Help!? RC18T Problem

Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Questions?? Help!? RC18T Problem

Ok, so i have a 18T FT with a genuine alloy upgrade kit and the front alloy dogbones are catching on the inner (large) hub bearing and binding on the shaft coupler and all sorts of kaos. It's ok in a straight line but the moment i turn it binds like crazy. So much so it grabbed and cart-wheeled down the road. any ideas!?

One other thing i noticed is the dog bone end pins actually leave the coupler completely at full lock, any further turn and the bone would probably fall out.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Ditch the dogbones and get som CVD's....I haven't used dogbones on my RC18 in so long I can't even think what could be catching.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

you might have forgotten to put the springs back in the outdrives before putting the axles back in. They're necessary to keep the dogbones seated in the hubs.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
you might have forgotten to put the springs back in the outdrives before putting the axles back in. They're necessary to keep the dogbones seated in the hubs.
The Springs are in there, i even added some small nylon spacers in the out drive to add more pressure to the dogbone, as the dogbone was slipping out all together under load (alota load- thanks Reedy ) and the binding isn't from excess pressure of the spacers, it's just crap design. the hub shaft cup isnt deep enough so the dogbone end pin can exit the hub shaft cup a fraction, then as it moves back in it catches (on the bearing and shim). i'm going to pick up the CVD's (pn: 21230 if anyone else comes across this hassle) today. be done with the problem once and for all.

I might say i'm a ridiculously big fan of AE for thier quality and design but i'm a little let down by this. now i have to flip another $100AUD for CVD's that should come standard on the Factory Team Kit...

Ta guys, i'll let you know what i think of the CVDs, (coz i know you need my opinion)
Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I wouldnt bother with the cvd's, seeing how expensive they are. They dont really make the vehicle that much better, and it wont drive much better either. Take out the shims your talking about, as you dont need that much pressure, which is also most likely making your vehicle bind.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maybelater30 View Post
Ditch the dogbones and get som CVD's....I haven't used dogbones on my RC18 in so long I can't even think what could be catching.
+1 on the CVD axles. If money is tight just get the CVD axles in the front. Leave the dogbones in the rear. You can add the read CVD axles later.