Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Custom MRC X Chassis Suggestions Please. >

Custom MRC X Chassis Suggestions Please.

Custom MRC X Chassis Suggestions Please.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default Custom MRC X Chassis Suggestions Please.

Here is my custom made MRC X Chassis.
Still very much a prototype I'd like to make it better any suggestions would help.

Currently it allows 3 postiions for mounting the shocks..
Not sure what the Benefits would be on the diffrent postiions it only raises it a little higher.
But I'm guessing the angle of the shock also makes a diffrences.
(Sorry I just started crawling dont know all the details of making a better crawler yet.. lol)

Ive also added a lower body mount option again it's not much lower...
but any lower and the body starts hitting the chassis.

Again this is very much a prototype.. Any suggestions to make it better
would be much appreciated..

Here are some pics below.

MRC X Chassis with Stock chassis in the middle

MRC X Chassis Shocks Mounted on Last Hole

MRC X Chassis Shocks Mounted on First Hole

MRC X Chassis Shocks Mounted on First Hole Angle View

MRC X Chassis With Body
Old 11-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You don't want the shocks completely vertical nor do you want them laid down too much. You have to find a balance.

Also, it seems like your chassis offers the exact same geometry as the stock plates so there's no advantage to your chassis except for looks.

Are you trying to make a cool looking chassis or are you trying to also improve upon the performance of the stock chassis?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
You don't want the shocks completely vertical nor do you want them laid down too much. You have to find a balance.

Also, it seems like your chassis offers the exact same geometry as the stock plates so there's no advantage to your chassis except for looks.

Are you trying to make a cool looking chassis or are you trying to also improve upon the performance of the stock chassis?
I want to improve as well. But I havent been crawling much just started and wanted more input for those who know.. like yourself. so what would you do to improve the chassis design. One person told me to lower the Y link connection to the chassis to help with squat.. not sure what that means lol.
But will give it a try.. any other suggestions?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by makakoa808
I want to improve as well. But I havent been crawling much just started and wanted more input for those who know.. like yourself. so what would you do to improve the chassis design. One person told me to lower the Y link connection to the chassis to help with squat.. not sure what that means lol.
But will give it a try.. any other suggestions?
I think the person was referring to "torque-twist" not squat. The problem with shaft-driven crawlers is that the torque of the motor will twist the chassis to one side while climbing. This is bad and it hurts peformance. It's the biggest issue with shaft-driven crawlers and it's something that needs to be eliminated for a good chassis.

Look at the other chassis designs for the MRC. You can get ideas from them. You can also post this same thread, with photos, on a crawler specific site. There are crawling experts on that site that can give you input.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

I think the person was referring to "torque-twist" not squat. The problem with shaft-driven crawlers is that the torque of the motor will twist the chassis to one side while climbing. This is bad and it hurts peformance. It's the biggest issue with shaft-driven crawlers and it's something that needs to be eliminated for a good chassis.

Look at the other chassis designs for the MRC. You can get ideas from them. You can also post this same thread, with photos, on a crawler specific site. There are crawling experts on that site that can give you input.
Thanks for the info.. The only thing I've heard to help with torque twist is to get rid fo the Y link.. Maybe I just need to make optional mounting holes for diffrent setups depending on the situation.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info.. The only thing I've heard to help with torque twist is to get rid fo the Y link.. Maybe I just need to make optional mounting holes for diffrent setups depending on the situation.
Changing the Y-link, which is a 3 link suspension setup, to a full four link setup will help with torque twist. But moving the mount locations on the chassis will also help even if you keep the 3 link suspension.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Changing the Y-link, which is a 3 link suspension setup, to a full four link setup will help with torque twist. But moving the mount locations on the chassis will also help even if you keep the 3 link suspension.
So it seems to me it's all about options on where to connect to the chassis..

So with that in mind here is an updated design.. any thoughts..?
I call it the X3 chassis.. because it has 3 places
where you can connect the Y link, the shocks and body mount.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

So it seems to me it's all about options on where to connect to the chassis..

So with that in mind here is an updated design.. any thoughts..?
I call it the X3 chassis.. because it has 3 places
where you can connect the Y link, the shocks and body mount.
Don't quote me on this, but I think moving the Y-links/4-links down on the chassis helps to combat torque twist. Your chassis seems to give the option to move them up, but not down.

Again, I'm not an expert and you'd be better of posting this same thing on RCCrawler if you haven't already.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Don't quote me on this, but I think moving the Y-links/4-links down on the chassis helps to combat torque twist. Your chassis seems to give the option to move them up, but not down.

Again, I'm not an expert and you'd be better of posting this same thing on RCCrawler if you haven't already.
Thanks for the feed back
I do have it on RCCrawler... lol
The also mentioned moving the Y link down
Currently it allows you to mount the Y link in stock position, one up and one down. I'm going to be removing the one up...

Looking at a Two link option.. Anyone know of a particular brand Two Link that I can replace the Y link with...?

I could search the forum but it might be faster if someone just suggested one...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the feed back
I do have it on RCCrawler... lol
The also mentioned moving the Y link down
Currently it allows you to mount the Y link in stock position, one up and one down. I'm going to be removing the one up...

Looking at a Two link option.. Anyone know of a particular brand Two Link that I can replace the Y link with...?

I could search the forum but it might be faster if someone just suggested one...
OK good because the guys on RCCrawler know their stuff.

Most people make their own links from Axial parts and fabricate their own mounts. I don't know of a company that sells both the links and the mounts as a package, but I do know RCBros.com has real nice mounts for a great price. That's another good question for RCC.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Ok redesigned again...

The shock mounts can be lowered or raised to desired height.

The screw that mounts the shocks will also serve as a brace, going

across to the other side plate.

Having the shock mount holes at an angle helps with not changing the

ride height but I does still change a little. My concern with the shock

mounts angled up is that it will require you to cut holes in the body.

I know the design is very diffrent from whats out there... But the

beauty of this design is being able chance out the shock mounts

As you see in the image there is a straight and an angled option.

Maybe in the future have one with a 4 link option...

Any thoughts??

Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Ok redesigned again...

The shock mounts can be lowered or raised to desired height.

The screw that mounts the shocks will also serve as a brace, going

across to the other side plate.

Having the shock mount holes at an angle helps with not changing the

ride height but I does still change a little. My concern with the shock

mounts angled up is that it will require you to cut holes in the body.

I know the design is very diffrent from whats out there... But the

beauty of this design is being able chance out the shock mounts

As you see in the image there is a straight and an angled option.

Maybe in the future have one with a 4 link option...

Any thoughts??

A modular design has some cool "pros" like adjustability, but I'm not sure it would be the best for a crawler chasiss.

You need strength and rigidity for a crawler chassis. A one-piece design is better - or at least as few pieces as possible.

A chassis cannot and will not ever be everything to all people and all applications.

But you would set yourself apart from the rest of the chassis with the modular design.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

I appreciate all the input... It is kind of a complicated design along the lines of having 3 parts... Which I'm not really loving.. but it's diffrent from whats out there and thats kind of what I was going for.. It's a compromise I guess now to see how sturdy the design is... that I think will make or break the design.

Thanks again for everyones input.. will be cutting and posting pics soon.

Last edited by makakoa808; 11-18-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Ok got my MRC X Chassis, here are some pics.. I got it at the most extreme setting.. The highest high and lowest low possible with this X chassis.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Ok got my MRC X Chassis, here are some pics.. I got it at the most extreme setting.. The highest high and lowest low possible with this X chassis.

The chassis looks pretty good on the lowest setting. The highest setting is pretty useless IMO and I'm not sure you even need to offere 3" of ground clearance as an option.

Have you addressed torque twist yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.