Wiki Posts
Search

DuraTrax Vendetta SC Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losifiend
Ran both mine yesterday and the front diff went out on 1 after the first jump and the rear diff went on the other after 1 pack along with 1 universal. Is this a common problem? Do I need ball diffs and CVD's? Dam if that's the case we're talking close to $300 in upgrades for both little trucks. I paid $220 for both, lol
Yep....they can be a money pit.....the good thing is once you hop em up they stay pretty solid...... I can feel your pain I hopped up 2 STs at the same time....
Old 09-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

The track i race it at is very nice and well maintained.

I called Duratrax ( hobbico ) and explained my dis-appointment with them. They were very cool about it, and once I took pictures of the gear diff, and gave my invoice number from Tower Hobbies, they sent me out a set of ball diffs.

A set of them, for free. They arrived yesterday, i put them in and the whole truck just feels better.

The diffs have metal out drives and plastic gears.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

get you a set of the steel gears for your ball diff's. i got them in mine with 50/60 runs on them with out eating gears
Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Metal ring and pinions are entirely un-necessary unless you are running a Neu or TRX motor and have a very heavy finger.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dieselpower
Metal ring and pinions are entirely un-necessary unless you are running a Neu or TRX motor and have a very heavy finger.
if your running the stock motor yea u get some run time. but if your running brushless and don't like eating up ball or gear diff's this is the way to go
Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by jessbens
if your running the stock motor yea u get some run time. but if your running brushless and don't like eating up ball or gear diff's this is the way to go
I run a 10.5 brushless and 1800 lipo in mine with the plastic gear diff and the metal out drivers and have had no problems with it.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jessbens
Not.
I've had the same ring and pinion gears in my ST for the past 3 years coupled with a Goose 13.5 and have never, ever had to do anything to them other then rebuild the balls. If you build them properly, shim them properly and run them properly......there is absolutely no need for metal gears.

All I'm doing here is trying to get people to not spend money that they do not need to spend.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Diesel is correct the main gear on the diffs are extremely strong. I have been running a Neu geared for about 40mph and it will wheelie at anything below 25mph. I have been running this for over a year with very little wear or damage. As long as they are kept with a little grease on the gears it will last and last.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by leeleefocus
Diesel is correct the main gear on the diffs are extremely strong. I have been running a Neu geared for about 40mph and it will wheelie at anything below 25mph. I have been running this for over a year with very little wear or damage. As long as they are kept with a little grease on the gears it will last and last.
Wow,,i wish I could say the same,, either my driving is bad or my set up is,, lol,, lol,,, me personally I saved a boat load of money just from using the steel diffs,, but not everyone needs them,, if you are hard on the throttle and like to roll around in the dirt and if you are rating up the plastic gears then I would get the steel gears,,, I got them as a test before and I'm still satisfied with them,,
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

me to yea if you don't run your mini ever day then they yea will do. but if you run your every day like i do then the stock diff's just don't hold up no my off-road carpet track.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I found that installing 1 shim behind one of the bevel gears in the diff tightens it up a bit and limits the diff action just a little while helping the gears to mesh tighter and take out some of the play that can be destroying them. Also filling them with grease will greatly help, as well. I have done this to 1 of my 2 trucks and can tell the difference with the grease.

On my diff output drive issue, I called DTX and they are taking care of both trucks. All I have to say is that their customer service is golden!!!

Now I wait for my HK 2200mah LiPos to arrive.......
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cool trucks.
Anyone have an idea of how tall the tires are?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

about 2.4" tall