Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales
Is this about the best ESC going for 1/18 and 1/16th? >

Is this about the best ESC going for 1/18 and 1/16th?

Is this about the best ESC going for 1/18 and 1/16th?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Is this about the best ESC going for 1/18 and 1/16th?

Castle creations Mamba pro >>>>>> http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/24737

I am just getting ready to order a couple new AON motors 4900kv and am setting it up in a Kyosho mini inferno. Have you guys had good luck with this ESC? does it stay cool?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

i run that esc with a losi 9400 and love it zero problems
Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

For the heavier Duratrax and Kyosho vehicles, I would have to recommend the Novak Mongoose systems or if you have no budget....the Goose motors with a Tekin RS ESC. The sensored design makes for much smoother throttle response and low speed driveability. The Micro Pro is more then capable of running an Aon, Ammo, Align motor, but are better suited for the smaller mini vehicles.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
Castle creations Mamba pro >>>>>> http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/24737

I am just getting ready to order a couple new AON motors 4900kv and am setting it up in a Kyosho mini inferno. Have you guys had good luck with this ESC? does it stay cool?
Wow! you must be one of the Last Mohikans if you still racing a mini inferno. The forum on halfeight.com is since last year dead. Many of the guys sold their stuff and went 1/18 racing or quit in the mini's.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah i would go with the mamba esc i have a mamba BL setup in all of my cars and i have no problem in mine
Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks guys. And yeah...the Tekin system is something i would like to get for a B44 that i want to get. For the M.I. , i have ran one with the original AON 4900kv and it was extremely fast. I am running on a smaller back yard track , and that's about the only place i'll be running it. I'm not into the high speed drag race stuff on the front street.

MR Unlimited :....yeah , i know the M.I. isn't all that popular any more , but man , i just love mine. I tried to stock up on parts and so forth , and both my little buggy and truggy both run the KMRC chassis. I'll tell ya what , when i get this thing on a smaller , smooth type track , i can give the 1/10th guys fits. I'm amazed how these little M.I. handle compared to the 1/8th scale buggies i used to race.

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Smaller backyard track = lower speeds. Novak Mongoose = low speed drive-ability. Nuff said. The Tekin 10/th stuff is nice, but the mini rage systems are sensorless.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It seems many people like the smoothness of sensored motors for low speeds. I don't think its nearly as much of an issue as many people think. I have several systems from Novak, Castle, and even a cheaper Hobbywing/EZRun. I run 1/10th scale and 1/18th scale. I mostly run 1/18th on a very tiny track, built in my friends backyard, a fast lap is about 5 seconds. We often just go out and turn laps, but occasionally we time races. While turning laps, we often wait for others to catch up in order to get more side by side racing. The owners of the track were running Mamba Micro Pro systems when I started coming out. I thought the Novak system would perform better after reading countless posts about low speed driveability. I ended up selling the Mongoose and getting a Mamba for myself. I can creep around the track and stop and start as much as I want, it is always as smooth as I could ever ask. I also ordered a Hobbywing/EZRun brushless system. I thought for sure I would jerk and kick to a start everytime I had to stop or slow to a creep, but it runs as smooth as I could ask under any circumstance, even from a backwards roll. Maybe there is circumstances where a sensored would be smoother, but I believe that is a thing of the past. I cant say much about the extra weight of the car you are running, but I do know Castle build their stuff extra tough and I dont think heat would ever be an issue. They even say on the website that it is built to handle larger cars, larger motors, and tall grass. You know their stuff is built well when people all over are using the 1/10th scale Mambas in monster trucks and 1/8th scale buggys with no problems.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by burnineyes View Post
It seems many people like the smoothness of sensored motors for low speeds. I don't think its nearly as much of an issue as many people think. I have several systems from Novak, Castle, and even a cheaper Hobbywing/EZRun. I run 1/10th scale and 1/18th scale. I mostly run 1/18th on a very tiny track, built in my friends backyard, a fast lap is about 5 seconds. We often just go out and turn laps, but occasionally we time races. While turning laps, we often wait for others to catch up in order to get more side by side racing. The owners of the track were running Mamba Micro Pro systems when I started coming out. I thought the Novak system would perform better after reading countless posts about low speed driveability. I ended up selling the Mongoose and getting a Mamba for myself. I can creep around the track and stop and start as much as I want, it is always as smooth as I could ever ask. I also ordered a Hobbywing/EZRun brushless system. I thought for sure I would jerk and kick to a start everytime I had to stop or slow to a creep, but it runs as smooth as I could ask under any circumstance, even from a backwards roll. Maybe there is circumstances where a sensored would be smoother, but I believe that is a thing of the past. I cant say much about the extra weight of the car you are running, but I do know Castle build their stuff extra tough and I dont think heat would ever be an issue. They even say on the website that it is built to handle larger cars, larger motors, and tall grass. You know their stuff is built well when people all over are using the 1/10th scale Mambas in monster trucks and 1/8th scale buggys with no problems.
In what vehicle are you running the Mamba?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree with burnineyes. I've had the same results with my sensored/sensorless brushless setups.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Personally I just have a M18 and RC18T. One of my fellow racers has a Duratrax buggy with a Micro Pro and Ammo Motor, he runs without complaint. I agree the 20mm motors dont do well with larger cars, but the Micro Pro can easily handle much more current.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Watts = Voltage x Current (Amps)

The amount of Watts to start your car rolling, to keep it rolling, and to stop it from rolling will vary greatly due to the the weight (barring other variables such as tires, gearing....) The greater the weight, the more Watts you need to feed the motor through your ESC. It is a simple formula.

The advantage of the larger motors are their ability to handle greater Watts. Unfortunately the disadvantage of the larger motors are their natural kv is lower. Because torque and kv are inversely related, you can never have the best of 2 worlds (speed & torque). So the masters are the ones who are able to blend those to fit their enviorment and competitions.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK (AON Electric)
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, they use electricity.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spngr311 View Post
I agree with burnineyes. I've had the same results with my sensored/sensorless brushless setups.
Does this mean that both of ya'll have run sensored and sensorless setups in your Vendettas or KMIs?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

I do not have a Vendetta myself. But I have run sensored and sensorless in my RC18s. I dont know if my friend has used sensored in his Vendetta or not, but I dont think he cares since he is so happy with the current Micro Pro/Ammo setup. Im sure there will always be a rare case that sensored provides a much needed creep. My guess is rock crawling would be sensored only, these days sensorless is just cheaper, more efficient, and plenty smooth for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service