Search

Just went brushless in my Losi MMB/LST2

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 PM
mhx
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up Just went brushless in my Losi MMB/LST2

I have to say being a newb to RC It wasnt that hard.

4200Kv Mamba Micro Pro

2cell losi lipo with deans connectors
1x, 1000mah and 1x1650mah

Its about 5mph faster than stock. I wanted to go brushless for better throttle response and better battery life and I am pretty sure I got what i wanted.

I still have to do some battery life testing. Got kinda busy with weekend and family today.

I had picked up some losi pinions but i put the 15 and 16 in the car was pretty about 8mph slower than stock. I put the stock 22T pinion back in and the cars running way the way i want. Its pretty cold out about 45 tonight here in Houston, so the motor hardly was warm.

Will I be ok with the 22T pinion? Just watch it when it warms up to 90 out?

I also need some shorter motor mount screws with a bigger washer like the stock ones. But the stock ones didnt fit. I had to find a temp fix at my LHS & ace hardware. My fix works just not the prettiest.

Still on stock servos!

I have Lundsford tie Rods ready for install, but waiting till I decide what to do with the stearing. the LXT kit isnt in stock anywhere right now, plus its pricey.

But overall this is a cool car. Fun for messing around on my street and in the grass.
Attached Thumbnails Just went brushless in my Losi MMB/LST2-img_0628.jpg   Just went brushless in my Losi MMB/LST2-img_0631.jpg   Just went brushless in my Losi MMB/LST2-img_0632.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You might be a little high with a 24T.

Here is a link Losi has about which to use with what. Look towards the bottom of the pdf and it graphs out the size of motor to tooth size with they battery your using ..

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...otorManual.pdf
Old 02-01-2009, 06:02 AM
mhx
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yah 22T might be in the YELLOW if a 4200kv was on the graph

ill watch temps, speeds are good as they are

Plus its easier to DETUNE it than take the pinion off.

I got a heatsink on the motor. I have one of those inferred thermostats at work ill borrow.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If you want speed 3s is the way too go .

Watch temps really good with that gearing once it gets warm , dont want too cook your motor ...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
If you want speed 3s is the way too go .

Watch temps really good with that gearing once it gets warm , dont want too cook your motor ...
not really

very narrow gearing window, and with the extra speed and power as a result of the 3S you're going to be blowing through all kinds of parts especially in the drivetrain
Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

That motor will be getting very warm with a 24t pinion. The reason why is that the Mini LST comes with 2 370 sized motors stock and you replace those 2 motors with a single and smaller 280 size motor. Not to mention you are putting a lot of power through it with the Li-po. Your best bet would be to start at like a 17t pinion and work your way up from there depending on the temperature. The reason why it is slower is because you bought the 4200KV which is a very good motor for torque, not top speed. If you were looking for speed you should have gone with the 5400KV or 6800KV set-up.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIVipers
The reason why is that the Mini LST comes with 2 370 sized motors stock and you replace those 2 motors with a single and smaller 280 size motor..
who does that?