Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIP Center Ball Diff Problem - MLST2

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default MIP Center Ball Diff Problem - MLST2

Just installed my new MIP center ball diff in my MLST2 and I am having problems. I put everything back together and noticed there was some notchiness in the drivetrain. When I rolled it it seemed to get notchy every couple of inches and there was enough friction that it would not roll if you pushed it. This was with the motor out of the truck.

I thought at first the center diff was too tight or I assembled it wrong so I took the center transmission assembly (which houses the center diff) back out and rolled the car with the center diff out. It rolled fine so it seems the front and rear diffs are OK.

I also have been spinning the spur gear on the center tranny and it spins smoothly. It seems to only do this when everything is put together.

The only thing I think it could be is the dogbones are pressing to tightly against the center diff outdrives as it looks like they are compressing it.

This would be an MIP defect on their product which seems rare give the good feedback about their products you always hear.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Forgot to mention I have an Exotek single servo conversion.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Figured it out in case anyone else runs into this. The center dogbones were jammed to tight so I had to dremel the ends down a bit so they would not jam.

Working great now.