Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Mega Motors F150 1/28th >

Mega Motors F150 1/28th

Mega Motors F150 1/28th

Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mega Motors F150 1/28th

So I bought this truck last week, and have already added a new motor. I chose the Crest Spin Brush motor, as it has incredible torque in comparison to the cheap little motor that was in it. It was under 10 bucks, and it's a fun little drifter!

I want to figure out why they recommend that you only use alkaline batteries, and not lithium, or rechargeable batteries, any ideas? Is there a way to upgrade the system to allow me to use either of the other batteries, and maybe add more cells? Would I even be at risk of harming the system if I used the other batteries?

I am new to these smaller electronics, and don't understand how the caps, resistors, and transistors are working on it. If I could upgrade the electronics, to handle more battery power, I would be into that! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dbradford32
So I bought this truck last week, and have already added a new motor. I chose the Crest Spin Brush motor, as it has incredible torque in comparison to the cheap little motor that was in it. It was under 10 bucks, and it's a fun little drifter!

I want to figure out why they recommend that you only use alkaline batteries, and not lithium, or rechargeable batteries, any ideas? Is there a way to upgrade the system to allow me to use either of the other batteries, and maybe add more cells? Would I even be at risk of harming the system if I used the other batteries?

I am new to these smaller electronics, and don't understand how the caps, resistors, and transistors are working on it. If I could upgrade the electronics, to handle more battery power, I would be into that! Any help would be appreciated!
Most of us 1/28 scale racers use Kyosho cars. The Mega brand is more of a toy grade car and not Hobby grade. You are going to be on your own figuring out what you can and cannot do. Im sure you can use rechargeable aa s in the car/truck. take some pics and show us what you have done.....
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I haven't physically changed the car. Just the mechanical aspects. I put the spin brush motor in it, nothing special... haha It looks pretty stock. Have yet to hack the body on it. Though, I removed a rather heavy inner shroud... It was pointless. Now I am trying to figure out how to add another battery pack, to make a bit more power. If I could convert the car to a full 9v battery, the car would have double the power... I know it doesn't need it, but the motor would spin twice the speed, and destroy the pavement.

Mega Motors F150 1/28th-dscn7637.jpg
Mega Motors F150 1/28th-dscn7639.jpg

I think, on a straight stretch, the car gets up to around 8mph right as it sits. with the 9v mod, it would do at least double that. And if I mod the spin brush motor, I could be looking at 20+mph. By modding it, I mean re-wrapping the rotor, and doing some stronger magnets. The spin brush motor is a 130?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

I haven't physically changed the car. Just the mechanical aspects. I put the spin brush motor in it, nothing special... haha It looks pretty stock. Have yet to hack the body on it. Though, I removed a rather heavy inner shroud... It was pointless. Now I am trying to figure out how to add another battery pack, to make a bit more power. If I could convert the car to a full 9v battery, the car would have double the power... I know it doesn't need it, but the motor would spin twice the speed, and destroy the pavement.

Attachment 533644
Attachment 533645

I think, on a straight stretch, the car gets up to around 8mph right as it sits. with the 9v mod, it would do at least double that. And if I mod the spin brush motor, I could be looking at 20+mph. By modding it, I mean re-wrapping the rotor, and doing some stronger magnets. The spin brush motor is a 130?
i never took a spin brush apart. where you have to be careful is too hot a motor will fry your speed control. With mini z racing we can use some hot motors but we must FET our speedos to handle the power.
Im not sure how the 9v will work. You will get the higher voltage but it has no discharge power. In mini z racing we use 4 aaa cells 750-1000mah high discharge cells. we will discharge at like 5 amps. Hopped up mini zs can go blazingly fast over 50mph (very uncontrollable) Mini zs also cost about $150 rtr and in a hopped up state guys can have a $400 chassis.
Keep playing with yours and see how much it can take......
Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I plan on playing with this thing for a while. I know about the more expensive cars, just never really had the cash to build one. I'm 26, and just had my first kid, so money is tight still... I think this little car has potential, especially if I build up the custom frame, like I want! I wish I knew what to do as far as the board goes... I want to build another one, or find someone who might know a bit more about it...
Old 12-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I plan on playing with this thing for a while. I know about the more expensive cars, just never really had the cash to build one. I'm 26, and just had my first kid, so money is tight still... I think this little car has potential, especially if I build up the custom frame, like I want! I wish I knew what to do as far as the board goes... I want to build another one, or find someone who might know a bit more about it...
If you can locate the FETs used on the board they will have a number you can reference them (newark electronics) and see how much power they can take. You can either change the FET or stack it add more of the same to handle more power(FETs are cheap a few dollars each). To do this you need soldering skills. I would try using a small lipo for power. You can use a 1 cell (3.7v) or a 2 cell (7.4v)
If you get a chance when your inside the chassis take pics of the board(both sides) Ill help you locate the components.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help bermbuster, I really appreciate it. I will get those pics, and post them tonight. I think I know what the FETs are, but I am not positive. I have some soldering skills, been doing it since I was 9. I am 26 now. haha I also have a really nice weller industrial style soldering iron. It's pretty nice when I am in a hurry!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the help bermbuster, I really appreciate it. I will get those pics, and post them tonight. I think I know what the FETs are, but I am not positive. I have some soldering skills, been doing it since I was 9. I am 26 now. haha I also have a really nice weller industrial style soldering iron. It's pretty nice when I am in a hurry!
If you go to www.atomicmods.com they have tutorials on how to FET mini z boards so you can see what you will be doing......
Old 12-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Rookie

After looking at the board, it seems as though there are no fets... It has some kind of transistors instead. 3 prongs on each. This is bad, considering that there can be nothing else done to the board... Is there a way to buy a board for the mini z, or even an xmods? Maybe another brand? I mean, it seems like such a waste of time and money to work on this car, but I like it. It's a sweet little car, and as soon as I do the frame, it's going to be just as good, I hope... I don't want to spend a couple hundred on another car, as I can't afford that... Not saying that a mini z costs that much, I don't know anything about their cost...
Old 12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

After looking at the board, it seems as though there are no fets... It has some kind of transistors instead. 3 prongs on each. This is bad, considering that there can be nothing else done to the board... Is there a way to buy a board for the mini z, or even an xmods? Maybe another brand? I mean, it seems like such a waste of time and money to work on this car, but I like it. It's a sweet little car, and as soon as I do the frame, it's going to be just as good, I hope... I don't want to spend a couple hundred on another car, as I can't afford that... Not saying that a mini z costs that much, I don't know anything about their cost...
You can get a mini z am board for a few bucks but you will need a tx and crystals as well. You can pick up any brand 27mhz am TX to work w the mini z board. You can get an x mod TX as well (dont know much about them)

Since your current board seems non expandable...hop up the motor and voltage and see if she blows.....up...

Brand new complete x mods go for about $30 and the cheapest am mini z goes for about $90. Thats RTR.....
Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bermbuster
You can get a mini z am board for a few bucks but you will need a tx and crystals as well. You can pick up any brand 27mhz am TX to work w the mini z board. You can get an x mod TX as well (dont know much about them)

Since your current board seems non expandable...hop up the motor and voltage and see if she blows.....up...

Brand new complete x mods go for about $30 and the cheapest am mini z goes for about $90. Thats RTR.....
Thanks berm, appreciate all the help you have given, given my current board situation. Where would the best place be to get a mini z board? And which TX, and crystal do you suggest? I found a lot of 5 boards on ebay, might put in a bid, if the price doesn't go too high...
Old 01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Can you get the Deans micro plugs anywhere, other than atomic?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

all kinds of places. tower hobbies for one

http://www.towerhobbies.com/