mah packs fit nicely and offer the best price available. The 1750mah can fit with a few tricks. Dont forget a low voltage cutoff.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Venom 2 cell 2000mah............domestic shipping and they're only 25 bucks.
Plus, if they explode and/or burn your house down, you actually have some sort of recourse.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Thats not a bad deal, especially with the connectors included, but Venom batteries have had a bad reputation for a long time so Ill stick with whats working.

What exactly is your recourse should your house burn down from using one of their packs? I dont care who you buy from, its your responsibility to keep them in a place where IF something does happen it cant spread. I hardly think they would offer to replace your house for you, so that leaves legal recourse.
Are you suggesting that we make our purchase decisions based on whether or not we can sue the company?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Well, it varies from one home owners insurer to the next, but many will not cover a claim that was caused by a lithium polymer pack that was imported illegally.
For instance.....most packs shipped from HK are classified as a gift, as it is illegal for them to ship the lipo pack (especially via airmail), therefore the pack itself is in the country illegaly.
Of course, it all depends on what you tell the fire inspector and/or your claims adjuster.
The shop I work at does not allow such packs (that are not distributed through anyone in the US) to even be in our building.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

I have to admit that I am fairly ignorant about the law and lithium batteries, but I would have to imagine that improper use or storage would automatically free the insurance company and the distributor no matter where the packs came from. Again, this just depends on what you tell the insurance company.

I have a hard time with hobby shops that will not allow Chinese products in their stores. Places like that are the reason I do not support my local hobby shops. If its truly a fire/insurance concern then I believe there is a significant lack of knowledge going on. I suspect its a bitterness towards the effects of Chinese distribution in the US. Instead of running those people off who come in with products you don't like, show them why your stuff is better and wait for them to come back when they have more money. If you truly have a better product then you will get many of those customers back. Laughing someone out of the store for coming in with an inferior product has never been a good business practice in my opinion. (not saying this is you, but I have seen it numerous times)
Old 09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

I definatley smell what you're cookin. We (here at the shop) always work to the best of our abilities to make the customer feel comfortable and well versed in whatever tech they may be looking into. If people want to run Turnigy packs in there own vehicles at one of our races......so be it, but we do not allow them in the building.

We have a Turnigy 3 cell (was a customers who brought it in to ask why his lipo bag evaporated) on our battery counter that is basically a pile of ash. Underneath the battery is a sign that reads........

"So how bad do ya really wanna save a few bucks on a Lipo over the internet, rather then buy a quality pack from us?"

BTW.........I'd shy away from the Dynamite Lipo Sacks.......there's a reason why they're half the price of any other flame retardant material.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

I have run almost all of them at one time or another. Many are OK for use with decent cost. But there are to many of them out there that can cause a lot of problems for Mom and Dad at home or for any age person for that matter. I can not discuss which ones they are for reasons but it would do you well to listen to the ones that have run multiple brand packs. The reason for me running MaxAmp packs in all my cars is because they make there packs in house, put them together and do there own tests before shipping them out to you the customer....I know all of them and that they want nothing but to give you the best quality and support at all costs. A lot of racers complain about their packs costing more then anyone else but you pay for what you get. They are now 30% cheaper then last year and still coming down so give them you time and see if they have something for you. Also John over at Team Scream Racing makes some killer packs with outstanding power. So my vote if you want the best packs for the right price then Go to www.MaxAmps.com of www.TeamScreamRacing.com and buy yourself top quality packs.....(Don't forget to purchase the lipo sack also. You should always use one. I do at the track or in my home)

Last edited by Micro-Man; 09-30-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

turnigy 35c 1800's fit perfect.

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
Well, it varies from one home owners insurer to the next, but many will not cover a claim that was caused by a lithium polymer pack that was imported illegally.
For instance.....most packs shipped from HK are classified as a gift, as it is illegal for them to ship the lipo pack (especially via airmail), therefore the pack itself is in the country illegaly.
Of course, it all depends on what you tell the fire inspector and/or your claims adjuster.
The shop I work at does not allow such packs (that are not distributed through anyone in the US) to even be in our building.
not true. Heres a customs declaration from my last purchase at HK:

Please keep this for warranty and tax purposes
Consignee type: Residence

Code Qty Description Unit price Total
T4000.2S.30HC 4 Turnigy 4000mAh 2S 30C hardcase pack $5.23ea $20.93
HS Code: 9503099
MADE IN CHINA
PLASTIC TOY PARTS
INVOICE TOTAL: $20.93USD
SHIPPING: $7.75USD

They only BS the total.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Ummm, I guess I'm missing the part on that declaration where it states that there is a Lithium Polymer Battery in that there package?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

nevermind

Last edited by burnineyes; 10-01-2010 at 11:47 PM.