18th speed record?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 18th speed record?

rc speed record?
After finishing school and defering my uni degree, I've had alot of time on my hands. I need something to do Lately my interest in the hobby has regrown and I've been pondering the idea of attempting an 18th speed record. It is early days yet and I'm not sure if I will follow through with the idea. I don't know what the speed records are for 18th scale or the best way to achieve them but I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on my ideas.

My image is a micro rs4 running on a 6s2p lipo. The battery layout will have to be whacky because the rear needs to pivot for the suspension to work and I need to make room for the belt also. I only have 2 of the size battery i want to use (3S) but for the 6S2P it will require 4 so I will try to illustrate as well as I can with photos. Just add both battery placements together to make 4 batteries. For the rear suspension pod to pivot, the backmost battery will be raised slightly and mounted to the upper deck. Setup like this the batteries will output 40C and 3000mah at 22.2v. These are only cheap batts though so higher quality ones like thunder power etc. would most likely have a higher discharge rate.

because of the battery placements, I would have to put the motor behind the back wheels and the servo infront of the front wheels. This would only need a custom motor plate and the front axle hubs switched which are minor mods. But I am worried about the motor being further past the rear suspensions point of pivot, meaning virtually a larger unsprung weight upon the chassis and larger "shudders" to the motor. The motor wouldnt be the 380 shown in the photo for illustration but most likely a 430 because i believe they are the largest that can fit between the rear wheels.

I know the micro rs4 is more or less an expired chassis and the M18 is far more recent and advanced, however I think the MRS4 driveline and weight distribution is more suitable for high speeds. I do know that the MRS4 does have some weak points however, like the front end drivetrain which breaks under any strain. What I am most worried about is weight, weight distribution, aerodynamics and tires though.

It is still only ideas in my head, though. I need to save for uni more than anything and this won't help that haha. But I still wouldn't mind trying this.

I'd like to hear some hobbyist thoughts and ideas on this. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails 18th speed record?-picture-0022.jpg   18th speed record?-picture-0033.jpg   18th speed record?-picture-0044.jpg   18th speed record?-picture-0055.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

According to this site, the current M 18 speed record is 83mph:
http://fastestrc.blogspot.com/2009/0...le-105mph.html