R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Micro and Mini Scales (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales-115/)
-   -   mini discharge tray??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/micro-mini-scales/276929-mini-discharge-tray.html)

carl72s 02-19-2009 01:05 PM

mini discharge tray???

Does anyone know of or can give advise on a battery discharge/balance tray for mini batteries???

trerc 02-19-2009 02:25 PM

Tekin makes the mini battery dr.

http://www.teamtekin.com/dischargers.html

Psycho Man 02-19-2009 02:34 PM

The absolute best way to equalize your micro cells is to get a Novak Smart tray and then bend the tabs in until you can get them all to make the correct contact with the pack. If it’s the SE version set the cut-off to 1.0 if it's the original version, set the cut-off to .9 as that's as high as it will go. Micro cells do not like to go below .9 per cell, and we've seen the best results using a 1.0v cutoff. Be sure to tray your packs before charging them so that they are at a good baseline to start off the charging process. Take it from someone who has cycled through ALOT off battery cells, follow this advice and you will not be disappointed. I hope this helps you.

Psycho Man

duneland 02-19-2009 04:29 PM

Integy has a nice one made for the 2/3 cells.

geeunit1014 02-19-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by duneland (Post 5455163)
Integy has a nice one made for the 2/3 cells.

-1. the integy tray will deadshort the cells. as tim said, this is not good. maybe for older cells (1100's etc), but for new stuff, you dont want to do that. it does however, make have a nice plate that easily adapts to the smart tray :D

Duster_360 02-19-2009 06:37 PM

I've got an older Tekin mini-batt Dr and my only complaint with mine is thats its slow - low discharger rate. Looking at the new one, looks like they've fixed that. I still have a few ib1400 pacs and they like being disch before re-charging. They're not matched pacs, but after coming off tray and then the charger, they look like matched pacs.

duneland 02-20-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 (Post 5455520)
-1. the integy tray will deadshort the cells. as tim said, this is not good. maybe for older cells (1100's etc), but for new stuff, you dont want to do that. it does however, make have a nice plate that easily adapts to the smart tray :D

I have had this thing for years, and use it on all my packs... However, I must admit that i don't race stock very often and usually run LiPo. I also do not put much effort into stock when I do run it. All my nimh packs work ok though.

geeunit1014 02-20-2009 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by duneland (Post 5457920)
I have had this thing for years, and use it on all my packs... However, I must admit that i don't race stock very often and usually run LiPo. I also do not put much effort into stock when I do run it. All my nimh packs work ok though.

The thing about it is, that with deadshorting you will see an increase in voltage, and lower IR, but the trade off is a lot less runtime. If you tray the pack the right way, not as much peak voltage, but the average voltage is better, because it has more runtime, and holds it through the curve better. In the end, they will perform about the same, but the deadshorted pack will have less runtime. Also, with the integy tray, the pack isnt truly equalized until deadshort. The tekin tray is the same way, its not really equalized until they all get down to the .5 cutoff, which is still not good.

duneland 02-21-2009 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by geeunit1014 (Post 5458678)
The thing about it is, that with deadshorting you will see an increase in voltage, and lower IR, but the trade off is a lot less runtime. If you tray the pack the right way, not as much peak voltage, but the average voltage is better, because it has more runtime, and holds it through the curve better. In the end, they will perform about the same, but the deadshorted pack will have less runtime. Also, with the integy tray, the pack isnt truly equalized until deadshort. The tekin tray is the same way, its not really equalized until they all get down to the .5 cutoff, which is still not good.

Thanks, I'll have to look into doing it the right way for the 1/18 pan class. That's about the only thing I run without LiPo.