R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Micro and Mini Scales

Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Teach me about bushless setups!

Here's the deal...I have a brand new stock Mini-T. It's slow as balls in my opinion, and I want some speed!

I understand how brushless/brushed motors work, I understand recievers, ESC's, etc.

Although, I'm not sure what's compatible with what.

I want to know how to set it all up and make it work. I've read about dynoing the motors or something...that confuses me. I've read about tuning...what's that about?

Ahh! So confused!

Last edited by Iam99x; 01-30-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Iam99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Before you look to a motor to gain speed, you need to check the Mini T out closely. My stock T is fast and with a Baja brushed motor it is very fast. If yours is that slow, you may have a bind in the drive train. Look for spur and pinion to tight. Back the motor away fromt the spur and with the pinion not meshed with spur, spin the right wheel. Doe the tranny spin freely, if not you have a problem inside tranny case. Are the rear hubs rubbing on the wheels due to being too tight? Is the radio and ESC set up correctly. Good batts or are they older? What batts are you using 4, 5, or 6 cell?

You can just bolt in more power but if you have other issues you will just burn stuff up. A lot of our guys run the Tekin and Mini Rage brushless as well as the Mamba ESC and motor. Many combinations from mild to wild and the ESCs can be adjusted for brakes, acceleration, etc.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just finished assembling one last night. The biggest hang up was the wheels against the rear carriers. I don't know if it was the CVDs, the aluminum carriers, or what, but it was bound up badly. I dremeled quite a bit off the back of the wheels. Everything spins freely now.

I have a 6800kV mamba a 2 cell lipo in it. It's plenty fast and can carry the front wheels on carpet for more than 20 feet. Any motor over 6000kV with a 2 cell is probably too fast to race and just for bashing.
123quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123quattro View Post
I just finished assembling one last night. The biggest hang up was the wheels against the rear carriers. I don't know if it was the CVDs, the aluminum carriers, or what, but it was bound up badly. I dremeled quite a bit off the back of the wheels. Everything spins freely now.
next time, instead of doing all the dremel work get a pack of rc18 axle spacers/pins and place a spacer between the axle pin and the bearings on your rear hubs. and do NOT tighten down the wheels so much, snug is good enough.

Quote:
I have a 6800kV mamba a 2 cell lipo in it. It's plenty fast and can carry the front wheels on carpet for more than 20 feet.
a properly adjusted DD Slipper will cure that problem
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw View Post
Before you look to a motor to gain speed, you need to check the Mini T out closely. My stock T is fast and with a Baja brushed motor it is very fast. If yours is that slow, you may have a bind in the drive train. Look for spur and pinion to tight. Back the motor away fromt the spur and with the pinion not meshed with spur, spin the right wheel. Doe the tranny spin freely, if not you have a problem inside tranny case. Are the rear hubs rubbing on the wheels due to being too tight? Is the radio and ESC set up correctly. Good batts or are they older? What batts are you using 4, 5, or 6 cell?

You can just bolt in more power but if you have other issues you will just burn stuff up. A lot of our guys run the Tekin and Mini Rage brushless as well as the Mamba ESC and motor. Many combinations from mild to wild and the ESCs can be adjusted for brakes, acceleration, etc.

It's brand new. Nothing is in a bind, I'm just not satisfied with the stock >15mph speed.

I want something that will run atleast 45mph. That's just the way I am!

Quote:

I have a 6800kV mamba a 2 cell lipo in it. It's plenty fast and can carry the front wheels on carpet for more than 20 feet. Any motor over 6000kV with a 2 cell is probably too fast to race and just for bashing.
I see. Well, I'm not going to be entering any races. I just want something that's fast as hell for what it is. Bashing is my 2nd priority!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Suspended

you might want to spend some more time reading the threads here
there is a lot of good information telling you your options

or check out the castle or tekin sites for brushless options
http://www.teamtekin.com/minirage.html
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...cts_drive.html
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Being new doesn't mean it doesn't have some friction. I would check everything anyway.

If you want to go 45 mph, I would have a good supply of spare parts. If you flip it or tap something, you will need to replace several parts (most likely).

Some of our guys run Associated 18ts, Bs, Rs with Tekin 9000 kv Mini Rages. Very very fast. They all keep lots of spare parts in their pit boxes.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
you might want to spend some more time reading the threads here
there is a lot of good information telling you your options

or check out the castle or tekin sites for brushless options
http://www.teamtekin.com/minirage.html
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...cts_drive.html
I'll check that out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw View Post
Being new doesn't mean it doesn't have some friction. I would check everything anyway.

If you want to go 45 mph, I would have a good supply of spare parts. If you flip it or tap something, you will need to replace several parts (most likely).

Some of our guys run Associated 18ts, Bs, Rs with Tekin 9000 kv Mini Rages. Very very fast. They all keep lots of spare parts in their pit boxes.
I've looked over everything and it all functions as it should. I mean, it runs nearly 15mph. I checked it with my car.

I have a video of me driving it on my treadmill @ 10mph. Full throttle makes it jump off the front so I'm assuming it has it's power.

Haha yeah, I'll definetely have extra parts.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Options:

1) Take time to understand "what's what" and ask a clear question as to what you do not understand and what your goal is.
2) Get a BL (i.e. MAMBA PRO) ESC, an 8000kv BL motor, a 3 cell lipo. Let 'er rip going lightning speed. Break it. Then come back to point 1)

Don't want to be mean here but the following two statements are odd:

I want to know how to set it all up and make it work.

&

I understand how brushless/brushed motors work, I understand recievers, ESC's, etc.

What do you have to start with???

Just a thought...

Last edited by PierreV; 01-29-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: lll
PierreV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreV View Post
Options:

1) Take time to understand "what's what" and ask a clear question as to what you do not understand and what your goal is.
2) Get a BL (i.e. MAMBA PRO) ESC, an 8000kv BL motor, a 3 cell lipo. Let 'er rip going lightning speed. Break it. Then come back to point 1)

&

Just a thought...

how true.
if he actually understood this information already there would be no need to ask.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreV View Post
Options:

&

Just a thought...
What I mean is, I know how brushless and brushed motors work. I understand what a receiver does, I understand what ESC's do, etc.

I DON'T know what is compatible with what without burning something up. For example, I don't want to get a receiver and ESC that won't work with each other. I don't want to get a battery TOO powerful or underpowered for my setup.

What I have to start with is a stock Mini T, the urge to make it fast, and a mind open for education.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam99x View Post
What I mean is, I know how brushless and brushed motors work. I understand what a receiver does, I understand what ESC's do, etc.

I DON'T know what is compatible with what without burning something up. For example, I don't want to get a receiver and ESC that won't work with each other. I don't want to get a battery TOO powerful or underpowered for my setup.

What I have to start with is a stock Mini T, the urge to make it fast, and a mind open for education.

you can learn a lot just by taking the time to read the threads, probably more than you can by asking a bunch of questions your not sure about. like PierreV was saying, doing your homework will let you ask better questions

Last edited by RobbieT; 01-29-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
you can learn a lot just by taking the time to read the threads,
probably more than you can by asking a bunch of questions your not sure about
I have been reading threads. I haven't found one explaining my unsure questions.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam99x View Post
I have been reading threads. I haven't found one explaining my unsure questions.
i am not slamming you, but you really haven't asked anything other than very vague questions. that's why you need to do some more reading.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
i am not slamming you, but you really haven't asked anything other than very vague questions. that's why you need to do some more reading.
I mentioned something about dynoing R/C cars. I have no idea how that's done. I've dyno'd real cars...but never a R/C cars. I don't even know if it's the same concept.

So here's a start. How do you dyno a R/C car?