Wiki Posts
Search

LST2 vs RC18.. which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default LST2 vs RC18.. which one?

I am thinking about getting an 18th scale 4wd and have narrowed it down to either the Losi or AE (I think). Any thoughts on which one is better and why? Also, is there something else out there I should consider? This would be used for racing with some bashing.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Dont bother with either of them , get a Mini E REVO VXL instead . Much better outta the box than the other two and will handle much better too .
Old 09-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Usually... when someone says they've narrowed it down to two choices, then they've eliminated the other options for whatever reasons. Perhaps budget.. since the VXL runs $120 more than an RC18 and $90 more than an MLST.

cjkranz -

For the options you've given and the usage you describe, I'd recommend the RC18. I have 4 Mini LST's. Only one is running. The other three have broken steering servos, fried differentials, or ESC's that don't work. The one that is running has had significant modifications, including the $85 single servo upgrade from Exotek.

My son and I race an Associated RC18MT and RC18B at the track every week and bash a batt or two in between those times. We've yet to damage either vehicle to the point it was undriveable though bent hingepins and shock shafts are common. His buggy just went through its first rear diff gears but I can't fault them there, plastic can only handle so much Mamba venom. LOL

Aside from the reliability factor, the RC18 will outhandle the Mini LST on the track every time.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Vendetta ST is another inexpensive option.

Out of the two you listed I'd go with the RC18 for sure. You can also get it in the MT version so it would be more monster truck-like like the LST2.

But either way the RC18 series has so many more options. And the LST2s break diffs for seemingly everybody. They're not reliable.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The RC18MT sounds like the better choice.. With the option of the mini E-Revo as compaired to the AE, how do each stand up? I've had a full sized E-Revo with multiple issues and had around 8 slashes. The slashes are very durable but don't handle nearly as well as my SC10.. Does the mini E-revo have any known issues and how well does it handle/race compaired to a brushless RC18MT.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

The Mini E REVO would still out handle the RC18 , the main problems with the RC18 is first the steering (very sloppy and doesnt center well) , the diffs are ball diff swith plastic gears and out drives (will wear very quickly with B/L power) , stock or FT shocks are crap IMO and leak badly .

Dont get me wrong , if you throw 2 or 300 dollars at it it will be a good car , but still not as good as the Mini E REVO right outta the box .

The MLST2 has most of the same issues , some are even worse (servos fry if you look at them cross eyed) , the stock center diff doesnt hold up too brushless power, same for the F/R diffs .

Your other choice for a great outta the box mini is an Ofna/Ho Bao Mini Hyper STe , its a 1/12 scale truggy and is very durable , will out handle ANY mini on the market , uses a full sized servo and a 1/10 brushless system (It comes ARTR and you choose the motor system and RX/servo).
http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=20798
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I've got the E-Revo VXL, RC18T and Xray M18T.

Out of the box the M18T is hands down the best handler, but it's not built for bashing. The RC18T is the worse handling, but a few simple steering upgrades fixes that right up and will pretty much equal the M18T in terms of steering.

The E-Revo is very tough and great for bashing, but it's not as precise as the M18T. Out of the box the suspension is very sloppy and steering is crap, but it's crazy fast if you go for the brushless version.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

The steering issue for the Mini LST and RC18 can be fixed with upgrades...

But the If you go brushless power the Mini LST Diffs keep breaking... no upgrades to fix it only bandages for temp fix...

So I would go with the RC18 if your planning to upgrade the motor in the future to a brushless motor... And everyone upgrades the motor sooner or later.....

But if you have the money... Go with the Mini E- Revo..
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think it depends on where you will be running the RC. Mini Revo will not even get around the track where I race, its a mini specific track. On a larger track with big jumps the Revo would be best, but for smaller mini tracks its just too big.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Your other choice for a great outta the box mini is an Ofna/Ho Bao Mini Hyper STe , its a 1/12 scale truggy and is very durable , will out handle ANY mini on the market , uses a full sized servo and a 1/10 brushless system (It comes ARTR and you choose the motor system and RX/servo).
http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=20798
I would go with this. Its only a bit bigger than the rest, and honestly makes it really worth it since you wont get hung up on quite as much. Plus the drivetrain will handle everything you throw at it without any problems and the servo is full size and will handle abuse as well and work correctly, both issues that your other two would have. I actually have one for sale right now either as a roller or artr so if you decide to go this way shoot me a PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

is there a link to an exploded view of the min hyper? What is the diffs spider gears made off?
Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

All metal baby and tuneable with oil or grease.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ride1226
All metal baby and tuneable with oil or grease.
So it has front center and rear diffs?
If so next question is .. is there after market parts for it?
And how available is it?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Basically it is a crt.5. Nothing on it needs upgrading but for me my LHS stocks the stuff for it since they carry the truck. I dont think there are any crazy aftermarket parts for it but really the truck needs nothing. It is super dureable ( i have launched mine over 15 ft straight up) and handles the power amazingly. I had a 4600 in mine on 3s for a bit and it was a damn rocket but came back pack after pack.

Oh and yes, front middle and rear diffs.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by makakoa808
So it has front center and rear diffs?
If so next question is .. is there after market parts for it?
And how available is it?

Yes , it is a mini sized 1/8 Ofna Hyper ST truggy and the drive line is modeled after a 1/8 buggy/truggy too so its really tough , no aftermarket support for it yet but Ofna is making some hop ups for it . They are not really needed though as the chassis is tough as well .

Parts availability depends on you LHS , but there are 3 reliable online shops that carry parts .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.